GPS repair

di75duo

I help in deciding what the best thing to do about my gps. I have a Garmin GOSmap 62s and have had not quite 2years. Recently when I updated my caches from gsak and the unit was coming back on, it would freeze at the half way point and then fade out. Nothing I did helped. I even went online and updated firmware a d then it would load about 3/4 of the way and freezer. Then it stopped being by the computer. I tried more than one computer to make sure it wasn't the computer. It started freezing up almost the minute it came on. Garmin says it will cost $110 to fix with only 90 day warranty. Should I do it or no?

I help in deciding what the best thing to do about my gps. I have a Garmin GOSmap 62s and have had not quite 2years. Recently when I updated my caches from gsak and the unit was coming back on, it would freeze at the half way point and then fade out. Nothing I did helped. I even went online and updated firmware a d then it would load about 3/4 of the way and freezer. Then it stopped being by the computer. I tried more than one computer to make sure it wasn't the computer. It started freezing up almost the minute it came on. Garmin says it will cost $110 to fix with only 90 day warranty. Should I do it or no?

Do you like the unit? What would it cost (or a similar replacement) cost? If you like the unit, $110 not a bad price. I had an issue with my 60CSX (the mounting knob got pulled out, ruining the housing). It cost me the ~$100, but I felt it was worth it, since I love the receiver.

Thing to note with Garmin repair - you will not be getting your exact unit back, but rather a refurbed replacement. So make sure you remove SD cards, straps, etc from the unit before you send it it.

Thing to note with Garmin repair - you will not be getting your exact unit back, but rather a refurbed replacement. So make sure you remove SD cards, straps, etc from the unit before you send it it.

Agreed. So far held true on two.

Had a Legend that kept getting that fade with a line through it.

Got a refurb back. It's a spare in the truck now.

Our spare 60csx had issues with the antenna. Sent it out and got a refurb back, minus all the topo maps on the sd card. That spare stays in CJ's car.

While I believe cost alone would be worth it, I'd remove everything I'd like to keep before sending it out.

Well at first thought it wasn't worth it but paid around 300 or so for it. It's an ok unit probably good compared to most. I can't get another gps for $110 and the cost is ok if the refurbished one hold up at least a year. I just worry that I will pay it then the replacement won't last much past 90 days. I guess it is just a gamble. My last Garmin nuvi didn't hold up long either had it less than 2 years before replacing. So sad that Garmin products seem to be getting less reliable all the time. Thanks for all your input.

Had an issue with a 60csx just days before the warranty ran out. Garmin fixed it free but it was a refurbished unit, which is still working fine, I guess. It is my backup to a backup, since I am now paperless (Oregon 450 and 550) which I really enjoy. Nothing wrong with the 60csx though, workhorse that it is/was. Still know people who use it and even carry printouts.

There was a small nuisance in getting topos re-registered to the new unit. They are kind of stingy on the licensing for them, hence I use free topos now.

If you dig around on the forums and on google, you will find lots of info on "garmin 60csx hard reset" which you can try as a last ditch effort before sending it to the factory. A hard reset has saved the day (along with a firmware update) more than once.

Cache happy.

Well at first thought it wasn't worth it but paid around 300 or so for it. It's an ok unit probably good compared to most. I can't get another gps for $110 and the cost is ok if the refurbished one hold up at least a year. I just worry that I will pay it then the replacement won't last much past 90 days. I guess it is just a gamble. My last Garmin nuvi didn't hold up long either had it less than 2 years before replacing. So sad that Garmin products seem to be getting less reliable all the time. Thanks for all your input.

They bring their refurbs back up to factory fresh condition, so it should last quite some time. I know of a couple of other folks who had to get a repair, and theirs are doing fine.

I hope they tell you upfront they are not returning your origional unit. I have NW trails map loaded, Topo maps loaded, and a good screen protector. I don't want another persons GPS I want mine fixed and returned to me.

My Garmen 60CSx is having a problem with the power button. I sometimes have to press it with a pen to get it to turn on and off. I hate to think I can't get it fixed and returned. :blink:

I don't want another persons GPS I want mine fixed and returned to me.

From my experience when I called Garmin and had a Venture HC repaired, Garmin told me up front that it is very unlikely that I would get my original unit back (and all it needed was the rubber band around the case replaced). I told them that I was willing to wait for mine to be repaired, but even with the note added to the request, I received a different unit. It is a backup for my 450, but to date has been working fine in the few times I have used it. It was just like a new unit.

I hope they tell you upfront they are not returning your origional unit. I have NW trails map loaded, Topo maps loaded, and a good screen protector. I don't want another persons GPS I want mine fixed and returned to me.

My Garmen 60CSx is having a problem with the power button. I sometimes have to press it with a pen to get it to turn on and off. I hate to think I can't get it fixed and returned. :blink:

Our power button tore open and there is a little stick there. One day the stick fell out and got lost. I debated sending it in multiple times.

We bought a 450T instead when they were on sale. We like the new unit much better. The old one still sits collecting dust.

Well one good thing, I haven't added anything to mine so I won't lose anything.

If you dig around on the forums and on google, you will find lots of info on "garmin 60csx hard reset" which you can try as a last ditch effort before sending it to the factory. A hard reset has saved the day (along with a firmware update) more than once.

I'm bumping this to the top in case you didn't see it.

HARD RESET

I have had to do this a few times on my 62s. Any of my friends who have a 62s have done it numerous resets as well.

Edited by FunnyNose

HARD RESET

I have had to do this a few times on my 62s. Any of my friends who have a 62s have done it numerous resets as well.

I've had to do the same with the 60.

HARD RESET

I've had to do the same with the 60.

I would be willing to bet that Garmin will help you do a hard reset - sometimes they can be helpful with you! Good luck!

HARD RESET

Thank you so much for this info. My pc wouldn't even recognize my unit anymore and would shut off almost as soon as it came on. I was ready to send it back for a refurbish one when I read this. I tried it and now it is working fine. It's amazing how it stopped working and even the firmware update didn't help but the hard reset did. Saved $110 dollars.

Edited by di75duo