Geocaching at the Hydro Dams wins National Award

The Navigatorz

Last year, three utilities that operate dams on the Columbia River in central WA, create a geocache challenge. The goal of the challenge is to find three caches at Rocky Reach dam, Chief Joseph dam, and Grand Coulee dam. Prizes were given at each location for finding the caches, and a final prize (a D3 Geocache Challenge patch) was given after finding all caches at each of the three dams. The idea was to bring visitors to the hydroelectric sites for some family fun, but also as an educational experience. The idea won an Outstanding Stewards of America’s Waters Award (OSAW) for Public Education.

Click here Article to read the news article and to find out how to participate. This year, Rocky Reach is giving geocoins to geocachers who find the three caches hidden last year, and a bonus cache being hidden this year.

There is a geocaching (potluck) event at Rocky Reach dam on Sunday, May 26. Rocky Reach Meet & Greet Potluck event Please come to hear about the geocache challenge at the dams (more dams on the Columbia are participating this year).

Rocky Reach Dam Event Page May 26

Rocky Reach dam received a National Award for the D3 Geocache Challenge.

(National Hydro Association with an Outstanding Stewards of Americas Waters Award (OSAW) for Public Education).

The award will be discussed at the May 26 potluck, and finders of the caches there will receive a Rocky Reach Dam Geocoin (see the Event Page).

Edited by Rocky Reach Dam

Rocky Reach Dam Event Page May 26

Rocky Reach dam received a National Award for the D3 Geocache Challenge.

(National Hydro Association with an Outstanding Stewards of America’s Waters Award (OSAW) for Public Education).

The award will be discussed at the May 26 potluck, and finders of the caches there will receive a Rocky Reach Dam Geocoin (see the Event Page).

Are the coins only available at the event, or will they be available during the year?

Are the coins only available at the event, or will they be available during the year?

ooooohhhh great question - I have the other two dams completed and this one was on my list (if only I could find my passport).....

Edited by vds

The idea of the geocoin giveaway is to draw attendees to the potluck event on May 26. There is a possibility that geocoins will be given to those who find the caches after the event, but there is a limited supply.

Thanks, the potluck was not convenient. Guess I'll have to pass on the coins.