how small is small? how big is micro?

i'm relatively new here, w/only 150 finds, but i'm having a great time in the woods. some "small" caches i find seem to lean more toward "micro", while some "small"s look like they should have been labeled "regular". i'd like to start hiding some caches of my own, but are there some guidelines that i just don't know about?

i'm relatively new here, w/only 150 finds, but i'm having a great time in the woods. some "small" caches i find seem to lean more toward "micro", while some "small"s look like they should have been labeled "regular". i'd like to start hiding some caches of my own, but are there some guidelines that i just don't know about?

From Geocaching 101 http://www.geocaching.com/guide/

micro.gif Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

small.gif Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar.

regular.gif Regular - 1L or larger, but less than 20L. Examples: a plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox.

large.gif Large - 20L or larger. Example: A large bucket.

other.gif Other - See the cache description for information.

Small, Regular and Large containers typically contain trade items.

From the Help Center

Sizes

1. micro: e.g. 35mm film canister or smaller
  2. small: Holds only a small logbook and small items.
  3. regular: e.g. ammo box
  4. large: e.g. 5-gallon bucket (about 20 liters)
  5. other: See the cache description.

Hope this helps.

There are photos of various containers at that link, one of which is the "nano magnetic". Very helpful for the first-time hunter of those teeny things.

Some times cache owners overrate the size of their containers. Some times the container gets replaced, and the owner doesn't adjust the cache size on the page.

I've seen some rather large "smalls", and some rather tiny "regulars".

In this day and age, I think an ammo can should be listed as "large". :D

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

From Geocaching 101 http://www.geocaching.com/guide/

micro.gif Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

small.gif Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar.

regular.gif Regular - 1L or larger, but less than 20L. Examples: a plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox.

large.gif Large - 20L or larger. Example: A large bucket.

other.gif Other - See the cache description for information.

It should be noted preforms are only 50mL so they should be considered Micros, but I have seen them frequently listed as Small.

I have also seen matchstick containers and magnetic key holders occasionally listed as Small and those are barely bigger than a 35mm film can.

The widespread use of bison tubes several years ago seemed to warp some folks perspective of what a Micro is. In some areas, I've heard it even lead to film cans being consider Small!

Edited by Joshism
The widespread use of bison tubes several years ago seemed to warp some folks perspective of what a Micro is. In some areas, I've heard it even lead to film cans being consider Small!
Yeah, I once found a 35mm film canister listed as small. I referred the CO to the size guidelines on the geocaching.com site, and the cache was listed as a micro shortly thereafter.

My favorite is a set of 40 caches in coastal NC called the "The Anti-Micro #x", with a polite rant against micros in the description. They are all labeled Small, and are all small Altoid tins.

I found an cache in coastal NC that was an altoids tin and it was a rusty mess. It's too bad, as it was in a pretty cool location, a place that I had stopped at before I started geocaching.

Who has 40 altoids tins laying around? Sounds like a sever case of halitosis and the should consult a physician.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

My favorite is a set of 40 caches in coastal NC called the "The Anti-Micro #x", with a polite rant against micros in the description. They are all labeled Small, and are all small Altoid tins.

Who has 40 altoids tins laying around? Sounds like a sever case of halitosis and the should consult a physician.

eBay does. Search for "empty altoids" and you will often find massive lots.

It should be noted preforms are only 50mL so they should be considered Micros, but I have seen them frequently listed as Small.

Not all preforms are 50mL. They come in a variety of sizes. Larger ones are used for making milk jugs and other larger bottles. These larger preforms are often more than 100mL qualifying them as "small". I've hidden a couple of them myself.

Edited by medoug