Megellan eXplorist GC - Can't See Device

I just purchased the Magellan eXplorist GC and I followed all the instructions to the letter. I have the USB cable in, I downloaded the plug-in I needed from this site and when I try and send a cache to my GPS unit, it says, "cannot locate device". I've uninstalled, reinstalled, powered off, powered on, unplugged, replugged, etc. and it still can't see my device. It's useless if I cannot send cache to it! Help! :anibad:

I just purchased the Magellan eXplorist GC and I followed all the instructions to the letter. I have the USB cable in, I downloaded the plug-in I needed from this site and when I try and send a cache to my GPS unit, it says, "cannot locate device". I've uninstalled, reinstalled, powered off, powered on, unplugged, replugged, etc. and it still can't see my device. It's useless if I cannot send cache to it! Help! :anibad:

Can you access the device as a USB Drive on your computer?

David

Magellan Insider/Beta Tester

David

Yes, if I open up start>computer I can see it listed as a drive. I noticed it comes with like 1000+ cache on it that I don't want. I guess my next question would be, how does one delete them? If I ever figure out how to put new ones on!

David

Yes, if I open up start>computer I can see it listed as a drive. I noticed it comes with like 1000+ cache on it that I don't want. I guess my next question would be, how does one delete them? If I ever figure out how to put new ones on!

Try this, because it actually works better than using the Navigator within GC.com. Connect to your GC and go into the Geocaches directory. Once you are in the directory, delete all of the .gpx files in that directory and then disconnect your GC and let it restart. This will delete all of the caches on the GPS. Then create a pocket query and download it to your computer. If the PQ downloaded as a ZIP file, make sure to extract it. Connect your GPS to your computer and then copy the .gpx file, but not the *wpts.gpx, to the Geocache directory on the GC. After the file is in the Geocaches directory, disconnect the GPS from your computer and allow it to boot. At that time you should have all of the files from the PQ loaded in your GC.

I know that the Magellan Navigator is an easy to use, when it works; however, there are several problems with using it. When you load caches using the navigator it loads every cache as a separate GPX. Because of this the Win CE operating system in the GPS has to deal with a greater number of file handles, which slows the GPS down. However, using the PQ GPX file you are able to load thousands of caches and the Win CE operating system only has to deal with one file.

Also, since the Navigator is web based there are a number of things that can keep it from running. To figure out what is causing your problem with it we would have to begin by looking at which web browser you're running, which add-ons you have loaded and the list goes on an on...

Please give the PQ a try and let me know how it comes out.

David

I agree with what David suggests with a couple additional comments/suggestions.

1. Consider looking at a program called GSAK and using that (it's not beginner user friendly...take your time to learn it as it's about the most powerful program for what we do out there).

2. A simple answer to your original question....when you are selecting a cache....and then "send to gps" it should pop up a window with several tabs in it....Garmin, Delorme, Magellan etc are all on different tabs...need to make sure you have Magellan tab selected before you can "download" the cache to the GPS unit.

Maybe this helps I hope....