Time/date stamp of logs

chaosmanor

I have looked for a thread on this topic, and cannot find one. If one exists, sorry for the duplication; feel free to point me in the right direction.

My question is this: is there a way to find the date and time of when a log is actually filed? I am not looking for the date of when the cache was Found; that's obvious. What I want is the actual date and time (or at least the date) of when the log was submitted. I have looked in the Page Source of logs, but cannot find anything that shows when the log was actually submitted.

I am in "discussion" (trying hard to keep it from boiling over) with a cacher who attended last year's Flash Mob Event which we hosted. She did not get her Souvenir, and I know that she submitted her "Attended" log well after the cut-off, but I have not been able to find a way to prove it, and I am loathe to tell her to take it to Groundspeak. If I have no other option, that's fine, but I'm hoping to keep it from getting to that point.

No. If I logged Souvenir enabled cache today that occurred three years ago I should get the Souvenir. That's a gc.com issue.

If you question the validity of the Attended talk to your reviewer.

Actually, it was made pretty clear that, for WWFM IX, one had to post an "Attended" log within two weeks in order to get the Souvenir for it. It is still posted on the WWFM website:

http://www.gcwwfm.com/Resources/attendees

I assume that this will be changed soon, as this rule is (I gather) not going to apply for WWFM X

Actually, it was made pretty clear that, for WWFM IX, one had to post an "Attended" log within two weeks in order to get the Souvenir for it. It is still posted on the WWFM website:

Got a divorce, split from my team, finally decided to create my own account so I am logging the caches I found.

I find it very interesting that gc.com agreed to update the technical part of logging just for that event.

Edited by BlueDeuce

What I want is the actual date and time (or at least the date) of when the log was submitted. I have looked in the Page Source of logs, but cannot find anything that shows when the log was actually submitted.

You won't be able to find this directly, but there's a way you can get a rough estimate.

Each log is assigned a GL code. These codes, like GC codes, are assigned sequentially. If you have a record of some GL codes and their respective logging dates and times, you can find where the log in question fits in. What you can use for this is notification emails, like finds on your caches or publish, disable, enable, etc. emails. These emails have the GL code in the "Visit this log entry..." link, and the date and time of the email tell you when the log was submitted. The more of these emails you have, the more accurately you'll be to determine the time. Being the owner of quite a few caches, you probably have enough emails between find logs and other notification emails to get a pretty accurate estimate of the time.

@BlueDeuce: AFAIK, the requirement to log a cache within a specified time period to get a souvenir has been pretty standard and isn't specific to WWFM IX. The same requirement applied to the first International Geocaching Day (I ran into that problem myself), and I believe it also applied to things like 10-10-10, Leap Day, and Mega Events. As chaosmanor stated, though, it sounds like this requirement will be lifted for WWFM X, and presumably for any future date-specific souvenirs.

My question is this: is there a way to find the date and time of when a log is actually filed?

Recently someone pointed out that every log has a ID (GLxxxxx) and since this IDs will be issued by Groundspeak in consecutive order you are somewhat able to determine if a log was written way out of order compared to the stated date.

Since then I wonder if anybody (with access to a wide range of logs eg in GSAK) could build a quick and dirty formula to calculate a rough estimation of the date of any given log-ID.

Edit: havent seen the reply from the A-Team. Must be him I refered to :D

Edited by Hynz

She did not get her Souvenir, and I know that she submitted her "Attended" log well after the cut-off, but I have not been able to find a way to prove it...

I reread your post and realized I could look up the cacher's log myself. You're in luck! Assuming the cacher is 411tracker who mentioned not receiving the souvenir, their log's GL code slots in during the time when hundreds of caches were being published for our annual cache-hiding event. That is, I was getting several publish emails each minute at the time they submitted their log, so I can get an extremely accurate date and time of their log submission. I can say with 100% certainty that 411tracker submitted log GLA6DWAB at either 8:50 or 8:51 am PST on February 2, 2013. They were almost 8 months too late to receive the souvenir automatically.

If the cacher was Kyhoya1115, their log was submitted on either June 28 or 29, 2012, also too late to receive the souvenir automatically (assuming that period was 2 weeks).

Like BlueDeuce, I'm a bit confused about what the controversy is. As the owner, you'd receive an email when they submitted their log, so you should already know exactly when they did so. By my calculations, both of the above cachers were too late to get the souvenir automatically, so they would need to email contact@geocaching.com to ask them to manually apply the souvenir. I'm curious why this wasn't suggested at the outset and how the discussion almost got to the point of "boiling over". From this end, it looks pretty cut-and-dried. There must be something the rest of us are missing.

You don't get a souvenir if, say you logged a cache six months later?

As I said in my earlier post, it has been standard for there to be a 2 week time limit in which you need to log a cache to get a date-based souvenir like WWFMs, International Geocaching Day, 10-10-10, etc. I personally missed the first International Geocaching Day souvenir's deadline because I was traveling at the time and didn't get home until more than 2 weeks later. I had to email Groundspeak and ask them to manually apply it.

I don't think there's a deadline for Mega events based on a bit of research I did just now.

Region-based souvenirs will be awarded regardless of when you submit your log.

Now, I don't know if this is still the case at this time. chaosmanor said they've heard that there won't be a deadline for WWFM X, so there may not be any deadlines at all anymore. We'll just have to wait and see.

My sincere apologies for not following up on this. Family issues, amongst other things, completely blew this out of my mind. That being said...

She did not get her Souvenir, and I know that she submitted her "Attended" log well after the cut-off, but I have not been able to find a way to prove it...

I reread your post and realized I could look up the cacher's log myself. You're in luck! Assuming the cacher is 411tracker who mentioned not receiving the souvenir, their log's GL code slots in during the time when hundreds of caches were being published for our annual cache-hiding event. That is, I was getting several publish emails each minute at the time they submitted their log, so I can get an extremely accurate date and time of their log submission. I can say with 100% certainty that 411tracker submitted log GLA6DWAB at either 8:50 or 8:51 am PST on February 2, 2013. They were almost 8 months too late to receive the souvenir automatically.

If the cacher was Kyhoya1115, their log was submitted on either June 28 or 29, 2012, also too late to receive the souvenir automatically (assuming that period was 2 weeks).

Like BlueDeuce, I'm a bit confused about what the controversy is. As the owner, you'd receive an email when they submitted their log, so you should already know exactly when they did so. By my calculations, both of the above cachers were too late to get the souvenir automatically, so they would need to email contact@geocaching.com to ask them to manually apply the souvenir. I'm curious why this wasn't suggested at the outset and how the discussion almost got to the point of "boiling over". From this end, it looks pretty cut-and-dried. There must be something the rest of us are missing.

Thank you very much for this information! It is exactly what I was looking for :lol: 411tracker is the cacher in question, and I will now be able to explain to her why she didn't get her souvenir. As for the e-mail that I got of her Attended log, I don't keep every e-mail I get. Had I thought that an issue might be raised, I would have kept it. I will also suggest, again, that she e-mail contact@...