Ideas for attachments to travel bug dog tags ?

Lensterhawks838

We attached a photo keyring with a photo of my son and his friend in front of the 02 in London along with a key ring from Platform 9 3/4 in Kings Cross (Harry Potter). The goal was to have the trackable travel far and wide having it's photo taken in front of as many famous landmarks as possible with the extra option of adding a keyring from a famous landmark as well

Not very interesting I'm sure. We released the bug into the big wide world yesterday and lunchtime and the next person to log a find at the cache commented that the trackable wasn't there so it looks like its been stolen before its even traveled anywhere :sad:

Edited by hope2pigs

I'd like to send out a TB with the mission to visit the 7 Wonders of the World....natural or man made...but from what I've read it's hard to get people to actually take pictures, and the whole point would be to see my TB on the Great Wall of China, or at the Grand Canyon...

I've been thinking of maybe buying a set of animal toys, you know, lions and tigers and bears (oh my), and send each out with the mission to be photographed as much as possible with the real live thing, at zoos, animal sanctuaries, or in the wild! It'd be fun to see a little giraffe toy in the forefront of a picture with a real giraffe behind!

Something else I was thinking of doing, which I'll admit was inspired by a movie I can't remember, is to send out a good deed coin. In the movie I saw, ages ago, this man had a coin and he did a random good deed for someone, and gave them that coin, and asked that they in turn do a good deed for someone else, and pass the coin along. Looking into it, I found that there's actually a site that does this, has trackable coins for you to give out and then track them and see where they are (http://www.hopecoins.com/). But I still want to play around with the idea of a coin to be tracked and passed along through geocaching...

Hi can anyone think of some ideas for attachments for travel bugs dog tags and if so maybe a goal for that TB

Attachments? Two things. Cast metal: hooks, hitches, flanges - and preschool toys. I am completely serious.

Goals? Forget directional and location oriented, go with something that lets someone share the experience. Choose ballparks over trying to get to Wrigley Field.

Two concepts: One I have tried and the other I am working on...

Tried: Sent out trackables dedicated to my father with a few small laminated pictures of him on it with the goal to have my dad travel to as many places as possible and take pictures. Not many people take pictures but on of them has traveled over 20,000 miles. I released 5 in a series in all of the places that his ashes were spread and on the days when his ashes were spread. On the trackable website page I included, "for those who know may know this man, please email me and let's talk story" It may not go anywhere regarding anyone actually knowing him, but its fun to watch. dedications to loved ones who have passed are nice or you might try a geneology one to see if people know info on your family geneology if you are into that.

Working on: Cat tag. putting a plastic cat toy on a trackable for it to visit as many cats as possible and take pictures with the cat. This can be done with any pet or any animal for that matter.

Main thing is to creatively think of a goal...somewhere between too general (to travel) and too specific (to get to the Empire State Building). Its more to pick up travel bugs and help them along their goals.

Another idea is to get a theme together: travel bug is a rabbit...have it travel around and ask people to post easter or spring traditions or go to caches around botanical gardens, etc.

Or yet another: have a theme on a sport, event, pasttime: have the bug travel to football stadiums or theatres or follow something like the Oregon trail or the some other historical person who has been to a lot of places and post what that person was doing there. Put laminated pictures or little plastic or durable trinkets that signify the theme. It gets people interested and maybe they learn something, just like some of the geocaches you go to. That is a part of the point is to explore and learn.

Main thing I noticed is that if you have a goal, try to somehow also post it either on the bug itself or on an attached tag so that people who pick it up will know before it goes with them if they can help move it in the right direction.

Tried: Sent out trackables dedicated to my father with a few small laminated pictures of him on it with the goal to have my dad travel to as many places as possible and take pictures. Not many people take pictures but on of them has traveled over 20,000 miles. I released 5 in a series in all of the places that his ashes were spread and on the days when his ashes were spread. On the trackable website page I included, "for those who know may know this man, please email me and let's talk story" It may not go anywhere regarding anyone actually knowing him, but its fun to watch. dedications to loved ones who have passed are nice or you might try a geneology one to see if people know info on your family geneology if you are into that.

Working on: Cat tag. putting a plastic cat toy on a trackable for it to visit as many cats as possible and take pictures with the cat. This can be done with any pet or any animal for that matter.

Main thing is to creatively think of a goal...somewhere between too general (to travel) and too specific (to get to the Empire State Building). Its more to pick up travel bugs and help them along their goals.

Another idea is to get a theme together: travel bug is a rabbit...have it travel around and ask people to post easter or spring traditions or go to caches around botanical gardens, etc.

Or yet another: have a theme on a sport, event, pasttime: have the bug travel to football stadiums or theatres or follow something like the Oregon trail or the some other historical person who has been to a lot of places and post what that person was doing there. Put laminated pictures or little plastic or durable trinkets that signify the theme. It gets people interested and maybe they learn something, just like some of the geocaches you go to. That is a part of the point is to explore and learn.

Main thing I noticed is that if you have a goal, try to somehow also post it either on the bug itself or on an attached tag so that people who pick it up will know before it goes with them if they can help move it in the right direction.

Yes to that!!! We picked up a TB this morning, droppped it at a very nice site about 10 miles west of where we'd found it. Got home and found the goal is to head to the east coast (we're in California). Granted, 10 miles one way or the other wouldn't have made much difference, but had we known the goal, we'd have hung on to the TB for a week or two and give it a boost in the correct direction.

Yes to that!!! We picked up a TB this morning, droppped it at a very nice site about 10 miles west of where we'd found it. Got home and found the goal is to head to the east coast (we're in California). Granted, 10 miles one way or the other wouldn't have made much difference, but had we known the goal, we'd have hung on to the TB for a week or two and give it a boost in the correct direction.

+1 to that

We have a small laminated card attached to our surfboard key ring which explains that it wants to visit the beach.

On more than one occasion we have picked up a tb with no idea of it's goal only to realise when we're home that we've moved it in the wrong direction!

Edited by whh0