some local entertainment

Sheesh...

Found cache almost half mile away - no thanks to the CO... :laughing:

My favorite is the second ones CO stating, " Owner Maintenance 04/24/2013

sorry I don't have a gps so please don't go to this cache."

- Surprised that nobody placed a NA on either yet

The second says they don't have a GPS to fix it.

Sheesh...

Found cache almost half mile away - no thanks to the CO... :laughing:

My favorite is the second ones CO stating, " Owner Maintenance 04/24/2013

sorry I don't have a gps so please don't go to this cache."

- Surprised that nobody placed a NA on either yet

The second says they don't have a GPS to fix it.

Give it until tomorrow AM and I'll bet it will get archived-or at least disabled.

well, interesting. Given the finder of this cache is a forum regular, will be interesting to see if he posts here or not. That mean he logged both caches with the same singular cache find or did he find 2 different caches? Not sure by the logs.

Have not had that situation come up before. Have found unpublished caches before while caching.

The most odd thing I have seen was that a friend of mine found a cache that was published 4 years prior but got archived before found. The coordinates were miles off, it was even him who did the archive request. So, he logged that FTF, 4 years after publication.

Not like this one though. Thanks for sharing.

Surprised that nobody placed a NA on either yet

I've been attempting to work with both COs to get things straightened out in the hopes that we can avoid getting to the NA stage. I got a response back from the mother of one of the COs saying that she'd talk with him. If the CO of "super fun happy time" is intending to give up and archive their cache (possible, based on their latest notes), it will make fixing "Big one" quite a bit easier, because it will simply involve a reviewer-coordinate-update. After two failed attempts to find that cache, I'd really like to see where it actually is.

Edit to add: I'd like to add that I still think this situation is salvageable and I'm working toward that end. I ask that nobody log any "Needs archive"s at this time. If the situation becomes unsalvageable, I'll bring in a reviewer to deal with it.

Edited by The A-Team

Looks like OffGrid FTFd the ammocan this morning. I was starting to wonder if it actually existed. Looking forward to seeing what the actual coordinates are for both!

And OffGrid also posted two found it logs on the same cache listing

If you look carefully, you'll see why. The Found it logs were for 2 different boxes.

One GC code. One find. Do people in your area normally post multiple found it logs every time a CO changes a container?

Do people in your area normally post multiple found it logs every time a CO changes a container?

Nope, but that isn't what's happening here. This is just a confusing situation involving two caches with incorrect coordinates. I know ljg-47, and she probably just forgot to delete her find on "Big one", so I'll remind her. Off Grid has their own unique way of doing things, as you've seen in the past in these forums.

One GC code. One find. Do people in your area normally post multiple found it logs every time a CO changes a container?

The CO did not change the container, there were 2 caches hidden close together. One of the caches was found while people were searching for the other one, due to inaccurate coordinates. Like I said, you'll need to read the cache pages carefully to understand why. I'm sure once things are sorted out, they'll move their found log over to the appropriate cache page.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

One of the caches is 500+ meters off, the other one 12+ kilometers off. :laughing:

I think that breaks some sort of record? :blink:

I don't think so. There have been discussions in here before about new caches with wrong coordinates, and I seem to remember some that were much farther. Like on the order of 50+ miles.

FYI, someone else is working with both owners, and a reviewer has now been asked to update the coordinates for one of them. The other one should hopefully be fixed soon.

One of the caches is 500+ meters off, the other one 12+ kilometers off. :laughing:

I don't think so. There have been discussions in here before about new caches with wrong coordinates, and I seem to remember some that were much farther. Like on the order of 50+ miles.

FYI, someone else is working with both owners, and a reviewer has now been asked to update the coordinates for one of them. The other one should hopefully be fixed soon.

First off...

Thanks for all those working to constructively correct these caches and nudge the CO's gently onto the proper pathway to Geocaching. That makes for a better game all around for everyone.

As for errors induced for various reasons other than malice... I've only had contact with two that were further and both the results of typos by the COs in question. One was a puzzle where the owner asked for a checkout of his handiwork when people weren't solving the puzzle or finding the cache... No problem solving it, but the coordinates he listed had a typo... good for about 220 km in the other direction. Also there was one that is located slightly NW of Edmonton that had coordinates that placed it in the Pacific Ocean, way off the coast of Mexico... Which was a bigger error I think, but just goes to show that ANY cache should be vetted by at least one person OTHER than the CO... from Traditional to Puzzle.

Thanks again to all.

Doug 7rxc

Also there was one that is located slightly NW of Edmonton that had coordinates that placed it in the Pacific Ocean, way off the coast of Mexico... Which was a bigger error I think, but just goes to show that ANY cache should be vetted by at least one person OTHER than the CO... from Traditional to Puzzle.

Usually all that's needed is for the CO to vet the coordinates (maybe another person to check a puzzle solution). In the case you cited above, the CO clearly didn't vet their own coordinates. A quick glance at the map on the submission page or one of the two maps on the listing page would have alerted them to their cache's position being in a massive body of water, which isn't likely to be correct for northern Alberta. Likewise for one of the two caches in discussion here, where it was listed 12 km north of its actual position with a body of water and a whole whack of hills in between.

yes, we had one in this area a long time ago that got fat fingered from W075 nn.nnn to 076 nn.nnn. It was corrected within a couple days.

yes, we had one in this area a long time ago that got fat fingered from W075 nn.nnn to 076 nn.nnn. It was corrected within a couple days.

I was FTF and last to find on one over a hundred miles off (fat fingers).

Showed as Philly, I'm in the Poconos. Knew where it was by the name.

Got archived when the reviewer found it was in NPS property.

Not sure what's going on here. :unsure:

1st cache: Big one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC49GC4

N 48° 21.442 W 123° 40.197

Published 04/10/2013

2nd cache: super fun happy time

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC4AEK1&Submit6=Go

N 48° 28.000 W 123° 40.303

Published 04/23/2013

He is an 11 year old kid that mixed the coordinates up the caches are still there and the coordinates are confirmed and made by me. The cache that was to close was moved to a proper distance all that is waiting is for a reviewer to change the coordinates that is it

One for him and one for her?

They seem to do that a lot (606 finds on 588 Distinct caches).

While finding that out I discovered a back door for those that have unchecked the box to "Display Statistics on my public profile page" on the Statistic Settings page.

Wow is all I have to say about that your proud you found a back door way to look at my 620 finds and no I don't do that a lot actual I'm the only one that posts the logs or there would be none. Just like an old geocacher who has more caches than god but does not register them I see why now this place is the worse for stats worse than hockey.

One for him and one for her?

They seem to do that a lot (606 finds on 588 Distinct caches).

While finding that out I discovered a back door for those that have unchecked the box to "Display Statistics on my public profile page" on the Statistic Settings page.

Wow is all I have to say about that your proud you found a back door way to look at my 620 finds and no I don't do that a lot actual I'm the only one that posts the logs or there would be none. Just like an old geocacher who has more caches than god but does not register them I see why now this place is the worse for stats worse than hockey.

I would comment here but I don't need a knuckle rapping from the business end of Keystone's ruler.

He is an 11 year old kid that mixed the coordinates up the caches are still there and the coordinates are confirmed and made by me. The cache that was to close was moved to a proper distance all that is waiting is for a reviewer to change the coordinates that is it

I hope the kids have read the guidelines and terms of use...in particular...

By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian. If we believe that you are under 18 years of age and not under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian, please be advised that your account may be terminated without warning.

If the parents/guardians are aware that their children are setting up accounts on geocaching.com, and posting geocaches, I hope they have read the TOU and guidelines so they can assist, guide and explain the responsibilities involved.

Edited by L0ne R

By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian. If we believe that you are under 18 years of age and not under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian, please be advised that your account may be terminated without warning.

If the parents/guardians are aware that their children are setting up accounts on geocaching.com, and posting geocaches, I hope they have read the TOU and guidelines so they can assist, guide and explain the responsibilities involved.

I think it's great for kids to be involved with hiding caches, but it's the parents job to be there standing over their shoulders, checking that they've done things right. It sounds like our locals have done a wonderful job of helping out (thank you OffGrid and A-Team for your efforts), but ultimately, it's the parents that should be taking responsibility for putting things right.