Urban Ruins Caching? Urban Wasteland Caching?

Ok Ok I have found cache's in countless beautiful and remote areas.. ( thats what I usually aim for) i.e. remote areas etc.. Anyway, I am planning on putting out my own caches and was thinking of putting them into areas that contrast starky with the relitively untouched wilderness cache's out there. This neck of the woods would contrast even more starkly than urban caches in cities etc... I am going to aim for caches in relitively safe yet completely obliterated urban wastelands of industrial giants like the steel mill areas and other industrial centers around in Cleveland... im not talking about inside abandoned buildings etc... but in my opinion geocaching has turned me on to some increadibly beautiful areas... and now looking back I think I would like to balance that perspective with a dose of reality... by droping cache's in unique ancient and long abandoned industrial areas showcasing our waste of resouces, pollution and corporate america's utter disreguard for our inner cities industrial spots. Do caches of this nature... that may take you into the very heart of a cities industrial wasteland sound appealing... granted I am aiming for safe spots... i.e. no sketchy charectors hanging out on corners etc... even the ghetto stays out of this neck of the woods!

I find the sci fi landscape of these areas facinating... and am aiming to share them with others.... what do you think?

null

. . . . . ..T 3 a |/| B a || d i T 0.. . . .

These areas , while being abandoned, still belong to someone ,or some company, and therefore are priviate property.

So anybody doing caching would be tresspassing. This might cause an increased involment of local authorithies thus indangering the cache and or the Rep of this Sport.

Not to mention that at any time the area could be cleaned up by road crews and would wisk away the cache without giving a second thought to what it was. I know thats what happened to our second cache.

Just my opinion

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

As an envirionmental engineer / scientist, i have done several hundred hours of brownfield assessment (evaluation of polluted property) and Phase 1 environmental site assessments in this area. I already have property boundry maps for the area and am rather familier with it. I plan on putting these on city propery. Additionally, there is no service crews from the city that make it down to where I am going... in fact the roads get plowed about every week and a half and thats about it... in fact last summer I was working down there and a tree was blocking the road for like almost a week and a half before anyone did anything about it. The city will never find em!

I appreciate the point about private property.. it is highly valid.. though some of the best caches i have found have been on private property... at the least I think this fact should be disclosed in the cache page. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

As an envirionmental engineer / scientist, i have done several hundred hours of brownfield assessment (evaluation of polluted property) and Phase 1 environmental site assessments in this area. I already have property boundry maps for the area and am rather familier with it. I plan on putting these on city propery. Additionally, there is no service crews from the city that make it down to where I am going... in fact the roads get plowed about every week and a half and thats about it... in fact last summer I was working down there and a tree was blocking the road for like almost a week and a half before anyone did anything about it. The city will never find em!

I appreciate the point about private property.. it is highly valid.. though some of the best caches i have found have been on private property... at the least I think this fact should be disclosed in the cache page. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

There is a small city park along the river in Flint Michigan right behind the biggest abandoned factory ever. The GM Buick Plant. At almost 2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide, it's now being dismaltled one brick at a time.

...And you could also put caches in junkyards, Sewage treatment plants, slaughterhouses, Mercury mines, etc...

A lot of geocachers wouldn't want to visit, but the people who do visit would then be able to FEEL that by noticing a problem that they've somehow helped to fixed it.

--- yrium ---

yes indeed mercury mines is what I had in mind. You know where they dig up those glass thermomaters! lol

Oboyle Photo some urban ruins some travel

Abandoned Places - possibly the best site i have seen for urban ruins photog!

its amazing how many people are into abandoned wharehouses etc... there is growing interest in these spots... i can see it now 50 years from now people will be chaining themselves to abandoned buildings trying to stop bulldozerz!

Yes I want to Cache in new places!! Get me out of those filty woods! in into the dirty city! lol icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<-T 3 a |/| B a || d i T 0->

S [] U T |-| 3 U < |_ i D [] |-| | []

yes indeed mercury mines is what I had in mind. You know where they dig up those glass thermomaters! lol

Oboyle Photo some urban ruins some travel

Abandoned Places - possibly the best site i have seen for urban ruins photog!

its amazing how many people are into abandoned wharehouses etc... there is growing interest in these spots... i can see it now 50 years from now people will be chaining themselves to abandoned buildings trying to stop bulldozerz!

Yes I want to Cache in new places!! Get me out of those filty woods! in into the dirty city! lol icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by <-T3am Ba||dit0->:

Ok Ok I have found cache's in countless beautiful and remote areas.. ( thats what I usually aim for) i.e. remote areas etc.. Anyway, I am planning on putting out my own caches and was thinking of putting them into areas that contrast starky with the relitively untouched wilderness cache's out there. This neck of the woods would contrast even more starkly than urban caches in cities etc... I am going to aim for caches in relitively safe yet completely obliterated urban wastelands of industrial giants like the steel mill areas and other industrial centers around in Cleveland... im not talking about inside abandoned buildings etc... but in my opinion geocaching has turned me on to some increadibly beautiful areas... and now looking back I think I would like to balance that perspective with a dose of reality... by droping cache's in unique ancient and long abandoned industrial areas showcasing our waste of resouces, pollution and corporate america's utter disreguard for our inner cities industrial spots. Do caches of this nature... that may take you into the very heart of a cities industrial wasteland sound appealing... granted I am aiming for safe spots... i.e. no sketchy charectors hanging out on corners etc... even the ghetto stays out of this neck of the woods!

I find the sci fi landscape of these areas facinating... and am aiming to share them with others.... what do you think?

null

I really like the idea. It's got me to thinking (now *that* really is something).

Reminds me of Metagrrl's cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14862

Bluespreacher

ohhhh yeah, now lets combine geocaching with my other hobbym urban exploration. im down.

as for that GM plant in flint, thanks for the heads up. im very very tempted to get my crew together and drive up to explore that, sounds like an urban explorers dream.

ive got a series of caches planned here for urban or abandoned areas, i just havent gotten around to planting them yet.

as for urban exploration pics, i guess i should plug my website. 403 Forbidden i know theres alot of broken images and links, its sort of in a period of readjustment, i need to finish fixing the new design.

[Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC]

[403forbidden.urbanexploration.org]

I can see we are on the same page as far as urban archeology and ruins exploration.

I may have to contribute some of my photog to your site, as it seems appropriatly fitting.

Keep up the good work... there are alot of other site out there on this to... i need to find the links... a lot on Nike Missle silo exploration and of course college tunnels icon_biggrin.gif

I can see we are on the same page as far as urban archeology and ruins exploration.

I may have to contribute some of my photog to your site, as it seems appropriatly fitting.

Keep up the good work... there are alot of other site out there on this to... i need to find the links... a lot on Nike Missle silo exploration and of course college tunnels icon_biggrin.gif

you wanna see some amazing pics, check out my friend Panic's site at www.urbanadventure.org im gonna hafta make it to austrailia some day just to see some of those places

anyway, you make an interesting point, ive been considering running a site where anyone can log in and post pics of cool places for others to ooh and ahh over, i wonder if it would work well or if it would go largely ignored.

[Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC]

[403forbidden.urbanexploration.org]

When I went to the gym this morning I remebered this topic and something someone else told me.

Back When going west meant to seek your fortune in lumber or in iron or copper mines from Michigan, Rivers were the main source of transport.

There was a building fire here in Saginaw recently that burned like a blow torch because cold pure oxygen was being sucked up the old tunnels that lead from the river. Apperantly, when a merchant boat docked they took the goods directly into tunnels that lead to the buyers warehouse or store. most of these were closed but i think I did see one that had been gated across from the park next to the YMCA.

These tunnel are probably very old and historic. But im not the tpe to go climbing in confined dark places.

quote:
Originally posted by Clan Ferguson:

These areas , while being abandoned, still belong to someone ,or some company, and therefore are priviate property.

So anybody doing caching would be tresspassing. This might cause an increased involment of local authorithies thus indangering the cache and or the Rep of this Sport.

Not to mention that at any time the area could be cleaned up by road crews and would wisk away the cache without giving a second thought to what it was. I know thats what happened to our second cache.

Just my opinion

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

Not always the case. In my area of NJ theres a park set aside for public hiking, in part set aside because it was under threat of desctruction &/or development. John Rockefeller bought a lot of the land to donate to the park on the condition the homes be razed. most were but not 100%. I've established a 3 part geocache expedition which covers most of the park and all the ruins...

Ruins of the palisades

I wasnt terribler happy with the theming or the mechanics so I'm going to be redoing them completely but keeping the same basic paths covered....

WUHOO TEAMGWHO!