Geocaching... hazardous to your health?

Georat

A friend of mine was recently visited me from Southern California. During his visit, I decided to introduce him to the sport of Geocaching. The first cache I lined up was "Gold Mine", waypoint GC6C16. We parked the Wrangler in the vicinity of the cache and went on foot. As we climbed the hill toward the cache, maybe 50 yards ahead now, I said to my friend "My wife normally finds these things, I too busy looking at the GPS." Well that was all it took, his completive juices kicked in and off he went scrambling up the hill which was covered with plenty of loose rocks and boulders. The next moment, I see he had lost his balance, was dancing from rock to rock down the hill in an effort to regain it, only to end up falling between two big boulders. Well, 3 hours later and $300 poorer, he comes out of the local Urgent Care Unit with a broken wrist, a soft cast, a sling and x-rays. Geocaching...hazardous to your health?

quote:
Originally posted by Brown Dwarf:

Sounds like someone had a "temporary loss of situational awareness". Hard to blame caching for that.

A temporary loss of situational awareness, rolls off the tongue nicely.

Cache you later,

Planet

Afraid of heights? Not me, I'm afraid of widths!

I can relate to this. Went to Delaware for Christmas with two T/Bs in tow. Picked up another in SC for the trip. The weather was great and the hike through the woods was refreshing. After placing two T/Bs in caches was within 300 feet of third when stepped in leaf covered hole and fell. I had a dislocated right shoulder and torn cartilage in lower back. Of course it only hurt when I moved and breathed. After a one mile hike out and found help getting car keys from pocket I made it to the emergency room for xrays and painful adjustment.I decided my caching would have to wait. Had to bring third T/B back to Florida to place in a cache three weeks later.

A new bad-for-my-health story.

This morning I awoke at 5:30am to go nab some faraway caches. I was on the road by 6:00am, and arrived at the first cache at about 8:15 or so.

I found it, and then took a short drive to the nearby scenery which inspired the cache. I was taking some pictures.

Next thing I know, I wake up after having been asleep on the ground.

For the first few minutes, I didn't even think about why I was asleep.. I was mostly concerned with the excruciating headache I had. My camera was laying by my side, and I had several scrapes on my left hand.

I walked around for a bit, trying to make the headache go away, and slowly I began to form some curiosity as to why I was on the ground, sleeping.

Owing to the injuries on my hand, and some slight damage I found on my camera, I realized that I had passed out cold and collapsed. The headache is (probably) due to a bump I found on my head later.

Of all places, I had to faint while standing on a concrete boat ramp.

In any case, I went to the emergency room after I got home (a long drive) and they couldn't find anything. The doctor told me there were some more tests we could do, but I declined in deference to my limited income. I figured if something like that happens again, I'll check it out, but for now, I'll accept it as a fluke.

The most interesting thing was that I had parked my truck just before going to take pictures. When I walked back up to my truck after I had awoken, I checked the averaging function of my GPS. So, using my GPS, I was able to determine almost precisely how long I was out.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Next thing I know, I wake up after having been asleep on the ground.

For the first few minutes, I didn't even think about why I was asleep.. I was mostly concerned with the excruciating headache I had. My camera was laying by my side, and I had several scrapes on my left hand.

I walked around for a bit, trying to make the headache go away, and slowly I began to form some curiosity as to why I was on the ground, sleeping.

Owing to the injuries on my hand, and some slight damage I found on my camera, I realized that I had passed out cold and collapsed. The headache is (probably) due to a bump I found on my head later.

Jamie

Geocacher posted January 02, 2003 11:59 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be careful, be very careful

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by ErSamin:

Today, I was apporaching a cache and came across this cool looking little bright green ball. I picked it up and it was kind of squishy.

I hope it didn't fall out of an 'alien nest'.

The above was pasted fom "Amusing Stories" in this same forum.

If your chest starts throbbing really bad, see a doctor, don't even think about the first "Alien" movie.

quote:

The most interesting thing was that I had parked my truck just before going to take pictures. When I walked back up to my truck after I had awoken, I checked the averaging function of my GPS. So, using my GPS, I was able to determine almost precisely how long I was out.

Jamie

Well, don't leave us hanging... how long were you out.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I hit a cache in the Mississippi Delta this morning and noticed that Jamie had been there on his way to work that morning. Having read his post here, we proceeded to the near-by boat dock to make sure Jamie wasn't in danger of being washed down the river.

We didn't find him or his amazing cache-mobile, so I'm hoping he made it to work. icon_wink.gif

- If the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't call 'em biscuits. -

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Well, don't leave us hanging... how long were you out.

Right around 30 minutes.

I don't know what to think. Most of my days, I'm not doing much, but that particular day, I woke up early, had a big breakfast and headed out the door with big plans in mind.

I hope it doesn't happen again.

BB.. what time were you at the two caches? I wonder how close we were? I was in that area between 10:00-11:15.

Jamie

Hope you're ok. And please be careful. My mom has seizures and against her doctors wishes she drove her car (Mom has always loved to drive) and she ended up crossing the opposite side of the Tamiami Trail, clipped another car, and ended up in a pond with the car totalled, not knowing anything until she came to. She was up to her neck in water. Thank the Lord she is ok. But she now has no car (which we are glad of) and won't drive again (which makes me sad for her), it happened on her bicycle too, and she got pretty bruised up. Docotrs cannot find any cause for this in her case. You should go for an EKG, or CAT scan or something. Especially if it happens again. What if you hadn't parked the truck first and were still driving? Did you stand up real fast or something at the time, do you remember anything else?

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

quote:
BB.. what time were you at the two caches? I wonder how close we were? I was in that area between 10:00-11:15.

Jamie

We were about fourty-five minutes behind you.

On our trip back north, I took ChinaJack to find Jailhouse Rock. He was the first finder since you adopted it. Nice job on that Microcache Log Book.

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

Nice job on that Microcache Log Book.

I hope it holds up. I wanted to use waterproof paper, but I couldn't find any without buying a $20 ream.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

You should go for an EKG, or CAT scan or something.

A couple of friends suggested I go to the emergency room, so I called a nurse on duty at school, and she repeated their suggestion, even going so far as to recommend I find someone to drive me.

so.. I called a friend, and we went to the emergency room. The did a few tests, blood pressure, two EKG's, some physical tests (like sobriety tests) and asked lots of questions.

The doctor told me she was stumped. She said there was no reason it should have happened. She recommended a CAT scan, which I declined. As a part-time employee going to school, I don't have health insurance, and to pay for a CAT scan would cost me a substantial percentage of my yearly salary. The doctor even admitted that she didn't think the CAT scan would provide any results, but wanted to do it just to be sure. I took the stance that it was a one-time thing (maybe I was abducted by aliens) and if it happens again, then it's time to check it out. But for now, I'd rather eat.

Jamie

Reading your post brought up sad memories.

An ex-girlfriend of mine passed out one day at the office while sitting at her desk. Three days later she collapsed at the health club while walking on a treadmill. She was only 23 and in excellent health. Her doctor couldn't figure out was wrong with her and opted not to conduct more tests. 2 or 3 days later she died from a massive stroke.

I'm not saying this will happen to you, I would just be very careful. One more sign of trouble, get yourself thoroughly checked out. And ask the hospital for a financial hardship waiver. Many hospitals have special programs for students and people without a lot money who need specialized care. Another friend of mine is paying for gall stone surgery on the installment plan. He owes about $33,000 and was given a 50-year payment plan. As long as he makes a minimum payment, it never shows up on his credit report.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

quote:

She recommended a CAT scan, which I declined. As a part-time employee going to school, I don't have health insurance, and to pay for a CAT scan would cost me a substantial percentage of my yearly salary.

I actually don't know much about it, an ex-girlfriend used it before I met her, but might you qualify for Medicaid?

I'm also the type to wait for a repeat occurance before investing too much on a diagnosis, but something as critical as this is worth researching about.

Randy

PS: I'm very glad you were standing on a concrete boat ramp at the time rather than driving toward someone!

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:

...might you qualify for Medicaid?

PS: I'm very glad you were standing on a concrete boat ramp at the time rather than driving toward someone!

I don't know. I tend to think I wouldn't... since I have a job and have been employed for many years. I don't get any government assistance with school because I "make too much," and it seems that Madicaid would have an even lower threshold.

As far as passing out on a boat ramp, that's a good point. I just wish I'd been hunting for the cache in the soft grass when it happened. I banged myself up pretty good on the boat ramp.

Jamie

Well, probably not if you use common sense and also watch where you are walking. Try walking along the sidewalk looking down at your GPSr and walking into the edge of a handicapped only sign. The darn things are forehead level.

10 min. to get the bleeding stopped, a trip to the emergency room, strange (and disbelieving)looks from the personnel there and $300 dollars later someone else got to the cache first. The wife is never going to let me live this one down.

As a follow on, the insurance company has ask for the details to be re-submitted twice. I don't think they believe me about how it happened.

Hiemdahl

quote:

I don't know. I tend to think I wouldn't... since I have a job and have been employed for many years. I don't get any government assistance with school because I "make too much," and it seems that Madicaid would have an even lower threshold.

As far as passing out on a boat ramp, that's a good point. I just wish I'd been hunting for the cache in the soft grass when it happened. I banged myself up pretty good on the boat ramp.

Jamie

You mentioned a big breakfast, was it high carb like pancakes or cereal? If you were very active right after such a meal, it might have been low blood sugar. I get a bit hypoglycemic myself, although I just get shaky and dizzy.

quote:

(maybe I was abducted by aliens)

If it was aliens, you might have a small abrasion or vertical scar just above the hairline on the back of your neck.

It sounds like you were lucky and weren't abducted by the aliens who specialize in the old anal probe technique. Those guys give all the aliens a bad name...

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

...breakfast, was it high carb like pancakes or cereal? If you were very active right after such a meal, it might have been low blood sugar. I get a bit hypoglycemic myself, although I just get shaky and dizzy.

Other people have mentioned this too... but I'm skeptical.

My breakfast was a bowl or two of Frosted Flakes at about 5:45am. The incident occurred at about 8:45 or so. I felt fine beforehand, and have no memory of any indication that I might collapse. I don't remember falling or hitting the ground.

In fact, when I woke up, I felt pretty good (aside from my headache). At first I thought I'd just taken a short nap next to the water since it was such a lovely day. Only after I got up and walked around a bit (and noticed my bloody hand and damaged camera) did I consider the possibility that I had fallen. That's also about the time that I realized I don't remember lying down to take a nap.

So far in my mind, the leading candidate is a narcoleptic episode. I've never had that happen, but from reading a short bit of information about narcolepsy, my experience matches fairly closely to the description.

Jamie

Just today, I was hiking down a wash full of loose rocks. I was thinking to myself "My friend should come on this hike, but he might get hurt..." Just as I finished the thought I lost my footing and almost ended up with a sprained (or worse) ankle for the hike back to the truck... Ah, the irony. Be careful!

quote:
Originally posted by Basilisk:

Just today, I was hiking down a wash full of loose rocks. I was thinking to myself "My friend should come on this hike, but he might get hurt..." Just as I finished the thought I lost my footing and almost ended up with a sprained (or worse) ankle for the hike back to the truck... Ah, the irony. Be careful!

Thanks for the warning.

I just added an Ace bandage to my first-aid kit.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

I was doing some geocaching in the city parks here, and I slipped on some ice. Six days later I finally got out of the hospital. Thank gawd for medical insurance!

I was also very, very lucky. I slipped at 4:30pm, maybe an hour before sunset. The air temp at the time was around -10C (26F) and there were no houses around at all. The entire area surrounding the park is industrial. I was lucky in that the park was surprisingly busy, and I was able to get help almost instantly. As a result I was in the hospital ER less than half an hour after I fell. I'm not sure I would have survived a night lying on the ice there.

What could I do to keep it from happening again? Not much. I might consder getting a cellphone, but that wouldn't have made all that much difference here. Also I landed on my side, right on the pocket I normally carry electronics stuff in. The battery cover for the GPS ended up several feet away from me. Would a cellphone have survived? I really don't know, they don't seem to be particularly designed to be that rugged. About all I think will happen is that in future I will consder it as a warning, and be a bit more careful about even the easy things, like walking in the park.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

Nice job on that Microcache Log Book.

I hope it holds up. I wanted to use waterproof paper, but I couldn't find any without buying a $20 ream.

FYI: It looks like you can buy a little notebook here for as little as $2.95 + $2.00 s/h.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

My wife fell and broke her leg at the ankle while we were out on a geo-expedition in Phoenix...we found the cache at the top and we were almost at the bottom (Make Out Mountain)..we spent the afternoon in an emergency room and she spent the next day in the motel..btw she sent me out caching as long as I would check up on her every so often. After she healed she was back out cachin' with me...

barondriver1.jpg

JamieZ,

Is your vehicle leaking exhaust fumes into your passenger compartment. The carbon monoxide would cause a bad headache after inhaling and it can cause you to pass out. AND DIE TOO. Check it out!

Were the windows up as you drove?

Buy, borrow or steal a CM sensor and carry it in your vehicle on your next long trip.

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win,

and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service