Unable hide a cache :-(

TheMiddletons13

I am so confuzzled :(

I use the geocaching app and GPS on my android phone to find caches.... but cannot seem to hide them myself. Is this feature not included or am I missing something?

I've tried multiple times, at our chosen location to record the details of our cache by logging in via the 'internet' on my phone but I just isn't happening and takes me back to the log in page.

Am I doing something wrong?

Groundspeak don't like cachers using phones to get coordinates for hiding caches...

So ability is not built into the app.

With care it's possible to use a phone and get coordinates, make sure you take your time, and double check the results before getting the cache page published.

You may have to download another app to get the coordinates.

As you are in the UK it's well worth reading this website http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/ especially the section on Hiding a cache.

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/gps.html#iphone

The site is written by one of the UK reviewers.

Good Luck with your hide!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hi, welcome to geocaching. There is a lot involved in hiding a cache (one of the reasons why with over 500 hides we haven't hidden one ourselves) I have an android too (which I don't use for geocaching) and I find it nearly impossible to do too much on it other than read the odd internet page. Have you tried logging in and submitting your cache on your home computer? Would also suggest you search the forums for "hiding caches" as lots of advice is given, like reading and re-reading and triple reading the guidelines for hiding caches and also using waypoint averages to get the best co-ordinates you can. Good Luck!

hi welcome to caching!

dont be put off hiding a cache! I use cachesense app on an android phone to get the coords (double check by walking away and reapproaching GZ a few times) then check on the cache page where it shows on the map. i do use a laptop to do all the cache submission work and have 11 very successful hides. good luck

I am so confuzzled :(

I use the geocaching app and GPS on my android phone to find caches.... but cannot seem to hide them myself. Is this feature not included or am I missing something?

I've tried multiple times, at our chosen location to record the details of our cache by logging in via the 'internet' on my phone but I just isn't happening and takes me back to the log in page.

Am I doing something wrong?

Building a geocache information page and submitting and doing it well takes time and effort. If you use the right app, you can use your app to obtain the coordinates for your cache using your phone, but you still need a computer to build the page. It's simply not something people do in the field and therefore not included in the app.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Geocaching. I use iPhone 4S to cache (remarkably dead on) and use it to get the coords for hiding our caches as well. On the main page of the App where you select the "Find Nearby Geocaches" (in blue) it gives you the current location coords. Go to your GZ and let the phone/GPS settle for a few seconds. Take a screenshot of the page so you don't have to worry about writing down the coords. Then select any nearby cache and choose maps and put in the new coords into the "Add waypoint' option then select it as a target. Then follow and if it takes you right to GZ then your coords are spot on. I have done this couple times with great success. So it can be done with a phone. You still need to go home and log all the info to hiding on a computer..the app won't allow you to publish caches.

Don't rush into hiding caches. This was the best advice I was given when I started geocaching. I did not appreciate it then, I do now.

As well as the location, consider very carefully the container and maintenance. Film pots and bison tubes will get wet. A few pounds extra on a genuine Lock'n'lock will save 10x its cost in fuel. A nice but quiet footpath in the country will provide less hassle than a nano in a city.

Sorry back on topic. I recommend GPS Averaging take at least 50 measurements. And you should have a great set of co-ords. I now use this on my Nexus 7 in preference to our Etrex30, but that’s another story.