G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. 2014

avroair

Geocoinfest was conceived in 2006 and went to Temecula, CA in 2007.

2008 saw it travel to Steel City: GCF Pittsburgh 2008.

The following year it traveled to the Crossroads of the West and Salt Lake City.

The Event moved north to the Twin Cities 2010 (Minneapolis).

Then east to Charlotte, GCF 2011.

Last year it hopped up a Mile High to: Denver

and this coming fall what happens at Coinfest Las Vegas stays at Coinfest Las Vegas!

And it is time to start thinking about where the event should move to in 2014 and beyond? If you want to host it, put together a team, a plan and a vision and then a bid.

Some things people need to think about:

* this event(s) take time to pull together, at least 7 months

* the Geocoinfest is held in the fall typically on Columbus day weekend

* the city needs to have a major airport that is generally accessible

* city needs to have nearby attractions rather than just the coins and caches

* there needs to be ample hotels in the area

* geocoinfest is typically an indoor event; the actual event site needs to hold a mega-sized crowd

* there needs to be 2 (preferably 3) local coin coordinators, we need coin people, not just general cachers

* vendors are not allowed to bid, this is a conflict of interest

* need to work within a team environment

Bids are due June 1st, 2013:

Previous organizers of Geocoinfests will receive each bid and vote on their merits under 10 criteria. There will be two finalists. This will be finished by August 1st. The winning bid will be announced at Geocoinfest 2013 in Las Vegas.

I have a sheet of what to expect if anyone is interested, I also have the bid proposals that can help.

If you know your city would be good to host a mega event, post it here! And see if other cachers in your area concur!

Hmmm.... got some ideas and I could likely get the local geocaching group to back me but I'm really the only "coin person" in my area... :unsure:

CF30

That's okay as long as the people who help you would take directives from you since you would be the only one who has attended this event before and knows coins.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Hey what about lil ole me? Crowesfeat30? I live in the same state and would appreciate it being closer if I am to continue having fun with coins. I think I am a coiner as I have done 8 or 9 productions (maybe more). I am working on several currently too. I would love to see it in the MO area too! SLAGA can be a great organization for support.

Hey what about lil ole me? Crowesfeat30? I live in the same state and would appreciate it being closer if I am to continue having fun with coins. I think I am a coiner as I have done 8 or 9 productions (maybe more). I am working on several currently too. I would love to see it in the MO area too! SLAGA can be a great organization for support.

Well, that's one. :) Anyone else from MO (or St. Louis) wanna help?

CF30

Well, that's one. :) Anyone else from MO (or St. Louis) wanna help?

CF30

Just a reminder. No vendors on the event committee. They can be volunteers, like cache addict was for CO (I'm sure JoeFriday can explain that relationship if you ask him), but a vendor in no way can be on the event committee - due to bias, the unfairness to all other vendors, etc. A vendor is described as someone who produces coins or merchandise directly with the mint and/or has vended at past events.

No vendors on the event committee.

They can be volunteers, like cache addict was for CO (I'm sure JoeFriday can explain that relationship if you ask him), but a vendor in no way can be on the event committee - due to bias, the unfairness to all other vendors, etc. A vendor is described as someone who produces coins or merchandise directly with the mint and/or has vended at past events.

That's right. It's a conflict of interest having a vendor running the show. They can be available as a close consultant for answering questions about event coin design and minting, vendor relations for the event, and can certainly make tags or coins for fund raising efforts. And of course promoting the event locally. But can't be the ones calling the shots.

No vendors on the event committee.

They can be volunteers, like cache addict was for CO (I'm sure JoeFriday can explain that relationship if you ask him), but a vendor in no way can be on the event committee - due to bias, the unfairness to all other vendors, etc. A vendor is described as someone who produces coins or merchandise directly with the mint and/or has vended at past events.

That's right. It's a conflict of interest having a vendor running the show. They can be available as a close consultant for answering questions about event coin design and minting, vendor relations for the event, and can certainly make tags or coins for fund raising efforts. And of course promoting the event locally. But can't be the ones calling the shots.

EXXXXXCUSE ME! I am not wanting to call any shots (except maybe coming closer to MO) so I don't have to travel so far. I think my little vendor space was the smallest at the CO event and I only want to support the committee wherever it is next year. I said SLAGA would be the organization to support it NOT me. It would just me nice to have it closer to home. I am not getting any younger! LOL.

Voting was held by committee (past GCF committee members) on July 15th and a winning bid was selected. I'm sure Mark will make an official announcement once the bid locations are notified.

In the past, next year GCF is not annouced until the end this years GCF. So I would not excect the winner to be anounce to the public until October.

Voting was held by committee (past GCF committee members) on July 15th and a winning bid was selected. I'm sure Mark will make an official announcement once the bid locations are notified.

In the past, next year GCF is not annouced until the end this years GCF. So I would not excect the winner to be anounce to the public until October.

Yep.

The selection has been made. The bidders have been notified. The announcement will be at Gecooinfest Las Vegas 2013!

Hope to see you all in Vegas baby!