Water Parks

There is a waterpark near home that I would like to waymark but I can't decide whether to submit it to the Public Pools category (seems like the closest match), or if there is a better category or whether this deserves a new category.

I feel that Water Parks are sufficiently different from public pools. Water parks typically focus on "rides" - they will have several waterslides or various lengths and styles (body slides and tube slides), some have wave pools, and various splash pools and structures. To me a public pool is just that - a single pool which may or may not have one or a few simple waterslides and one or more diving boards.

Examples of some water parks:

Example 1: An oputdoor waterpark owned and run by a munciple government http://www.conservationhamilton.ca/wild-waterworks-attractions

original.jpg

Example 2: A privately owned outdoor waterpark http://www.emeraldlake.ca/Water_Park.html

Example 3: A privaetly owned indoor waterpark http://www.fallsviewwaterpark.com/

fallsview-indoor-water-park.jpg

Example 4: A privaetly owned indoor waterpark associated with a hotel / resort http://www.greatwolf.com/niagara/waterpark/overview

great-wolf-lodge1-500x337.jpg

Example of some Public Pools which have some waterslides etc but (IMO) would not be considered as a Water park

Example 1: http://www.fernie.ca/siteengine/activepage.asp?PageID=111

%7B9CF8CB23-600E-4FDC-BD8B-55852A2EA979%7D11150008.jpg

Example 2: a single pool with a single waterslide

pool-waterslide.jpg

While I'm here, I might as well raise a related question: what about public splash pads (typically outdoor) - where can these go?

Examples:

lrg_Splash%20Pad.jpg

DSCN5140.JPG

I'm curious to hear from more experienced Waymarkers before putting together a category description.

Thanks

Water parks are covered by Public Swimming Pools. They seem also to be accepted in Amusement Parks (that was new to me, they are rare in my closer area).

Splash pads are no pools in my opinion, but I am not an officer of that category; maybe you could ask there. I know some Fountains that are used as splash pads by local kids, but this will not work for all of them. I think, not everything needs to be waymarked, I don't see a good reason to create a category for them.

Thanks for your replies. Not to much of a consensus here about the category but then again n=3 is not much of a sample size <_<. It seems to me that it's a bit of a forced fit to put these waterparks in either the Public Pools or the Amusement Parks categories, they really seem to fall somewhere in between. I noticed today that there is a category for "welcome signs" and one for "artistic welcome signs" and here I see the distinction to be very weak, yet other waymarkable locations get forced into categories they can barely qualify for.

As for the splash pads, I agree with fi67 that they don't deserve a new category I was only wondering if they were already being posted to a current category. most of the spashpads I know about are located in public parks and possibly could be included in the Public Playgrounds category

I noticed today that there is a category for "welcome signs" and one for "artistic welcome signs" and here I see the distinction to be very weak, yet other waymarkable locations get forced into categories they can barely qualify for.

The titles of the these two categories really don't reflect the real differences between these two categories. The welcome sign category (the older of the two categories)only takes welcome signs where there is a slogan on the sign and the the artistic welcome signs category only takes ones with an artistic element. There is some overlap with those that have both but very distinct difference in the category descriptions.

When the first category is a more inclusive category is is difficult to create a category that is a subset of it. If first category is not as inclusive then it is easier for a new category. In your case if amusement parks had excludes water parks then water parks would have been a viable category but since they are included in amusement parks then the viability of a separate category is not there.

Edited by BruceS
spelling

The titles of the these two categories really don't reflect the real differences between these two categories. The welcome sign category (the older of the two categories)only takes welcome signs where there is a slogan on the sign and the the artistic welcome signs category only takes ones with an artistic element. There is some overlap with those that have both but very distinct difference in the category descriptions.

When the first category is a more inclusive category is is difficult to create a category that is a subset of it. If first category is not as inclusive then it is easier for a new category. In your case if amusement parks had excludes water parks then water parks would have been a viable category but since they are included in amusement parks then the viability of a separate category is not there.

Thank-you for the reply, that helps me understand quite a bit.

Adding to this discussion, if Water Parks category would have come first... then no doubt there would be no problem adding Amusement Parks category and they probably would exclude Water Parks. You would wouldn't have included Amusement Parks in a Water Parks category but including Water Parks in Amusement Parks is reasonable.