using satallite maps

acachebox

I am having a problem using the website larger map on my laptop.

When I view the smaller map on the cache page I can change the view to the various versions, but as soon as I click for a larger map this choice disappears and I cannot change to satelite view.

I used to be able to, but the last couple of days I no longer have this option?

I like to be able to look overall on the map to see all the caches plotted against satelite view, but am having to open up a new window and go direct to google maps and then work out where the caches are that way :(

Any thoughts?

The only satellite view that I get seems to be MapQuest Aerial? That does show caches - eventually (maps seem to be really clunky recently - don't know why, I think there was some sort of functionality improvement made...). I believe those that pay get google maps by default.

In the UK (where we both seem to be) MapQuest Aerial is pretty sucky by the looks of it - there's virtually no helpful zoom at all and I seem to have to view most of Norfolk to see any imagery. If you look in the UK forum you'll find the Map Enhancements thread which will almost certainly deal with mapping perfectly for you. The instructions are a little complex at times - depending on which browser you're using - but it's a fabulous little thing that's wprth persevering with.

If you want to use satellite view, you need to make sure you've set up your map preferences to be set to Google, NOT the Leaflet maps - since the only version there is MapQuest Aerial which is not high quality. Look in the left sidebar of the maps, you'll see a button that says "Set Map Preferences." Click that, and click on the Google maps - then you'll be able to toggle between the normal Google maps and the high-quality satellite view.

If you want to use satellite view, you need to make sure you've set up your map preferences to be set to Google, NOT the Leaflet maps - since the only version there is MapQuest Aerial which is not high quality. Look in the left sidebar of the maps, you'll see a button that says "Set Map Preferences." Click that, and click on the Google maps - then you'll be able to toggle between the normal Google maps and the high-quality satellite view.

Ordinary members can't do that any more - we only get Leaflet maps these days.

Redwoodkestrel, it seems that only premium members can do what you suggested, but thanks for the advice!

Blue Square Thing I could kiss you :) That thread you sent me too solved the issue, and I can now see the caches using google maps!!

Sorry for the delay in replying, was out geocaching lol!!

I am on a HUGE learning curve on how to do these things and working out the best way to plan and carry out searching for caches, but enjoying it all the same. Hoping the British weather allows me more chances to find more unlike last summer where we had floods almost every week!

Thanks again :D

Good job - as a heads up, if the maps break at any point it's because someone (either Groundspeak or the mapping provider or both) changed something. Check in that thread and someone will sort out how to fix it. It gets updated every now and again as well.

I find the OS map view option useful - too many years of teaching geography I guess :-)

Thank you!

I like the google map for showing the caches on there but then being able to zoom in properly to see where to park for a collection of caches as well.

Thanks again for the advice. Could do with someone nearby helping me, but I guess that is all the fun of learning! Had one today that I realised required climbing a tree - I didnt try that one out lol!