Your most challenging Cache?

Guest Caver

I am new to geocaching. I have only 3 finds and I don't even own a GPS unit(yet!). I was wondering what has been your most challenging find or placement? I found that the easy ones were not nearly as satisfying as the harder cache I have found. Tell us your story!

Guest n1niq

The first (and yet only)

attempt to locate a cache ended when my wife and I discovered it was on an island surrounded by thin ice. Oh well, we're going to try again this weekend at another site.

Guest ScottJ

The most challenging one I've hit so far was the "Blackrock Basin" cache in the Shenandoah NP. We gave up after about 3 hours. It's somewhere on a talus slope about 200 feet high and 100 yards wide. The rocks range from the size of pebbles to the size of VW Beetles, and there are literally MILLIONS of small cracks, crevices, gaps, and holes where it COULD be. We never found the one where it WAS... icon_smile.gif

Scott

Guest ScottJ

The most challenging one I've hit so far was the "Blackrock Basin" cache in the Shenandoah NP. We gave up after about 3 hours. It's somewhere on a talus slope about 200 feet high and 100 yards wide. The rocks range from the size of pebbles to the size of VW Beetles, and there are literally MILLIONS of small cracks, crevices, gaps, and holes where it COULD be. We never found the one where it WAS... icon_smile.gif

Scott

Guest 300mag

Today me and my son 8 tried to find a cache.By the time we got there put on the snow-shoes and hit the route plotted, it was getting late.I also had to go back to lock my truck up.Yes i forgot icon_wink.gifLucky for me i had just left.We where at .56 of a mile from finding the cache(whatever that is)when we turned back.It was also getting late and i didn't think we would make it back before sundown.My son which is exactly 5 times youger than me had trouble keeping up.I guess it's the new generation with game boy's etc...It is also true that i walk 10 km every day.It was still fun to see the different hills ponds beaver dams deer tracks etc.The best is the mini cave i found. While showing it to my son we entered inside.I talked of how it would be cool to come back and sleep in here when i noticed a small cement plaque with two hooks in the bottom.I pried it out but behind there was a wall of ice.I suppose someone used this to hide something a long time ago(mysterious).It will be interresting to go back and find the cache and go to this place when the ice and snow melts.I also found a trail to get to the cache instead of going straight through to forest which will also be easier.

Guest 300mag

Today me and my son 8 tried to find a cache.By the time we got there put on the snow-shoes and hit the route plotted, it was getting late.I also had to go back to lock my truck up.Yes i forgot icon_wink.gifLucky for me i had just left.We where at .56 of a mile from finding the cache(whatever that is)when we turned back.It was also getting late and i didn't think we would make it back before sundown.My son which is exactly 5 times youger than me had trouble keeping up.I guess it's the new generation with game boy's etc...It is also true that i walk 10 km every day.It was still fun to see the different hills ponds beaver dams deer tracks etc.The best is the mini cave i found. While showing it to my son we entered inside.I talked of how it would be cool to come back and sleep in here when i noticed a small cement plaque with two hooks in the bottom.I pried it out but behind there was a wall of ice.I suppose someone used this to hide something a long time ago(mysterious).It will be interresting to go back and find the cache and go to this place when the ice and snow melts.I also found a trail to get to the cache instead of going straight through to forest which will also be easier.

Guest kbraband

I placed a cache (I won't say which one so I don't spoil it for those searching) that's fairly hard to find. It's in a hollow log -- not in the end where you'd expect to look, but near the middle. You have to remove an outer section of the log like a secret door to find the container inside the log. One hunter said she sat right on top of it for awhile before finding it.