Map icons not working

Funk to Funky

When I hover the cache icon on the map no information for that cache comes up at all, so I can't access caches from the map page at the moment (which is the way I do it 99% of the time). Was fine earlier - has there been any alterations at all?

I'm using win7 and IE.

Stuart

Edited by Funk to Funky

When I hover over an Icon the name of the cache comes up but I am unable to open the cache for more info. Previously this has been solved with restarting Firefox or rebooting computer. Now nothing I do seems to solve the problem and it has been this way for a few days. I am a premium member also. Using Win7 Firefox 21 and Web 03 Geocache server

Edited by gawoodswanderer

Had this problem (no information popup on the map) a couple of times already. Sometimes waiting or zooming or F5 helps, but today for example it just does not work. I tried Firefox (20.0.1) and IE (8), I tried swich of the Antivirus, i tried reload a couple of times but no cache info on the map appears.

"I am: WEB15 " ,Windows XP SP3

Edited by Ionspy

same problem. glad it's not just me. hope they figure out there is a problem and get it fixed because it is very frustrating to a non-tech minded person. and no. zooming in and out doesn't help and sometimes rebooting helps and sometimes it doesn't. mostly it doesn't.

Please be sure to indicate what OS, browser, and browser version you are using, and please include what Geocaching.com server you are currently on (you can determine this by visiting http://www.geocaching.com/whoami).

I am: WEB11

Browser: FireFox 20.0.1 or previous versions, doesn't seem to make a difference

hope they figure out there is a problem and get it fixed because it is very frustrating to a non-tech minded person. and no. zooming in and out doesn't help and sometimes rebooting helps and sometimes it doesn't. mostly it doesn't.

The site is now slower than molasses and cache icons are not responding. I agree that this is very frustrating when you are trying to plan an outing either for later today or tomorrow.

Edited by ngrrfan

I am trying to hover over the map icons and am not getting any response. I am using windows 7, and the browser is chrome. I switched over to IE just to see if there was a problem with chrome and I have the same issue.

Is there anything I need to do?

thanks!!

Found this post while searching for info on my current problem:

I don't see any cache icon on the map at all!

Icons appear if I choose a pocket query to be visible on the map, but returning to search mode the map is empty again.

And: yes, there ARE caches!

I am: WEB01, MacOSX 10.7, Safari 6.0.4

Found this post while searching for info on my current problem:

I don't see any cache icon on the map at all!

Icons appear if I choose a pocket query to be visible on the map, but returning to search mode the map is empty again.

And: yes, there ARE caches!

I am: WEB01, MacOSX 10.7, Safari 6.0.4

DITTO!!!!

WEB20 Windows 7 Home Os

..occasionally I have the same problem over here, most of the time zooming in/out a couple of times solves the problem, sometimes closing the map and opening it up again works if the first option didn't, and if that doesn't work, switching from IE9 to Google Chrome does the trick for me the other times, although the last couple of weekends there have been times that GC overall has been so slow that the maps took ages to load, no matter what browser I used...

Had the same problem yesterday. While on the maps and loading some caches the Icons just vanished. I was on Windows XP, latest upgrades. Went to my wifes computer with Windows 7 and same problem. Went to my laptop with windows 7 and same thing. No icons. Did all the things you are suppose to do like F5, Log off and log on, Restart computers as well as enlarging and small sizing maps. No luck. Then without any warning the Icons appeared.

Today first thing in the morning same problem but it fixed itself and all seems to be OK now. Keeping fingers crossed. I believe it is a website problem that Groundspeak needs to address and fix.

I have icons, but if I click on cache icon, the bubble appears and disappears. I have to click on icon 3-4 times while the bubble remains on the screen.

Other problem: Earlier if I select a PQ on the map and then I click on "Search" I see caches AND PQ same time on the map. (The caches which belong to PQ appear twice on the map). Now if I click on Search, PQ disappears.

I am: WEB15

Windows 7, FireFox 21

Edited by R.Guszty

I still can't get my laptop to work with the map. It is on web 17 using windows 8 with IE 9. MY pc is working fine. The problem with the lap top is that while hovering over the cache icon the cache name will appear but when I click on it the cache information window does not pop up. The Pc is on web 19 running windows 7 and IE 9.

I also have problems with the map - for about a week I had no icons at all :( Today the icons were visible on the map but when I zoomed in they disappered - and still not back :( Logging out/in did not solve the problem. This is a problem in Firefox (latest version) as well as in IE 10 in Windows 7. I further tried cleaning up for cookies etc. but nothing has helped.

I am: Web19.

Edited by Cooper&Wolowitz

I also have problems with the map - for about a week I had no icons at all :( Today the icons were visible on the map but when I zoomed in they disappered - and still not back :( Logging out/in did not solve the problem. This is a problem in Firefox (latest version) as well as in IE 10 in Windows 7. I further tried cleaning up for cookies etc. but nothing has helped.

I am: Web19.

Try turning off your routers firewall

Another, really not important bug concerning map icons:

When zooming out, the map switches the set of icons and uses smaller ones. And when switching to the smaller icons, earth caches become mysterys.

Look for the cache GC29NQ5 Der Vögelesfelsen am Hochfirst:

At zoom 16,

zoom 14

and now at zoom 13.

The technical details: I'm on server WEB06 and I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit, Internet Explorer 9.0.16

When zooming out, the map switches the set of icons and uses smaller ones. And when switching to the smaller icons, earth caches become mysterys.

If this is really what you're seeing, then there is a bug. It should actually turn into the Virtual-style ghost icon when you zoom out, not the Mystery blue question mark.

As for changing to a different icon, that's by design. If you look in the side-bar where you can filter out cache types, you'll see that the cache types are grouped into 5 categories. When you zoom out to the point that the icons change to the smaller ones, they will change to the icon representing their category. Therefore, Virtuals, Webcams, and Earthcaches will all change to the white ghost icon. In the same way, any event type will show as a red speech balloon, and both Mysteries/Puzzles and Wherigos will show as the blue question mark.