Magellan eXplorist GC

2TALLtyler

I am currently am without computer but I have a job where I am at the computer quite often. The computer however will not let me download the Magellan communicator at work without the IT password. I have an external hard drive is there a way around my situation until I have a computer of my own?

2TallTyler - If you were a Premium Member, you could easily create a Bookmark List, manually add the caches you want to download into the list, then run a Pocket Query from that list, which will email you two files that will hold all the cache & wapoint data; a .GPX file which you would just copy into the GEOCACHES folder on your Explorist, and a .WPT file which goes into the WAYPOINTS folder.

A good reason to come up with the $$ for PM status. I don't need to be at MY computer to grab cache data.

Other than that, unfortunatly I don't know of a way to get the data downloaded without the Navigator installed on the PC.

Hopefully, someone will prove me wrong!?

2TallTyler - If you were a Premium Member, you could easily create a Bookmark List, manually add the caches you want to download into the list, then run a Pocket Query from that list, which will email you two files that will hold all the cache & wapoint data; a .GPX file which you would just copy into the GEOCACHES folder on your Explorist, and a .WPT file which goes into the WAYPOINTS folder.

A good reason to come up with the $$ for PM status. I don't need to be at MY computer to grab cache data.

Other than that, unfortunatly I don't know of a way to get the data downloaded without the Navigator installed on the PC.

Thanks I'll try and give that a shot!

Thanks I'll try and give that a shot!

The other upside is that when you 'batch' downloads you end up with, for example, one GPX file with 100 caches in it, as opposed to 100 GPX files on your Explorist if you download them one at a time.

Individual GPX files take longer to load (start-up time) and it makes it harder to manage when you're in there with Windows Explorer. I rename the PQ files when I load them with the PQ id (which is the default name) and a note like "ABC123_NewYorkCity_20130426.gpx".

The Explorist doesn't care what you call it, but there have been times when I download PQ results in preparation for a trip, and update it (add or delete caches) as I get closer to leaving. This way, I know exactly which downloaded file to replace.

I've written an easy to read document on using a Magellan GPS, doing a Pocket Query (or downloading individual caches) and also using Magellan's Vantage Point software. It's all on my resource site. Click hereand scroll to the bottom of the page.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Hey, guess what? I proved MYSELF wrong!

Just to the left of the "Send to my GPS" button on a cache page, there's a "GPX File" button. This puts a GPX file on your PC. Then, just move it (or them, if there are Waypoints) into the GEOCACHES (and WAYPOINTS) folder(s) on your Explorist using Windows Explorer.

The Navigator is only required when you want to have the GPX and WPT files put into the correct folders on the Explorist FOR you.

Problem solved.

I'm rather new with my Explorist GC but currently I have several pocket queries that run each week - or in some cases every couple of days. I might upload them directly into the Explorist - or into GSAK, where I can look them over, remove the ones that are missing or not found recently, sort by closeness to my target area etc. Then after I filter those, I upload them into the Explorist. It took only a few minutes to upload almost 1,000 caches. Then I decided I needed to cut my "viewing area" down a little since that was a 20 mile radius of my home. :) Now I get only 40 - within a 2 mile radius.

I agree with the others who tout the Premium membership. For $30 US, it provides you with a bunch of benefits. There are also a number of PMO (Premium Member Only) caches so you have more to search for as well. I've found it well worth the money.