FIRST CACHE FIND!

Guest SKYCOP

Guest SKYCOP

TODAY AT 12:15PM MY 14 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AND I FOUND OUR 1ST CACHE ABOUT 45 MILE FROM HOME. I JUST GOT MY ETREX LEGEND YESTERDAY AND AM VERY IMPRESSED. IT TOOK US WITHIN 2-3 FT OF THE CACHE. IN FACT I WAS STANDING ON THE LOG WHERE IT WAS HIDDEN THE GPS WAS RIGHT ON. NOW WE CAN'T WAIT FOR OUR NEXT FIND AND ALSO TO HIDE ONE OF OUR OWN. THE LOOK ON HER FACE WAS WORTH A MILLION DOLLARS WHEN SHE PULLED OUT THE CONTAINER FROM THE OLD HOLLOWED OUT LOG. HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE.

Guest makaio

I take my 16 month old daughter with me occasionally (her first find was at 7 months), but it'll be awhile before I can enjoy that feeling you got seeing your child discover the treasure. I can't wait for her to be old enough to understand why Daddy wanders around in the forest icon_smile.gif

Guest makaio

I take my 16 month old daughter with me occasionally (her first find was at 7 months), but it'll be awhile before I can enjoy that feeling you got seeing your child discover the treasure. I can't wait for her to be old enough to understand why Daddy wanders around in the forest icon_smile.gif

Guest KevMac

>Here's the good part: When I found the cache, I reached in my pocket to see how close my reading was and... my GPS was gone! It had fallen out of my pocket while I was rooting around! Luckily, I found it right away. Good thing no one was looking icon_redface.gif Next time I'll use the tether!!

Guest KevMac

>Here's the good part: When I found the cache, I reached in my pocket to see how close my reading was and... my GPS was gone! It had fallen out of my pocket while I was rooting around! Luckily, I found it right away. Good thing no one was looking icon_redface.gif Next time I'll use the tether!!

Guest Lightning1996YCJP

I just have to chime in and say that I think this is the such a great hobby/adventure/sport...and so good for the whole family! I'm a single mom, and when I took my girls out for the first cache search, they loved it. They are used to driving around with mom...:rolleyes icon_frown.gifI enjoy getting out 4-wheeling into the countryside/forest/mountains,) and this is yet another simple, wholesome, healthy way to spend time with my daughters, now 10 and 13 1/2. Of course, there was the usual competition icon_biggrin.gif They are great at finding the caches, and love doing it and ~~taking turns~~ opening the "treasure". They love to go out "caching" now...and I've been able to start teaching them GPS and maps (had already started with some search and rescue related stuff, but finding "treasure" is SO much more fun!!) But beyond that, we are spending time together. That's where the real value of this activity (or any good activity) comes in. You can't spend enough time with your precious kids. icon_smile.gif...they grow up so fast. So....Go out caching, teach your kids, let them play, enjoy their laughs, spend the time, build the memories. For those of you without kids....take out your grandkids! Or enjoy the time with your partner or friends. Take the time to appreciate the loved ones in your life.

Geez...how did I get from First Cache to this????? tongue.gif Sorry....I just wax poetic from time to time~~

Guest Lightning1996YCJP

I just have to chime in and say that I think this is the such a great hobby/adventure/sport...and so good for the whole family! I'm a single mom, and when I took my girls out for the first cache search, they loved it. They are used to driving around with mom...:rolleyes icon_frown.gifI enjoy getting out 4-wheeling into the countryside/forest/mountains,) and this is yet another simple, wholesome, healthy way to spend time with my daughters, now 10 and 13 1/2. Of course, there was the usual competition icon_biggrin.gif They are great at finding the caches, and love doing it and ~~taking turns~~ opening the "treasure". They love to go out "caching" now...and I've been able to start teaching them GPS and maps (had already started with some search and rescue related stuff, but finding "treasure" is SO much more fun!!) But beyond that, we are spending time together. That's where the real value of this activity (or any good activity) comes in. You can't spend enough time with your precious kids. icon_smile.gif...they grow up so fast. So....Go out caching, teach your kids, let them play, enjoy their laughs, spend the time, build the memories. For those of you without kids....take out your grandkids! Or enjoy the time with your partner or friends. Take the time to appreciate the loved ones in your life.

Geez...how did I get from First Cache to this????? tongue.gif Sorry....I just wax poetic from time to time~~

Guest Sluggo

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning1996YCJP:

Take the time to appreciate the loved ones in your life.

Geez...how did I get from First Cache to this????? icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Sluggo

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning1996YCJP:

Take the time to appreciate the loved ones in your life.

Geez...how did I get from First Cache to this????? icon_biggrin.gif

Guest scooterj

Not only is it fun for the family, it's great exercise! Before I found geocaching I'd spend maybe 2-3 hours a week on average in outdoor activities. Now it's 2-3 hours per day. The hunt actually gives me an immediate and attainable goal that keeps me focused and going, and I'm finally getting the exercise I have been needing for years. It feels great! (Maybe someday I'll be the geocaching equivalent of Jared the Subway Sandwich guy. icon_wink.gif)

Guest scooterj

Not only is it fun for the family, it's great exercise! Before I found geocaching I'd spend maybe 2-3 hours a week on average in outdoor activities. Now it's 2-3 hours per day. The hunt actually gives me an immediate and attainable goal that keeps me focused and going, and I'm finally getting the exercise I have been needing for years. It feels great! (Maybe someday I'll be the geocaching equivalent of Jared the Subway Sandwich guy. icon_wink.gif)