How do I Edit the Macros on MapSource to Show What I Want it to?

TC+12

So I know you can do it, I watched some people do it at the Midwest Geobash last year a few months after I started Geocaching. However now that I am trying to do it myself I have no idea how to do it. I'm not even sure where I to go to edit these macro things. As I said in the description I mainly just want the Difficulty, Terrain, Size, and the Cache's Name. Maybe the Hint too, but most caches won't have room for all that plus the Hint anyway. Can someone help me with this?? Thanks! :)

Hi.

First off, you need to provide a little more info, such as the model of GPS unit you're using.

Also, did you mean to say GSAK instead of MapSource? GSAK has lots of cool macros, including some that do exactlly what you're asking for.

Oh. Ummm no, I don't have GSAK. I used to, but it ran out and I haven't gotten around to re-downloading & installing it to get rid of the nag screen. And my GPS unit I am using is a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx.

Not aware of any Macros that run within MapSource; but I don't claim to know everything and maybe we can both learn. However, I just downloaded and opened a cache in MapSource, and it displays the waypoint by the GC number, and adds the Cache Name, CO, Type (not size), and D/T in the Comments field. I forget the keystroke sequence for the 60 to view these comments, but they should also be transferred with the waypoint. I don't think you're gonna get the hint as well using only MapSource.

Is it possible that what you observed was cache data that had already been washed through GSAK or another caching program, and they were just displaying it in MapSource?

Is it possible that what you observed was cache data that had already been washed through GSAK or another caching program, and they were just displaying it in MapSource?

No, I talked to the guy just this weekend and he says that it was on MapSource. Apparently there are ways that you can do it, supposedly only the people who are "really good" with MapSource and with manipulating the Macros can do it well. That's why he can't teach me, because he isn't as good at it as others are. :/

There are no such things as macros with Mapsource. This is easily done with GSAK using existing macros that people have written.

Hmmmm. Okay, well how do I find these Macros for GSAK then?? Do I have to buy them? Or do you just find them posted out there on the web or something like that??

OK, now we're getting somewhere. You have a 60CSx, and want Cache Name, D/T, Size and the Hint. :) First, the Master macro index for GSAK is here. You'll see there are hundreds of macros; and I forget which one(s) does this. However, there's another way. In GSAK, click GPS>setup, and select the 60CSx. Then click GPS again, >Send waypoints... a dialog box will open. In the "Waypoint Name" field, enter %name. This will be the name of the cache displayed (rather than GC#) and is limited to 14(?) characters. In the "Waypoint Description Format" field, enter %typ1 %con1 %dif %ter %hint. This information will be loaded in the Comments for that cache, and is also limited (sorry, I'm forgetting how many, but IIRC its 80 characters). Click Save, and these settings will be used until you change them. If you want to know more about these codes and variations of them, click Help in GSAK and look for "Special Tags".

When you send caches to the GPS from GSAK, they will be sent with a "name" that is limited to the number of characters. Long cache names get truncated, sometimes into gibberish. The comments will look something like "T R 2.5 2.0 Tree" for a Traditional type, Regular size, D=2.5, T=2.0, Hint=Tree.

You purchase GSAK. Then go to http://gsak.net/board/ and down to the master macro index and search they are all free.

Oh okay. Cool! So where do I go to edit the macros once I get GSAK and download the Master Macro Index??

You misunderstood. You go to the Master Macro Index on the website and look there. YOu don't download it. When you find it he instructions for download and install are obvious.