Any Information

Does anyone know anything about this website or the owner is he still in business publishing this magazine. i ran across this website in Jan. and signed up and paid for a subscription but have not heard or seen anything since, just wondering if its a defunct business or how often he publishes this magazine. I would have thought i would have got a copy already? I sent an e-mail to him a few weeks back but never got a response, even checked spam folder.

http://geocachermagazine.webs.com/

Sorry but you got scammed, and you are not alone I got scammed by this "magazine" as well as many other people. They only ever came out with one issue yet they are still taking orders. They never answer any e-mail and if you write any negative comments on the Facebook page they will delete them and block you from writing anything else. :(

If you are still interested in a good magazine you should look into FTF Geocacher Magazine, they publish every other month and have great customer service (if you do subscribe there feel free to tell them I recommended you). :)

Does anyone know anything about this website or the owner is he still in business publishing this magazine. i ran across this website in Jan. and signed up and paid for a subscription but have not heard or seen anything since, just wondering if its a defunct business or how often he publishes this magazine. I would have thought i would have got a copy already? I sent an e-mail to him a few weeks back but never got a response, even checked spam folder.

according to this website: http://www.notaboutthenumbers.com/2011/03/31/geocacher-magazine-a-cautionary-tale/

they are borderline for fraud!

Unfortunately, you've been scammed big time. I actually got that website taken down for a few weeks in 2011 or 2012 by complaining to webs.com, the host. However, they only took it down for "inactivity" (he hadn't logged in in several months), and when he was informed and got around to logging back in, they put it back up. When I told them he had scammed thousands of people from around the world, they responded there was nothing they could do about it.

After several delays, the guy (Michael Jacobus) published ONE ISSUE of the magazine way back in 2008!! The fact that he still has a website, and regularly takes money from people is nothing short of amazing.

He has a Facebook page which has an incredible 3,304 likes. I'm going to guess 3,303 of them have no clue it's a scam. See how easy it is to scam people? Put up a website and a Facebook page, and people will send you money, and be your friend! :(

Good reading in a blog post at the notaboutthenumbers blog, a post which is now over 2 years old. (also linked to in the post above mine).

EDIT: I'm sure he hasn't logged into webs.com in ages, so if someone else wants to complain to them, I'm sure they'd take it down again, at least for a while. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Does anyone know if this person is located in the US? If so do you know what state the business is registered? The BBB is just a rating system for businesses and most con men don't care about a bad rating. However, the state attorney of any state will take complaints and if they prove true, criminal charges can be filed. Just a thought.

Does anyone know if this person is located in the US? If so do you know what state the business is registered? The BBB is just a rating system for businesses and most con men don't care about a bad rating. However, the state attorney of any state will take complaints and if they prove true, criminal charges can be filed. Just a thought.

I believe he has lived in both Nevada and California since the inception of his scam, which was way, way back in 2007. Someone around here has that information, I'm sure. :)

Thank you Everyone for the information it is greatly appreciated, and yes i did subscribe to the FTF magazine and actually got my first copy today in the mail about 30 minutes ago.

Chris2537

Just wanted to chime in to say thanks to all who continue to support FTF Geocacher Magazine. It is extremely frustrating to see "Geocacher Magazine" is still taking people's hard earned money. I have extended Chris2537's subscription by an additional 3 issues for his troubles.

Thank you "ckpetrus" for doing that for me, it is greatly appreciated and very kind of you. I'll try and pass the word on to my friends about your great magazine and get you some more business. Like I've always said "pay it forward", and that's why I've given two premium member subscriptions to new geocachers so that they could enjoy the hobby like i have since 2006.

Is there a geocaching magazine that isn't a scam? I thought my BIL got one. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

FTF Geocacher

I'll second MrsB's recommendation. I've been an FTF Geocacher subscriber for a long time myself. A class act all around.

Except for the name, you mean.

I am genuinely surprised they are still around. I figured with that name (and the implied attitude to go with it) they wouldn't last very long.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, as that kind of geocaching seems to be more and more prevalent.

Edited by fizzymagic

Is there a geocaching magazine that isn't a scam? I thought my BIL got one. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

FTF Geocacher

I'll second MrsB's recommendation. I've been an FTF Geocacher subscriber for a long time myself. A class act all around.

I am genuinely surprised they are still around. I figured with that name (and the implied attitude to go with it) they wouldn't last very long.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, as that kind of geocaching seems to be more and more prevalent.

To their credit, the magazine itself, to my knowledge, has never emphasized that aspect of geocaching. My impression is they just needed a unique name for the new magazine, and this one stuck.

--Larry

FTF Geocacher

I am genuinely surprised they are still around.

HAHAHA! You're kidding right? I can't tell when you're kidding...

Anyway, I've been a subscriber from the beginning, and IMHO the mag just keeps getting better.

Also I'm pretty sure I saw the publishers name on a cache I found recently, so he knows caching...

FTF Geocacher

To their credit, the magazine itself, to my knowledge, has never emphasized that aspect of geocaching. My impression is they just needed a unique name for the new magazine, and this one stuck.

--Larry

I thought the name choice was a poor one, but I've subscribed since day one and thoroughly enjoy the magazine. In spite of the name, it does not emphasize the FTF aspect (or other competitive aspects) of geocaching. My one quarrel with it is when they publish photos of "cool caches" that are obvious guideline violations. It only encourages more of the same.

FTF Geocacher

MrsB

I like the FTF mag. I've met the publishers and have several issues, but for some reason I have never fired the bullet on a subscription. I don't even know why. It could be the poor choice of name. I'm not really sure.

As for the OP, It may be time to go further to get this crook's website taken down. But who really has the time to do it? Simple bean counting is what keeps this guy's con alive, but it chaps me to see he keeps getting away with it.

Here is some light reading for the OP. (I just wish my powers extended to lottery numbers...)

I love the guy. He is the reason I am now an authentic Geocaching Prophet.

The product he demoed sucked so hard it could have drawn a tennis ball through 50 feet of garden hose. I said so, but very tactfully and now I'm a prophet.

I visited his tent at GW6. The dude was absent. Did he ever show up? I got my $5 copy for the history of it. I never bothered reading it. Was it any better than the crappy online sample?

Did I just read that he is STILL taking money? :unsure: If this is true, yup conman is a good lable. Why call for restraint when he has burned quite a few fellow cachers and reportedly still takes money for a crappy defunct magazine?

FTF Geocacher

Another one that likes FTF Geocacher magazine quite a lot. Not sure why you pick a thread that isn't even about it to malign it because of it's name.