Adopting a Cache

Hunt

Can someone help. I need to know how to adopt a cache. there is an old one that i love that (its 11 years old!) and the owner was gonna let it go until i offered to adopt it. he does not know how to give it to me so i need some guidance.

Can someone help. I need to know how to adopt a cache. there is an old one that i love that (its 11 years old!) and the owner was gonna let it go until i offered to adopt it. he does not know how to give it to me so i need some guidance.

The Help Center is your friend...

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Help Center → Geocaching → Caches in General

3.3. Adopting or Transferring a Cache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

In some situations, a geocache is no longer able to be maintained by the owner. A geocache adoption can be processed using the Geocaching Adoption Service without intervention from Groundspeak.

Steps for transferring ownership of a geocache:

1. The current cache owner logs in and visits:

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

2. Enter the GC Code (GCXXXXX) and click 'Lookup.'

3. Enter the username of the new owner and click 'Go.'

4. Click on 'Send Adoption Request.'

5. The new cache owner will receive an email. They should log in to the site and follow the adoption instructions provided.

If the original geocache owner is inactive on our site and/or will not use the Geocaching Adoption Service, the interested new party must ask the original cache owner to give Groundspeak written permission. The owner should inform us at contact@geocaching.com from their Geocaching email account that this cache can be adopted to the new party with their permission. If the cache owner is unresponsive and the cache needs attention, you may write a Needs Maintenance log or a Needs Archived log to the cache page, as appropriate.

Groundspeak will not process a geocache transfer without written permission from the geocache owner. Individual geocaches are owned by the person(s) who physically placed the geocache and/or submitted the geocache listing to geocaching.com. Decisions about caches belonging to someone who is deceased need to be made by the cache owner's family since that cache is now part of the estate.

Grandfathered cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool on the website nor Groundspeak will be able to make the transfer for Virtual, Webcam or Locationless caches. Archived caches cannot be transferred, and rarely will archived caches be unarchived for the purpose of adoption.

B.