Really Strange Anomalies in the Backcountry?

Guest Firefishe

In New Mexico at Philmont Boy Scout Camp, there are many stories about strange sitings on Urraca(sp) Mesa. We stayed right below the mesa in camp and the staff shared some stories. And Ill share some with yall.

One night one of the old staff was camping out on the mesa (something not allowed but he was tired and exhausted, it was late and couldnt make it to camp) and he would wake up off and on in the night cause it was raining and then one time he woke up he saw a blue vertical line appear a few feet above the ground and then drop like a curtain and out came charging a group of Indians. I dont remember what the Indians did (I think they stared at him with freakish eyes and rode off, its been two yrs since I heard these stories some Im doing my best) but they didnt harm him. Nearly immediately the guy got up and ran down the trail (had a little light I believe) and ran down the trail to get back as fast as possible and ran straight into the barbed wire fence that surrounds the mesa to keep the burros on the Mesa. He never made it back to camp that night and the next day they found him tangled and bleeding in the fence sacred to death.

yes I know this sounds fake, its the least believable one though. these are more believable.

At the camp below the mesa there was a terrible storming coming into the mountains one night. It camp let while everyone was a sleep. there was heavy rain and strong winds. That morning there was minr damage and at the leaders meeting (parents/leaders of the boys treks) met for the normal morning meeting and they all where talking about the horrible weather that night and how they couldnt get to sleep bc of the ind and rain, all except one that is who said it didnt rain that night that htere was clear sky. he said he had his rainfly off and he said he saw the stars all night. Sure enough astounded the leaders and staff went over to the leaders campsite and it was dry as a bone. You could even see lines in the dirt and pinestraw where on one isde dry and the other wet. The staff never told us the campsite and many slept a little uneasy that night.

The last one was a tale of a boy who had gotten seperated from his expdetion on the mesa and was never seen again. This was 1940-1950 i believe maybe a few years later but back then they hiked in their scout uniforms. And there have been numerous sightings of a boy dressed in an old BSA uniform coming up to the last person in the line of the expidition asking have you seen my troop? and when the person would turn to tell their firends or get there map and info and turn around to talk to the boy he would be gone.

It is also said that the lowest point of the mesa is said to be haunted because a topo of the mesa shows a skull and the point is part of the skull. One day we hiked around the mesa (very small abt an hour trek) and we found this sopt, with map and GPS but it was also a giveaway. As we turned a wall of rock there was a giant spot of just barren land the shape of the portion on the topo. it wasnt just dirt and had not been burnt and was not black rock we didnt know what it was. We stepped into and we said we all felt strange like something was there and when we stepped out it was gone. We hurried away from this spot and got off the mesa ASAP.

Happy Hunting icon_smile.gif

-Amazingracer

If war protesters don't believe in violence what would they do if we punched them in the nose?

I was walking through an old wash today, east of the Phoenix area, and out in the desert. The walls were steep, in some areas straight up, as a river used to run through it many years ago. I got to a spot where the land wasn't so steep going up, and as I looked towards the top, I swear I saw an old Indian (Native American) standing up there, looking down at me. I took a few steps further, looked up again, and he was gone. Just disappeared. I must be going crazy.

OK, WBG (way before geocaching) I was living in Baton Rouge LA. We used to play near the river in the summer, and I was with my cousins, playing near the waters edge, and we saw a group of people gathered near the water, pulling something up. So being curious kids we boogied down to see what was going on. A baody of a man was at the waters edge, and a policeman was trying to enlist the help of some of the people standing around to pull the body out.

I had never seen a real dead person, and although it freaked me out a bit, my curiosity pulled me closer to see. The cop saw my cousins and I, and yelled at us to get away, that we didn't need to see it. After they had the body covered, he came over to us and asked us if it scared us to see a dead man, I said yea. He looked me in the eye, and said, "Son, you will never forget what you've seen here today.."

...And I never have..

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

About 15 years ago my family had a rental cabin in West VA, on the Cacapon River. It was part of a farm our family had owned for many years, and my cousins and I were always wandering all over the hills. We always joked about the bigfoot that lived on the mountain, and used to scare ourselves silly with monster tales.

One wintery day, after a few inches of snow had fallen, we drove in to visit it. Just about .30 miles from the cabin a large tree had fallen across the road and my father decided that we could walk in from there. As the 4 of us clambered through the fresh, unmarked snow to go around the log, my father noticed tracks on the other side. These were about size 22s, barefoot, very human looking tracks. Also very fresh as they hadn't been filled in by the blowing snow yet. They came down the mountain, walked along the downed tree, then across the field to the river. He measured them and took a bunch of photos, then packed us back into the car and we left the area. Never did figure out what they had come from, but I've got a few ideas. icon_smile.gif

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

How about a ghost story. I have no caching stories but this one is TRUE>

My daughter had reached the age to move from a crib to a real bed.

That night about 1 am she comes into our room and says there is a man looking at me. We take her back to her room , show her under the bed in the closet etc. Theres no one in the room .Go back to sleep!

The next night the same thing, night after night. Then it slows down to once every few days, then once a week then maybe once a month.

One day I asked her, do you still see that man and she says yes, he just looks at me then leaves.

Jump ahead 6 years. Better job another kid time to move to a bigger house, better neighborhood. The woman from down the street stops by and says " I see your moveing" is it because of the ghost?

Then she tells us she used to live in our house when she was a kid. The family before her that lived there, the father was killed. As a kid she saw the man come into her room and look at the bed as if he was checking on his kids.

Now I never knew that story and my 16 month old certainly never heard it.

A true story that still gives me chills.

And no I never saw this ghost. I wish I did though.

Alumni of Cache U !

quote:
Originally posted by themagician:

And no I never saw this ghost. I wish I did though.

Hehe.... you don't see this thought very often, but it's how I feel too. I'm a huge skeptic. I've read through the stories here (and even posted one a while back) and for all of them I think there is some rational explanation. But sometimes I wonder... so I guess I'd like to see this for myself. That was an eerie story about your daughter.

The last story I told was about when I lived in northern Minnesota by myself. I had a number of "odd" things happen in that area, but none were so out-of-the-ordinary as to make me think of anything paranormal.

Here's another strange thing that happened in that area.

In the middle of the night, a friend and I were out cruising around the gravel roads I lived on. There were hundreds of miles of gravel roads, and I was minorly familiar with most of them. We were only a couple miles from my house, had just turned onto a different road.. and I stopped (I can't exactly remember why... maybe to take a leak or something). Anyway, as we're sitting there in the truck, I'm looking at my headlights shining down the road--I noticed that the truck was rolling backwards very slowly (it was a stick). So I stepped on the brake. From the headlights, I can still see the road moving away from me; we're still rolling backwards, which was strange, since the road was flat. I step on the brake even harder. Now I'm glaring at the gravel directly in front of us to see if we're still moving backwards. It appears we still are. I have my foot jammed on the brake about as hard as I can, so I know we're not actually moving.

I asked my friend if he thinks we're rolling backwards, and he's just as weirded out as I am. He thought we were rolling backwards, too, but couldn't figure out why.

I drove off.. but we could never figure out why we experienced such an optical illusion.

Jamie

Given the skeptics out there, I wasn't sure if I should tell this story. At one job, I worked in a high security area. All of the doors were locked, and when opened they had a loud bezzing alarm. It's early evening, just me and a coworker. I turned around and in front of me was an old man. He turned walked away and disappeared. There was no way he could have been in there or gotten out of there unless he was a ghost. I found out later the facility was haunted by a well known and documented ghost.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

I asked my friend if he thinks we're rolling backwards, and he's just as weirded out as I am. He thought we were rolling backwards, too, but couldn't figure out why.

I drove off.. but we could never figure out why we experienced such an optical illusion.

Jamie

I've seen this several times while driving on gravel roads at night. We used to drive around the "loop" and stop for the same reason you probably stopped for. It's an illusion I can't explain, but is weird icon_smile.gif

SeventhSon

== If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you. ==

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

Was it dusty? I've seen that kind of thing happen on dirt/gravel roads when you stop pretty quickly and the dust kicked up bellows on past your car, I guess carried by the air disturbed by the recently moving car.

Whew, so I'm not a freak. It's hard to remember if it could have been the dust or not, but I'm glad to see that other folks have seen this same thing. Our thoughts were more along the lines that our eyes had adjusted to the road moving through the headlight tunnel, and now that we were stopped, our eyes kept moving the road, even though it really wasn't. Dust is a better explanation.

Jamie

"I asked my friend if he thinks we're rolling backwards, and he's just as weirded out as I am. He thought we were rolling backwards, too, but couldn't figure out why."

The "moving" gravel road you describe can be explained by the Coexistence of Unnatural Laws of Physics caused by Bud Light 6-pack influx. icon_razz.gif

I'm not particularly convinced that ghosts exist, but there are a few times I can recall that I cannot explain by any means. A few years ago, I was living in a second storey apartment near my present residence. One night, I was just falling asleep, when something so unnatural happened that I was gripped with a fear so intense and oppressive that I couldn't move, and lost control of my ability to speak. There I was, lying in my small bed, which was pushed into the corner of the room against two walls. Just as I was passing from a waking state into dreaming, I was jolted awake by someone crawling into bed with me. I felt the bed shake and the mattress was pushed down by a heavy weight next to me that almost caused my body to roll towards it. My breath was stolen, I was paralyzed with terror. After a few moments, I lept out of bed, and turned on the light. I slowly turned to look at the bed, not sure what to expect, and there was the depression made by that weight next to my own. I threw the sheets back, and it was gone. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well for the rest of that night. There was no history of the building being haunted, and no other strange happenings during the time I lived there.

eyes.GIF

"Searching with my good eye closed"

quote:
Originally posted by FullOn:

One thing I've never been able to figure out... If aliens are so technologically advanced that they can travel across the galaxy, defying every law of physics that we know of, how come they can't build a craft that doesn't have exterior illumination on it?

http://www.scgeocachers.org/

Well, in terms of "defying" the laws of physics, let's be sqaure on this: "who's" laws of physics? Ours or Theirs?

Existing physical laws are being twisted inside out by Chaos Theory and Quantum Mechanics. As for external illumination of a spacecraft, perhaps illumination is the last thing anyone visiting this rock would want, given our military's penchant for shooting at anything that doesn't have a radar transponder spewing forth aviation ident codes.

Another aspect of the whole space travel thing is what is space, really? certainly rocketry isn't going to get us there. Some type of curving of space/time will be necessary, I think, for the distances we need to travel in negligible time. Existence, itself, is even taking on the appearance of something more akin to a projected dream/state than anything else.

I don't stick to the old physical paradigms. There's just too much evidence to the contrary.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

---------------------------

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

I'm not particularly convinced that ghosts exist, but there are a few times I can recall that I cannot explain by any means. A few years ago, I was living in a second storey apartment near my present residence. One night, I was just falling asleep, when something so unnatural happened that I was gripped with a fear so intense and oppressive that I couldn't move, and lost control of my ability to speak. There I was, lying in my small bed, which was pushed into the corner of the room against two walls. Just as I was passing from a waking state into dreaming, I was jolted awake by someone crawling into bed with me. I felt the bed shake and the mattress was pushed down by a heavy weight next to me that almost caused my body to roll towards it. My breath was stolen, I was paralyzed with terror. After a few moments, I lept out of bed, and turned on the light. I slowly turned to look at the bed, not sure what to expect, and there was the depression made by that weight next to my own. I threw the sheets back, and it was gone. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well for the rest of that night. There was no history of the building being haunted, and no other strange happenings during the time I lived there.

http://angelfire.com/pro/bloen/images/eyes.GIF

Sounds like that something astral "followed" you back from your dream time. It's said the dream state is part of the astral or nearest spiritual (or finer-vibratory or frequency) plan to the earth.

Apparently, the spiritual dimensions are essentially thought-pools created by the entirety of the human-thought process. Considering what an EEG shows in brain acitivity, I can see this as being a plausible explanation, if not a hard-to-prove one.

Dreams are part of this thought-reality, it is said, and serve to allow the spiritual--or "non physical consciousness"--part of us to 'have a break' from the denser physical reality experienced while awake.

Perhaps the two-thirds awake, one-third asleep pattern has an explanation after all icon_wink.gif. I think so.

What may have happened to you is that something "followed you home"; the state between waking and dreaming has been called the 'hynogogic state' and sometimes we wake up while not fully out of the sleep state.

What you experienced could have been what astral travellers term an "entity," or discarnate consciousness, or 'person devoid of a physical human body.' Not all 'entities' are known to be bad or nasty, but some are drawn to strong personalities or perhaps a strong awareness.

This gets a bit long-haired, but that is about the gist of it. If you want to chat more about this, just post here or email me.

I hope this helps in some way.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

http://angelfire.com/pro/bloen/images/eyes.GIF

This kind of reminds me of something I saw on the discovery channel (or one of the others that is similar). The had a special on "night Terrors" which are dreams that happen inbetween the half awake, and half asleep period. Alot of the people explained how they would see stick figures moving about the room and there inhability to move or scream, they also report that a old woman (or witch) would come to there bed and sit on there chest and laugh. It was pretty creepy how alot of the people would explain the same thing. Of cource not every one sees the same type of thing.

The show said that no one is exaclty sure why this happens (but they gave a possible answer), but I think medication can help. I whatched this show a few years ago, so my memory on it may be a little off.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Ha! No, I don't think I need medication for an isolated incedent that happened several years ago. I was fully awake when I turned on the light and saw the depression left by the myserious weight. But there have been other inexplicable happenings...

Once when I was a teenager I had become interested in the occcult. This led me to read many books, some fiction, others more questionable. I was alone in my room at my parent's house discussing one of the books on the telephone with a friend who also had read it. He was convinced it was just the product of an imaginative author, and had no real base in reality. The very instant that I verbalised my agreement with him, the light went out in my room! I was shaken, to say the least. I got up, toggled the switch several times to no avail, and then told my friend on the phone "Maybe there is something to this after all." The light immediatly came back on as I uttered the last word. Again I actuated the switch, and the light turned on and off with no problem. I went so far as to check the bulb in the fixture and it was tight with no damage to the filament. After a few more minutes discussing the odd occurrence, my friend managed to get me to see reason, and once again I professed my disbelief. And again the light went off! It only came onagain after I hung up the phone and begged forgiveness of the being we had been discussing, which seemed to be satisfied that I believe and left it at that. When I had gained enough composure, I went downstairs to ask my father if he had noticed any power outages, and he assured me that there was no interruption elsewhere in the house.

I still have my doubts, but the experience was enough to leave my mind open to the possibility that something was listening that night.

So, be careful what you read, and be careful what you say. You never know what's listening...

eyes.GIF

It sounds to me that you have a very intuitive Mind that needs to be developed. Might I suggest that you expound upon what you've *experienced directly* and ignore what others--like your friend--say to you.

We know what we know to be true. There is no overwhelming reason why we should allow others to keep us at the level of mediocrity the rest of the world is mired in.

Learn By Doing

Learn By Observing

Know By Direct Experience

Warm regards,

Firefishe

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

quote:
Originally posted by Search1128:

That story about the indians coming through the blue light and the boy scouts story sound like a deriviative of a novel I read many years ago by Louis L'Amour, called Haunted Mesa. It is a good book. Read it some time.

I have. And I really think Zipacna should've been Winchestered while they had the chance. Just so much evil self-agrandizement needs the occasional lever-action to curb the tide.

And what about the old prospecter *not reacting at all* when the helicopter landed? I think Haunted Mesa was a good read, but somewhat full of holes...like Zipacna should've had from the beginning icon_wink.gif.

Warm regards,

LouisL'Amour Fishe

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

quote:
Well, in terms of "defying" the laws of physics, let's be sqaure on this: "who's" laws of physics? Ours or Theirs?

With out getting into a debate over it… There is still, as far as we know, only one set of laws of physics. Despite the advances being made in Quantum Physics, nothing we have discovered has over turned any of the basic laws such as "conservation of energy" and the "general theory of relativity." Some minor changes have been made, especially to Einstein's theory of relativity in unique situations such as the behavior of elementary particles in a plasma state, but overall the laws still stand. You can't go faster than light and in order to bend the universe to warp somewhere you have to generate the equivalent energy of the output of an entire galaxy all at once.

This is not say in anyway that someone, somewhere, hasn't figured out how to do it. I do, in fact, believe that there is intellegent life elsewhere in the universe (insert joke here icon_smile.gif). My question was simply (and in jest obviously), if they're so friggin smart, why do they build ufo's that can be seen by everyone down here, but never land or make contact? They don't sound so smart afterall. I forget who is was, but some comedian said he thinks that ufo's are alien teenagers out for a joyride! icon_smile.gif

sigavatar.gif

.I remember watching a program "Nova" on PBS about physics, and this one expreiment comes to mind. A light is projected through two parallel slits in a card and falls upon a screen. The image produced on the screen consists of light and dark bands. The bands are formed when photons from the two slits collide and strike the screen. I think this is referred to as an interferance pattern. The thing that gives me chills is that the same pattern occurs when there is only one slit in the card. The photons exiting the single slit are belived to be colliding with photons in another universe. Chew on that for a while!

Here's a not so simple explanation.

eyes.GIF

Hi Gargoyle. I've actually seen the Weird NJ page. It's quite intriguing. I'll be sure to visit it again this week to see if anything new and weird is happening there, as I haven't visited the site in a while.

Thanks for your reply,

Warm regards,

--Firefishe

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

Okay, my story.

Growing up, we had some very close family friends next door. It was like I had two fathers, two families. We went on vacations together, cooked out together, even our little lake houses were next door to each other. I didn't even know we weren't related until I was 8 or 9. You get the picture -- we were very close. He had owls everywhere -- paintings, figurines, etc., that people had given him over the years. They were "his" animal he loved, just like mine are frogs.

Five years ago or so, about the same time we bought our first house, Herbert (my "2nd father") started getting fluid in his lungs (I forget the medical term) and got sick, and quickly. Asbestos in his lungs from his Navy days, 40 years before. I had always wanted them to come down for a cookout, to see our house, even before he got sick. After that, it was one doctor appointment after the other. There was never enough time after that -- doctor appt., didn't feel well after treatment, etc. The cookout never happened, and he went downhill frighteningly quickly. He died in February.

The night after his funeral, I was leaning on the doorjamb at the back porch, drinking a "beverage" and I heard something scrape on the gutter just above my head. "Whoooo... who whoooo....."

It was an owl, and one unlike I had heard in the area before. He sat on the gutter, hooting loudly for a few minutes, then muttering softer, and louder again, and then flew away. That's when it hit me -- he had finally come to see our house after all.

Thanks, old man -- you're missed every day. And I'll never forget the day you came to visit.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

Okay, my story.

<snip beginning for brevity>

It was an owl, and one unlike I had heard in the area before. He sat on the gutter, hooting loudly for a few minutes, then muttering softer, and louder again, and then flew away. That's when it hit me -- he had finally come to see our house after all.

Thanks, old man -- you're missed every day. And I'll never forget the day you came to visit.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Thanks, Joe. "Herbert The Owl" touched my heart. Also good to know you can sense the truth of things.

Love and Light

Stephen Brown (Firefishe)

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

Okay, my story.

Growing up, we had some very close family friends next door. It was like I had two fathers, two families. We went on vacations together, cooked out together, even our little lake houses were next door to each other. I didn't even know we weren't related until I was 8 or 9. You get the picture -- we were very close. He had owls everywhere -- paintings, figurines, etc., that people had given him over the years. They were "his" animal he loved, just like mine are frogs.

Five years ago or so, about the same time we bought our first house, Herbert (my "2nd father") started getting fluid in his lungs (I forget the medical term) and got sick, and quickly. Asbestos in his lungs from his Navy days, 40 years before. I had always wanted them to come down for a cookout, to see our house, even before he got sick. After that, it was one doctor appointment after the other. There was never enough time after that -- doctor appt., didn't feel well after treatment, etc. The cookout never happened, and he went downhill frighteningly quickly. He died in February.

The night after his funeral, I was leaning on the doorjamb at the back porch, drinking a "beverage" and I heard something scrape on the gutter just above my head. "Whoooo... who whoooo....."

Joel (joefrog)

in many cultures the owl is the messenger of death, it lets you know someone has/will pass on.

-Jared

quote:
Originally posted by Amazingracer:

In New Mexico at Philmont Boy Scout Camp, there are many stories about strange sitings on Urraca(sp) Mesa. We stayed right below the mesa in camp and the staff shared some stories. And Ill share some with yall.

Happy Hunting icon_smile.gif

-Amazingracer

If war protesters don't believe in violence what would they do if we punched them in the nose?

We camped there too (I think...it was back in '92 so I don't remember off hand). Anyhow, here's a pic of the topo map. For everyone...if you look where it says "Urraca Mesa" the "URR" is inside the "skull". It's a profile, and the "urr" is down towards the bottom of the jaw.

rayadomap.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

quote:
Originally posted by Coupar-Angus:

I lost two deep woods caches last year. I'm convinced it was aliens or bigfoot - or perhaps Geraldo Rivera on location. icon_biggrin.gif

Or perhaps the Wendigo? icon_biggrin.gif

...Caching In on the Journey

{--Firefishe--}

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

Creepiest thing ever happened to me in the woods was a Bigfoot sighting.

This was back in the late 70's. I grew up in southwestern Oregon and used to go prospecting with my dad nearly every weekend.

On one such outing, about 35 miles out of Powers, Oregon my dad was checking out a dried creek bed with my brother.

I wandered about a half mile down the creekbed while they were taking some samples. I heard this blood curdling scream/howl from a stand of alders about 100 yards away. A very large, hairy thing was standing there screaming/howling at me. Needless to say I ran back up that streambed faster than I ever have before.

My dad and brother returned with me when I told them what I saw and heard. No sign of the creature was among the trees, but the next morning my brother found a bigfoot track a quarter mile from the spot I had seen the creature the day before.

Sounds nuts, but bigfoot is the only explination I have for what I saw that day.

What is worse is that I was listening to Art Bell on the way home from work a couple years ago when his guest played a howl that supposedly came from a Bigfoot. I nearly ran off the road cause that sound was the same one I had heard 20 years earlier.

Like I said, sounds nuts but it happened.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

Creepiest thing ever happened to me in the woods was a Bigfoot sighting.

<snip remainder for brevity>

!

This one chilled me to the bone, as it also seems to have done to you. The mental imagery I received while reading your post just jumped out at me: a tall, hairy thing, standing amidst trees, screaming a bloodcurdling wail!

I'm only aware of one bigfoot story in Michigan, my home state. It was told to me by a gentleman who was driving home with two of his buddies from a deer hunt one October or November; I don't remember the exact month, as it's been ages since the story was told to me.

He had been driving his full-size chevy king cab (the kind with the 1/2 size bench seat in the back) down a well-known road near the village of Frederic, Michigan. This road is a very rural county route, and goes west, more or less straight, from I-75, which, itself, goes right up the center of the northern lower peninsula of Michigan.

They had been driving for a while, taking in the scenery, looking for deer, bear, or whatever else they might see, as well as resting from the long day.

Theire evening drive home became a little bit more interesting when the guy in the front passenger seat looked out his window, up to a house that was set up and back a bit from the roadway on a small hill or knoll.

The passenger's first impression was that he was looking at a bear, for there was <evidently>, a bear-like thing standing on it's hind legs, batting at the suet in a bird feeder, just like a bear might do.

Well, as it was told to me, he stopped on the road and looked over to where his friend was pointing, looked, did a double-take, and looked again!

His passengers were thrown to the right side of the cab as the driver did a 180 degree turn and headed back the way they came. He was <probably> doing 80 before his friends got him to calm down a bit, slow down, and questioned him.

They asked him what was up, and asked why he was afraid of a bear? He just looked at them incredulously and stated something to the effect of: Bear? What bear? That thing had to have been 10 to 12 feet tall and was *standing upright*! He also told me that it was covered with yellowish hair, something not normally found on Michigan Black Bears.

Interesting, eh? I, myself, have never seen the elusive Michigan Bigfoot, but some certainly say they have.

I tend to believe them. icon_cool.gif

Warm regards,

...Caching In on the Journey

{--Firefishe--}

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

Hah... As I have run out of office work for the day, for the last hour, I've been sitting here, completely absorbed in this thread. Just a second ago, I hit the down arrow on my keyboard, and for some reason, my computer tripped and made a very loud, low-pitched beep at me, startling me so badly that I nearly jumped out of my chair. I think my officemate is convinced that I'm completely crazy now... icon_biggrin.gif

I don't believe in all this bigfoot/ghost foolishness, but I have seen interesting things out in the woods. In the pacific northwest, I once saw a gigantic 3story treehouse once, an abandoned cemetery at least 100 years old, and the remains of old log cabins and shacks. A few times I've come across old cars and such left for years unknown.

This has nothing to do with geocaching, but something that happens to me at least once every 2-3 days or so. Sometimes, it happens to me more than once a day, and once it happened FOUR TIMES IN ONE DAY.

I don't get a lot of phone calls at work, always less than 10, usually about 4-5. Well, what will happen is that I'll get up to go to the bathroom (I'll be in there about 90 seconds/2 minutes), and while in the bathroom my phone will ring. There are one or two people in my work area who think this is HILARIOUS, but I can tell they're weirded out by it as well.

Whoever gave me this psychic gift forgot the "comprehensive" package; I could make a living! No, instead I got the basic, "phone rings in bathroom" package, which is a giant annoyance. Think about it! I've actually had people ask me why I never seem to be in my office (usually my wife). The truth is I'm a computer programmer, and NEVER leave my office.. except to go to the bathroom.

If anyone can explain this to me, that would be GREAT. icon_smile.gif

This has nothing at all to do with geocaching but it is definitely a strange story, but as strange as it may sound, it is a true story. My wife and I will swear to it in front of any judge on this planet.

We live in a doublewide mobile home that we purchased new and sits on a spot that has never had house of any kind, and is at least 1000 feet from where any house is or has ever been to the best of my knowledge. In light of this you would not think that our house would be a likely location for a haunting. However my wife and I have on occasion seen several rather strange occurrences there, the most startling of which I will relate here.

This event took place one night several years ago after my wife and I had retired for the night.

Normally at night my wife and I leave a light on all night in the bathroom farthest from our bedroom because there are usually children in the house, and that bathroom is just outside their bedrooms providing them with a nightlight. However on that night there was no one in the house except my wife and I, but we had left the light on out of habit and it cast a glow through our open bedroom door weakly lighting the room.

Some time had passed after we had lain down I was unable to sleep. I assumed though my wife was asleep because her breathing had become regular and reached a point at which it sounded like she was asleep.

While lying there unable to sleep, I began to become aware of a presence that I could not explain other than to say I knew we were not alone I was laying there trying to convince my self that it was only my imagination when suddenly and silently a figure moved in through our bedroom door and proceeded parallel to our bed in a smooth gliding motion. Then rounding the corner of our bed took up a fixed position at the foot of our bed. I was acutely aware that this entity was conscious of us and was intently watching us as we lay there as I was watching it. The entity can best be described as a something that had the appearance of black smoke or a shadow, however it was more material that either of these but less material than a real person.

The strangest thing about this whole situation was my complete lack of fear. Although I was acutely aware of this being and the fact it was not of this Earth, as we perceive it, it did not seem to arouse any fear response in me. I would say it aroused a feeling that would fit somewhere between creepy and curiosity especially considering the fact that I am sure it was aware of me as I was of it.

After some time I had almost convinced myself that I was imaging it but then noticed that my wife was no longer breathing like she was asleep but was breathing almost silently. I the said "Honey you awake? " to which she answered "Yes." Then I said "do you see anything?"

I was expecting her reply to be "what do you mean?" but instead, much to my surprise she said "You mean that thing standing at the foot of the bed?" When she said this I did finally become somewhat "nervous". We lay there for about 10 minuets silently saying prayers and then it was gone.

It didn’t just disappear, it over a period of about 20 seconds became less solid and our perception of it's presence became weaker until it just wasn’t there any more. Then it was if it had never been there.

Nothing like this has ever happened since and the only evidence that it ever did are our memories of it.

Mark me down as a hard core skeptic.

I once stayed 5 nights in a "haunted" B&B. Never saw or heard a thing. Spent a weekend camping at "haunted" campground near a supposed old indian burial ground. Slept great. Ate dinner at a place that was supposed to have active poltergeists. Had a great meal. Toured a "haunted" church. It had nice stained glass and marble. I've even camped in the Pacific Northwest on a couple of occcasions. Not a single bigfoot around.

Heck, even my ouija board spells gibberish. Now the magic 8-ball, there's something to believe in. icon_wink.gif

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

There was a time at night, out on the central western Arizona border, when I was star gazing and saw a light moving slowly, way up high, across the sky. Then it became bright for a second, like a headlight sweeping across me. (Scanned?) The light then went quickly UP and INTO THE SKY, not ACROSS it, but UP, and disappeared. Both absolutely true stories, and I will swear to them both until the day I die.

I shouldn't even be reading this thread, since I am such as skeptic. I always thought that it was really funny how many UFO sightings take place so near Air Force and Navy bases. Gulf Breeze, Florida is such a place. Hundreds of UFO sightings, 10 miles from the Pensacola Naval Air Station.

A few years ago, we saw the exact thing you just described while driving near there and it was weird as hell, but I know what it was. It was during the daytime and it was pretty foggy/hazy. We saw a light, high in the sky, moving perpendicular to our car. It then "stopped", shot out a beam of light, then disappeared straight upward at high speed.

What it was was a jet, high up. In the haze, its lights projecting in front of it. As it made a 90 degree turn, the lights flashed toward us, then it went overhead toward us. With the haze and the low cloud cover, you couldn't tell it was moving toward you, it really appears to go go straight up after "stopping" during the turn. It dissappeared into a cloud before passing over the car, making the illusion complete.

It had my heart pounding for a few minutes until I realized what it was.

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

During a business trip to Vegas some years ago, a coworker and I decided that it might be interesting to do some hiking around Area51. This was about a week or two prior to the release of ID4 so it seemed like a fitting thing to do.

Anyway, we did our research, packed our water, and headed out towards Rachel, NV. The drive out there will definately put you in the proper frame of mind. I haven't spent much time on desolate roads so this was a new experience for me ... driving along these long, straight, and dusty roads and you quickly loose sense of time and direction. Anyway, some time before Rachel we came upon a convenience stop. We topped off the gas tank and went inside for a look around. Immediately the "old man" behind the counter recognized us as being a little off our normal beat and started asking us a lot of questions, all with inferences as to our ultimate goal. We mentioned we were going to do some hiking and sight seeing and he winked and suggested that we avoid the black mailbox and head up a mountain peak instead, but warned of the long hike and the 100 degree temps. I still can't put a finger to it but there was something unnatural about the way this man interacted with us. I am not suggesting unhuman, just that he seemed a little out of place. We thanked him and went on our way, towards Rachel and the black mailbox.

Rachel is an experience unto itself and I won't go into terrible detail other than to say we ejoyed breakfast at the Little A'Le'Inn, serviced by a nice woman with big orange hair and nicely complementing green teeth. After poking around the typical tourist paraphanalia we were warned about trying to go out to view "that place". We were told about the white ford broncos that are on patrol and the shoot trespassers on sight policy. Again we found ourselves politely expressing our thanks as we backed out the door ... and proceeded for the black mailbox.

Eventually we reached the black mailbox, ingored all warnings and proceed down the dusty trail towards the main gate for Area51. When we reached the gate we parked the car near the signs prohibiting photography and warning of authorized use of deadly force. We then began our hike along the area perimter (which is nicely marked for those wishing to acknowledge the deadly force demarcation) looking for a particular vantage point which affords views of the base. As we hiked we noticed quite a bit of survailence gear mounted on poles along the permiter ... and not suprisingly the cameras (which appeared to be on motorized swivel mounts) were closely follow us. That's when we noticed a rise that seemed to be fairly out of view of any of the surveilance poles. So, we headed around the rise to further obscure our location and then began our ascent.

Nearing the top of the rise we stopped for a rest. I sat facing down slop while my buddy was crouched just below me. Suddenly he said "don't move, there are a couple of cammos behind you". Naturally I didn't beleive him so I quickly stood up and turned around ... and there they were, laying on another knoll with binoculars trained on where we had been, but not even close to where we now were ... it was clear that they had lost us and hadn't a clue as to where we were.

We sat there for about 5 minutes contemplating what we should do. Should we wait them out? Should we run for it? We remembered that we hadn't really told anybody where we were going and now we were in the middle of the desert in a place that didn't exist and where they could real easily just shoot us and nobody would be the wiser. Eventually I figured "screw it" and decided to just walk right over to them ... my heart was racing! I was suprized they didn't hear me approach but I walked a good 30 yards without them flinching and then called out "Hey, are you guys looking for us?" I'm not sure what I was expecting but what they then did suprised me ... they jumped up (I noticed they had absolutely no obvious identifying marks on thier uniforms) and high tailed it ... *they* ran from *us*! The dissappeared over the knoll and a minute or so later we saw the dust being kicked up from thier truck.

We eventually headed back to our car and on back towards Vegas. That was about all the excitement we needed. Along the way back we stopped by the same convenience store we had stopped at previously. We were going to tell the "old man" about our trip. When we went in there was someone different behind the counter. We asked about the old man and the fellow replied "what old man?". He swore that there was no old man that ever worked there.

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=

quote:
Originally posted by Runaround:

Mark me down as a hard core skeptic.

I once stayed 5 nights in a "haunted" B&B. Never saw or heard a thing. Spent a weekend camping at "haunted" campground near a supposed old indian burial ground. Slept great. Ate dinner at a place that was supposed to have active poltergeists. Had a great meal. Toured a "haunted" church. It had nice stained glass and marble. I've even camped in the Pacific Northwest on a couple of occcasions. Not a single bigfoot around.

Heck, even my ouija board spells gibberish. Now the magic 8-ball, there's something to believe in. icon_wink.gif

Now where did I park my car??????? http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/monkes.gif

Hi Runaround, Firefishe here.

Good skeptical inquiry, keep it up and maintain an open mind.

Merely staying at places that have a history of "haunted" activity is, of course, no guarantee that you're going to experience anything, although staying there or being in a given area with a "history" is probably better than not.

There are so many different types of haunts and hauntings. Sometimes a location is known for its giving up of something that can't be seen with the naked eye on film; so for this type of location, take a standard 35mm (medium format if you want to get ultra sharp clarity and more picture frame),a polaroid, and a digital. Now digital can be altered quite easily, followed by 35mm and MF, ending with Polaroid as being the hardest to fake.

I remember watching one of those "haunted specials" one night on television: The location was Northern Wisconsin, and the subject was a polaroid photograph of a kind of whispy, whitish, anthropomorphic (human-like) object floating just above the water surface of a lake--the picture taken by a couple of canoeists.

Now one picture surely isn't worth a thousand words. But another picture--shared with the couple by another set of canoeists--that depicted the same thing? At a different time?

Polaroid pictures, both of them? This, to me, lends more credibility to these photographs, taken around an isle known as "Ghost Island."

Whether or not this was the "ghost" of Ghost Island remains to be seen, as I have not looked into the history of this particular occurrence, and as the program happened a few years ago, I'll have to look it up--which I will now do, and post another thread in a few weeks' time. If I can find the story, it should prove at least to be interesting.

Now, on being skeptical: This is a good thing! icon_biggrin.gif

If you're serious about capturing images on film or observing the phenomena for yourself, there is a lot of research and preparation (but don't be overly obvious about it) that you can do to prepare yourself for an "experience."

Some "activity" occurs only during certain times of the year--excellent if you suspect something that is being observed and considered "supernatural" is really being caused by swamp gas or other catalogued, natural phenomena. However, sometimes this doesn't prove to be related. The following link is one example, the light shines all year:

http://www.backwoodswisconsin.com/paulding_light.htm

Fascinating and right in my own backyard. Well, about 4 hours away, but still close enough to make it worth the trip! icon_biggrin.gif

Take care for now, keep up the interest, and always Question Question Question! Remember, though, that when you're questioning, you may be missing the opportunity to truly "experience" what is occurring. The soul has it's own mechanisms of feeling, and sometimes when we try to pry things apart with the methodical methods of science (and there isn't anything wrong with these methods, mostly), we often (though some can work with both active at once) shut off a part of ourselves that we may need to use to experience and foster the "sense of wonder" that interested us in all this stuff in the first place.

Just something to think about.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

Caching In on the Journey

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

quote:
Originally posted by GPS_Brian:

During a business trip to Vegas some years ago, a coworker and I decided that it might be interesting to do some hiking around Area51. This was about a week or two prior to the release of ID4 so it seemed like a fitting thing to do.

Anyway, we did our research, packed our water, and headed out towards Rachel, NV. The drive out there will definately put you in the proper frame of mind. I haven't spent much time on desolate roads so this was a new experience for me ... driving along these long, straight, and dusty roads and you quickly loose sense of time and direction. Anyway, some time before Rachel we came upon a convenience stop. We topped off the gas tank and went inside for a look around. Immediately the "old man" behind the counter recognized us as being a little off our normal beat and started asking us a lot of questions, all with inferences as to our ultimate goal. We mentioned we were going to do some hiking and sight seeing and he winked and suggested that we avoid the black mailbox and head up a mountain peak instead, but warned of the long hike and the 100 degree temps. I still can't put a finger to it but there was something unnatural about the way this man interacted with us. I am not suggesting unhuman, just that he seemed a little out of place. We thanked him and went on our way, towards Rachel and the black mailbox.

Rachel is an experience unto itself and I won't go into terrible detail other than to say we ejoyed breakfast at the Little A'Le'Inn, serviced by a nice woman with big orange hair and nicely complementing green teeth. After poking around the typical tourist paraphanalia we were warned about trying to go out to view "that place". We were told about the white ford broncos that are on patrol and the shoot trespassers on sight policy. Again we found ourselves politely expressing our thanks as we backed out the door ... and proceeded for the black mailbox.

Eventually we reached the black mailbox, ingored all warnings and proceed down the dusty trail towards the main gate for Area51. When we reached the gate we parked the car near the signs prohibiting photography and warning of authorized use of deadly force. We then began our hike along the area perimter (which is nicely marked for those wishing to acknowledge the deadly force demarcation) looking for a particular vantage point which affords views of the base. As we hiked we noticed quite a bit of survailence gear mounted on poles along the permiter ... and not suprisingly the cameras (which appeared to be on motorized swivel mounts) were closely follow us. That's when we noticed a rise that seemed to be fairly out of view of any of the surveilance poles. So, we headed around the rise to further obscure our location and then began our ascent.

Nearing the top of the rise we stopped for a rest. I sat facing down slop while my buddy was crouched just below me. Suddenly he said "don't move, there are a couple of cammos behind you". Naturally I didn't beleive him so I quickly stood up and turned around ... and there they were, laying on another knoll with binoculars trained on where we had been, but not even close to where we now were ... it was clear that they had lost us and hadn't a clue as to where we were.

We sat there for about 5 minutes contemplating what we should do. Should we wait them out? Should we run for it? We remembered that we hadn't really told anybody where we were going and now we were in the middle of the desert in a place that didn't exist and where they could real easily just shoot us and nobody would be the wiser. Eventually I figured "screw it" and decided to just walk right over to them ... my heart was racing! I was suprized they didn't hear me approach but I walked a good 30 yards without them flinching and then called out "Hey, are you guys looking for us?" I'm not sure what I was expecting but what they then did suprised me ... they jumped up (I noticed they had absolutely no obvious identifying marks on thier uniforms) and high tailed it ... *they* ran from *us*! The dissappeared over the knoll and a minute or so later we saw the dust being kicked up from thier truck.

We eventually headed back to our car and on back towards Vegas. That was about all the excitement we needed. Along the way back we stopped by the same convenience store we had stopped at previously. We were going to tell the "old man" about our trip. When we went in there was someone different behind the counter. We asked about the old man and the fellow replied "what old man?". He swore that there was no old man that ever worked there.

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=

This one gives me the chills. I wonder if the "cammos" were weren't another group of, umm, "observers" out doing the same thing that you were. icon_wink.gif I betcha they were.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

quote:
Originally posted by GPS_Brian:

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=

This one gives me the chills. I wonder if the "cammos" were weren't another group of, umm, "observers" out doing the same thing that you were. icon_wink.gif I betcha they were.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.