How do i delete a geocache?

MartijnZ

I dont know how to delete a geocache.

Since you don't own any caches that have been published, we can only guess at what you want to do.

Are you perhaps wanting to delete an unpublished cache?

Do you wish to delete a cache from your gps? If that's it, then you need to let the folks know what make and model of gps you're using.

B.

Maybe he wants to delete a geocache from his GPS unit.

If Garmin it can't be done. If Delorme it can be done.

So that means if I buy a Garmin and fill it up with geocaches and find them, I have to buy a new unit to download more caches? I don't think so....try again.

You can't delete a particular Geocache from the Garmin, you have to delete the whole GPX file. You can delete a particular user-created Waypoint.

So that means if I buy a Garmin and fill it up with geocaches and find them, I have to buy a new unit to download more caches? I don't think so....try again.

You can't delete a particular Geocache from the Garmin, you have to delete the whole GPX file. You can delete a particular user-created Waypoint.

There we go. This makes sense to me now.

Wrong again. If the cache has been loaded by itself, and not part of a PQ or other multiple cache output, it can be deleted. You just have to do it via a computer.

BTW.... if the Garmin unit is an older etrex Venture HC or other etrex units.... you can delete a single cache.

Lets not make any assumptions here about anything. All that does is lead to false information.

Hi,

If this is a Garmin Oregon 450:

When you have a geocache on your GPS and mark it found, it no longer shows under geocaches, but is under geocaches found.

You can not remove the geocaches found from the GPS directly, but you can hook the GPS up to your PC and delete the file. The file will be under the GarminOREGON(X:)\Garmin\GPX directory. The "X" will be the drive letter for your Garmin 450 GPS files. The file will look something like GC99K3G.GPX - you can find this number for the geocache you wish to delete on the geocaching.com site where the description of the cache was originally found. I have a detailed description of how to do this if you need it.

I'm fairly new to geocaching and to the GARMIN OREGON 450 and so I have been writing down my own personal notes on how to do things in plain english.

If anyone wants a copy of this "How To" document, please PM (personal message) me with your email address and I'll send a copy to you as an attachment. I'll need your personal email address since I don't know how to attach files to PM's here.

If you do request a copy, the only thing I would like in return is your help in letting me know of any suggestions or additions that may make the document better for others to use.

Best regards,

Wayne Miller

4evrCking (Forever Seeking)

Edited by 4evrCking

This makes about as much sense as the opening post. I would think that my Garmin would be full by now if I couldn't delete any caches from it.

Of course you can. I do it on my 60Cs all the time.

Wrong again. If the cache has been loaded by itself, and not part of a PQ or other multiple cache output, it can be deleted. You just have to do it via a computer.

BTW.... if the Garmin unit is an older etrex Venture HC or other etrex units.... you can delete a single cache.

Lets not make any assumptions here about anything. All that does is lead to false information.

Finally, a voice of reason. This is has been a very amusing, and amazing thread to read. Everyone jumped right in to answer when no one had any idea WHAT he wanted to delete a geocache from, then, when it was decided for him that he wanted to delete the cache from his GPS, everyone simply assumed that we all have the same GPS unit that they have, and load caches to it the same way that they do.

Wow, 3 days and no reply from the OP? Seriously, don't waste your time on threads like this, people.

This sort of thing seems to happen frequently on this forum. It starts when someone posts a vague, poorly-worded question. Other cachers bend over backwards trying to answer, sometimes writing really long replies. Naturally, the OP is never heard from again, either to clarify the original question or to thank people for their time. :rolleyes:

Finally, a voice of reason. This is has been a very amusing, and amazing thread to read. Everyone jumped right in to answer when no one had any idea WHAT he wanted to delete a geocache from, then, when it was decided for him that he wanted to delete the cache from his GPS, everyone simply assumed that we all have the same GPS unit that they have, and load caches to it the same way that they do.

Shoot, I wasn't even assuming that it was a GPS how-to question. When I read the opening post, I immediately thought the OP was talking about deleting a cache listing from the site! I don't know how many times I have answered that very question, so that's what I jumped to.

Since the OP has not been back to clarify, I guess it wasn't really that much of a problem or they found their answer elsewhere. I s'pose it's time to move along.

Wow, 3 days and no reply from the OP? Seriously, don't waste your time on threads like this, people.

This sort of thing seems to happen frequently on this forum. It starts when someone posts a vague, poorly-worded question. Other cachers bend over backwards trying to answer, sometimes writing really long replies. Naturally, the OP is never heard from again, either to clarify the original question or to thank people for their time. :rolleyes:

Yes, this is a really annoying trait. I would think that common courtesy would dictate a "Thanks, but I found my own answer" at the very least.

In a completely different forum, I recently found the answer to a question I had just by searching, and I posted a "Thanks to both" the person who asked it and the one who answered it.

This would make a fun thread in itself. :lol:

One I remember acted like the question had to be answered quickly, but as usual, the question wasn't clear and folks chimed in with whatever they thought he meant. :laughing:

Four Months later, never returned for clarification or thanks.

OK.

Next "How do I...?" question is going to be ignored, until the poster comes back and accuses everyone of being unhelpful!

:P

Just to clarify for the inevitable next time this question gets asked, it is entirely possible to delete one or many caches from late-model Garmins regardless if they are in individual GPX files or one big one. Can't do it on the device but Basecamp lets you do this when the device is connected to the computer. I do this all the time on an eTrex 30.