Really Strange Anomalies in the Backcountry?

Guest Firefishe

Guest Firefishe

Greetings, everyone! cool.gif

Firefishe, outta Michigan.

This thread is being posted in the hopes that I might be able to get one or two actual accounts of people using their GPS and/or Geocaching in the backcountry (we're talking about deep forests, remote mountains, and the like here, folks!) and coming across something just so out-of-the-ordinary, so non-sequitur (out of place or position) that it left an indelible impression upon their mind.

Let me define what I'm looking for by giving a few examples:

-Unusual readings on the GPS, perhaps "blips" that came on the screen then went off, followed by "weird noises" in the sky, etc. (I have no actual experience in this area, it just popped into my mind)

-Unusual flora and fauna, such as weird or unusual plant growth, strange trees that seem to be out of place, etc.

-Noises that seem "just too weird to be either animal or human" coming out of the mouths of caves, hollows, logs, etc.

-Strange weather patterns focused on a tightly-focused (small) area while the surrounding area is unaffected, such as a cloud raining in a 10 foot diameter circle, or something like that.

-Encountering strange people that seem out of place, that you possibly interacted with, then went back with someone, and they weren't there and the entire scenery had changed.

This should probably be enough to get this thread started.

I look forward to hearing of your accounts, if any.

Again, I'm not reselling these stories to anyone for any reason. Any and all stories posted here shall not be reposted by me, except excerpts in responses to posts, and then on this topic only, to keep things even.

I leave you with,

Warm regards,

Firefishe

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Guest oregone

I'm not sure if this counts or not (and i'm sorry i don't know how to hotlink yet), but check out the post from a few days ago on my 'mcdowell creek' cache. it seems there was an interesting photo-shoot out there the other day.

Guest Firefishe

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

I'm not sure if this counts or not (and i'm sorry i don't know how to hotlink yet), but check out the post from a few days ago on my 'mcdowell creek' cache. it seems there was an interesting photo-shoot out there the other day.

Secluded forest area, pretty and sensual model, photographers... Naww..not all that unusual cool.gif

Warm regards,

Firefishe

P.S. I lived in Grant's Pass from December of 2000 to May of 2001.

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Guest EraSeek

Well I've found someone's cremated remains in a wood box on a mountain top while caching, but it sounds like you're more after Art Bell stuff.

Other then that, I've seen the most amazing display of Northern lights, a total eclipse of the sun (both big time cool!) and had a vision of a Mayan Mountain priest, been engulfed in a series of small tornados dancing on a mountain ridge top (they were forming snow in them from the two updrafts) but none of this while caching.

2573_200.jpg

Guest Firefishe

Sounds beautiful and mysterious, though, too! icon_smile.gif The vision of the Mayan Priest must've been interesting.

Warm regads,

Firefishe

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Guest Firefishe

Sounds beautiful and mysterious, though, too! icon_smile.gif The vision of the Mayan Priest must've been interesting.

Warm regads,

Firefishe

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Guest Tiger

at night at one of the backpacking camp sites. The Lake Hope Lodge has trail information. Have Fun if you go.

Goood Luuuuuck!

N39.32032 W82.34234

Guest EraSeek

The Abominable Snowman

by Ogden Nash

I?ve never seen an abominable snowman,

I?m hoping not to see one,

I?m also hoping, if I do,

That it will be a wee one

2573_200.jpg

Guest Firefishe

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

The Abominable Snowman

by Ogden Nash

I?ve never seen an abominable snowman,

I?m hoping not to see one,

I?m also hoping, if I do,

That it will be a wee one

2573_200.jpg

A Hearty Meal for An Abominable Snowman

(Apologies in Advance tongue.gif LOL)

--

A Yeti and a Sasquatch

Both cousins of the same.

Sat down to a meal,

Of a Geocacher, famed!

What was their hearty meal?

Gads! It filled a wheelbarrow.

For to a Yeti and a Sasquatch,

There's nothing fit or finer,

Than a hot steamin' bowl of,

Ogden Nash'd Potatoes!

--

Brought to you by the Society of Monsters for Universal Munchies (SMUG).

Warm (and tasty) regards,

Firefishe tongue.gif

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Guest JamieZ

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I had a similar experience.

(I must state now that I completely do not believe in anything paranormal)

About six years ago in the middle of winter, when I lived in northern Minnesota, I went out into my screened in porch to check on my dog. I heard footsteps outside the screen door of the porch. I couldn't see outside because of the darkness, but could clearly hear something (that sounded heavy) walking toward the door. I froze, staring at the door. The steps were very slow in my recollection, and coming closer. I decided I'd better check it out, so I stepped toward the door myself (still not able to see out) the steps outside stopped, and then so did I. My dog didn't do anything unusual this entire time. I stood stationery for a short time, then from outside the door I heard a very loud "yell." It was a shrill screaming sound, and sounded very much like a man shrieking in a high pitched voice. I scrambled into the house, scared out of my wits. The next day I checked outside, but saw no discernable prints anywhere. I came to the conclusion that it had been some sort of animal, although I can imagine what. Would a screech owl walk along the ground? Maybe a wolf? I really don't know, but I wish I did.

Jamie

Guest Firefishe

quote:
Originally posted by JamieZ:

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I had a similar experience.

(I must state now that I completely do not believe in anything paranormal)

About six years ago in the middle of winter, when I lived in northern Minnesota, I went out into my screened in porch to check on my dog. I heard footsteps outside the screen door of the porch. I couldn't see outside because of the darkness, but could clearly hear something (that sounded heavy) walking toward the door. I froze, staring at the door. The steps were very slow in my recollection, and coming closer. I decided I'd better check it out, so I stepped toward the door myself (still not able to see out) the steps outside stopped, and then so did I. My dog didn't do anything unusual this entire time. I stood stationery for a short time, then from outside the door I heard a very loud "yell." It was a shrill screaming sound, and sounded very much like a man shrieking in a high pitched voice. I scrambled into the house, scared out of my wits. The next day I checked outside, but saw no discernable prints anywhere. I came to the conclusion that it had been some sort of animal, although I can imagine what. Would a screech owl walk along the ground? Maybe a wolf? I really don't know, but I wish I did.

Jamie

Hmmm. A screech owl might have accounted for the "yell," but as to the possibility of a wolf, I have not heard a wolf "screech," only howling in the usual manner.

No tracks, you say? Was it snowing at all, covering up the tracks by daylight? If you "...could clearly hear something (that sounded heavy) walking..." toward you, then I am want to go with first impressions--barring a visual description and lack of tracks in the snow.

The lack of tracks intrigues me, although that, except in the case of snow falling during the night and obliterating any obvious evidence of footprints-in-snow, I don't know how this could be. Maybe a heavy bird? I don't suppose you recall the sound of wings flapping, do you? This is, I've watched an owl take off from a tree limb at night; their wings are utterly silent.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

Guest DenaliNW

quote:
No tracks, you say? Was it snowing at all, covering up the tracks by daylight? If you "...could clearly hear something (that sounded heavy) walking..." toward you, then I am want to go with first impressions--barring a visual description and lack of tracks in the snow.

The lack of tracks intrigues me, although that, except in the case of snow falling during the night and obliterating any obvious evidence of footprints-in-snow, I don't know how this could be. Maybe a heavy bird? I don't suppose you recall the sound of wings flapping, do you? This is, I've watched an owl take off from a tree limb at night; their wings are utterly silent.

Fox, is that you?

Guest Firefishe

g..." toward you, then I am want to go with first impressions--barring a visual description and lack of tracks in the snow.

Fox, is that you?

Was this a reference to an animal-fox (light, not heavy in snow icon_wink.gif ), or to someone who's been Muldering around in the North Minnesota woods?

Sincerely,

P.T. "Barnum" ScullyFishe

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Guest Firefishe

g..." toward you, then I am want to go with first impressions--barring a visual description and lack of tracks in the snow.

Fox, is that you?

Was this a reference to an animal-fox (light, not heavy in snow icon_wink.gif ), or to someone who's been Muldering around in the North Minnesota woods?

Sincerely,

P.T. "Barnum" ScullyFishe

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Does you camera have a flash? Did the person taking the camera have long hair, or was there some tree branches in the way of the picture (spider web?). I have heard where people get the cameras rope in the picture and it shows up weird, I have also seen chain link fenches do a similar thing as the picture if it is taken at night with a flash.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Many years ago BG(Before Geocaching), I was out walking a heavily wooded set of trails with my little brother when I came around a bend and saw this body laid out facedown under a tree beside the path. I thought "Wow, possible dead body, lets go poke it with a stick!" , so I walked closer and then I saw what I took to be a medium sized Wolf chowing down on this body. It was pulling and tugging on the side that was facing away from me. I remember picking my little brother up and putting him over my shoulder in case I had to run or something, and slowly backing away. So the "Wolf" looks up and barks, it is actually a Siberian Husky, and the "body" looks up as well, it is some, I dunno, vagrant who just decided to take a walk into the woods and fall asleep/pass out under a tree.

He asked me for a smoke and/or spare change and I said "No that's OK" and backed out slowly the way I came.

Very Wierd. I have since placed a geocache up in there and I think about that incident everytime I go by there to check on it now.

On a cache called ''You are what you eat'', it is on the site of an old indian fortress on a river. As I was about to leave the trail to enter into the cache area, an indian looking fellow walks by going from south to north along the river. I say hi, he nods and continues north. I'm at the cache site for only around five minutes and head out and back south to my car. Shortly, I come across this same guy again walking north! I stop for a moment and think about it. I then turn around to look at him again and he was gone!

Another time while my wife and I were vacationing at a cabin in the woods, she tells me that she hears noises outside the cabin at night but doesn't wake me up. That night we both wake up to the sound outside of our window that goes, ''Thump, Drag'' like something is taking a heavy step and dragging a chain behind it. This is at around 2:30AM. This happened two or three nights. Did I get up to turn on the lights and investigate? No. It remains a mystery. There are bear in the area. I didn't want to come across an injured, angry bear.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Yup, a pile of teddy bears! And I'm talking about something between 300 and 500.

Mountain Gal and I were driving up a long road to the Bridger-Teton cache, GCD7E, north of Kemmerer Wyoming. The road follows a valley for about 30 miles. About halfway there is sudden bend in the road where it crosses a bridge, and there we saw a mound of wet, dejected, and pitiful teddy bears huddled in a 30 feet diameter pile. This location is N42° 06.089, W110° 40.056.

icon_eek.gif

Dyslexics Untie !!

Yup, a pile of teddy bears! And I'm talking about something between 300 and 500.

Mountain Gal and I were driving up a long road to the Bridger-Teton cache, GCD7E, north of Kemmerer Wyoming. The road follows a valley for about 30 miles. About halfway there is sudden bend in the road where it crosses a bridge, and there we saw a mound of wet, dejected, and pitiful teddy bears huddled in a 30 feet diameter pile. This location is N42° 06.089, W110° 40.056.

icon_eek.gif

Dyslexics Untie !!

quote:
Originally posted by Rushfan:

icon_eek.gif

Dyslexics Untie !!

--

Let us commemorate the pile of teddy's huddled together for comfort in their last moments. . .by huggin' the livin' stuffin' out of ours! icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

E Pluribus Ursus Cuddlius Unum

"One Teddy Bear Out of Many"

I leave you with,

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

quote:

icon_eek.gif

Dyslexics Untie !!

--

Let us commemorate the pile of teddy's huddled together for comfort in their last moments. . .by huggin' the livin' stuffin' out of ours! icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

E Pluribus Ursus Cuddlius Unum

"One Teddy Bear Out of Many"

I leave you with,

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

quote:

icon_eek.gif

Dyslexics Untie !!

Just out of curiosity, and thinking that maybe this was the result of a trucking accident involving the spill of a load of teddy bears, I did a Google search and came up with this site. I was spooked when I found out that, in 1902, 100 years ago, the teddy bear was first introduced after Teddy Roosevelt refused to shoot a bear. That SAME YEAR, J.C. Penny's opened its first store in Kemmerer! Coincidence? I think not! It's obviously some covert government operation or paranormal thing. icon_biggrin.gif

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

quote:

icon_eek.gif

Dyslexics Untie !!

Just out of curiosity, and thinking that maybe this was the result of a trucking accident involving the spill of a load of teddy bears, I did a Google search and came up with this site. I was spooked when I found out that, in 1902, 100 years ago, the teddy bear was first introduced after Teddy Roosevelt refused to shoot a bear. That SAME YEAR, J.C. Penny's opened its first store in Kemmerer! Coincidence? I think not! It's obviously some covert government operation or paranormal thing. icon_biggrin.gif

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

Greetin's All, Firefishe, outta Michigan again.

Nothing strange or unusual to post, just wanting to get this thread back to the top of the list to see if some life can be breathed back into it, after a month of silence.

I have nothing to post, as I have seen nothing unusual--I haven't been in the backcountry for quite a while now. I miss it :**) & need to get out!

I'm looking forward to reading more replies.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

It was a dark and stormy night. I wandered through the dense forest looking for high ground to get satellite reception. Up I went, higher and higher, above the clouds. As I reached the very peak of the mountain, I heard a strange whizzing sound that seemed to be growing louder. My Garmin V+ with the color display began to glow translucent red and then white. I dropped the unit to my feet as it burst into flames. I ducked just it time as GPS Satellite #12 streaked by over my head, missing me by inches. Then all of a sudden……………….

Oh, you wanted true stories?

icon_eek.gif

If your house catches afire, and there ain?t no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Here's an anomaly:

I posted in this thread way back in March, and just now went back and reread my post and the subsequent responses. Here's the weird part. I was certain that I had followed up on the responses, yet the thread clearly shows only one post from me, and none after that.

So I did a bit of research. In the original thread I posted two more times after my initial post, but in this thread here, those posts are gone!

Scary.

Jamie

Lets see. On a backpacking trip in the Catskills, we started hearing music off in the distance. This was at 2am and there was no road, or house for miles. Nor was there anybody camped nearby. I heard it first and thought I was hearing things, but then my friend also heard it.

On another backpacking trip, also in the Catskills, we heard what sounded something like the chugging of a train. The sound was real loud, echoing off the surrounding hills and went on all night. It seemed to be coming from the area of a lean-to a few hundered yards away from where we were camped. The next morning, we went over to investigate and several rabbits bolted from the lean-to. We noticed the floor of the lean-to was covered in rabbit "pellets", but the stranger thing was that there was a hole in the floor that was about 2 feet wide and 3 feet across. This was thick wood, not plywood, as these things are built to last many years. The wood had obvious gnaw marks on it. Our guess was that the rabbits spent that night (and obviously many others) gnawing away at the floor. It explains the sound we heard, but not why they were doing it.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

LGB (long before geocaching) I went camping with friends. One of us was a lady who kept us good and annoyed with her constant moaning and whining that she was going to be eaten by a grizzly bear on this trip, or something. There were no such animals in the area we were camping, but that logic didn't sway her very much from her one-note freak/complain song all day. She just wouldn't change the subject.

Night came, we all became cozy in our tents, and overreaction-lady was FINALLY pursuaded to go in her tent and GO TO SLEEP.

Just so happened her tent was in a bunch of gravel.

In the middle of the night, Nature called me, I answered, and on my way back, my foot hit that gravel... I stopped, and an evil thought hit my mind. icon_wink.gif

I started to proceed slowly near her tent. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch...

Then I stopped. ;-)

2 seconds later, I heard her panic...

...then I proceeded to close my throat, then inhale sharply to create an unearthly non-human-sounding scream.

Then I split. icon_razz.gif

She figured it out by morning... eventually...

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

we started hearing music ... [nobody] camped nearby. I heard it first and thought I was hearing things.

This happened on the Partridge family once, too. Laurie kept hearing strange music. Turns out her braces were picking up radio stations.

Jamie

quote:

we started hearing music ... [nobody] camped nearby. I heard it first and thought I was hearing things.

Jamie Responded:

This happened on the Partridge family once, too. Laurie kept hearing strange music. Turns out her braces were picking up radio stations.

Yeah, but this was Jimmy Sturr's polka music and sea shantys, broken up by an ocassional Milli Vanilli tune and I wasn't wearing any braces.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

quote:

Jamie

I think it happened to Gilligan's fillings too. Seems he saved everybody's life because of it.

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

[This message was edited by Criminal on November 01, 2002 at 02:33 PM.]

Someplace in my travels I've heard the story that after someone leaves this world their presence can be felt in the form of an animal. If that is so then I have had an experience.

Two years ago well on a patrol with the USFS I meet a family out for a little picnic. It so happens that their oldest daughter (about 10) had the apparent symptoms of Cancer. Bald head, sallow complexion etc. Since I like kids I felt sorry for this family and still think of that kid every time I travel that trail. Last year in the same place that I saw this girl there was a blue grouse just strutting around. My thoughts were, you've gone on, Peace be with you.

Then this year while on patrol in the same gulch I came across 4 grouse, and my thoughts she has company and they have all gone across. Peace be with all of you. Now where does the other 3 come from. Well there were 3 Air Fireman killed while fighting the Big Elk Fire that was located in that same area.

Since this is a fairly wild area, but with lots of day hikers at times, its unusual to see wildlife in the vicinity of the main trail.

So I feel like they were there and they were happy.

Tahosa - Dweller of the moutain tops.

quote:
Originally posted by Tahosa:

Someplace in my travels I've heard the story that after someone leaves this world their presence can be felt in the form of an animal. If that is so then I have had an experience.

Two years ago well on a patrol with the USFS I meet a family out for a little picnic. It so happens that their oldest daughter (about 10) had the apparent symptoms of Cancer. Bald head, sallow complexion etc. Since I like kids I felt sorry for this family and still think of that kid every time I travel that trail. Last year in the same place that I saw this girl there was a blue grouse just strutting around. My thoughts were, you've gone on, Peace be with you.

Then this year while on patrol in the same gulch I came across 4 grouse, and my thoughts she has company and they have all gone across. Peace be with all of you. Now where does the other 3 come from. Well there were 3 Air Fireman killed while fighting the Big Elk Fire that was located in that same area.

Since this is a fairly wild area, but with lots of day hikers at times, its unusual to see wildlife in the vicinity of the main trail.

So I feel like they were there and they were happy.

Tahosa - Dweller of the moutain tops.

--

Greetings, Tahosa! icon_smile.gif What a most beautiful intuitive observation and memoriam for the little girl and the fireman.

I am certain that they know you are attuned to them and have them in their thoughts.

It is these types of small remembrances that bring out the most joy that life has to offer in experiences.

I bid thee Love and Light.

Warmth and Tenderness,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I chewed on some Belladonna root out here in the desert once and then a UFO landed right in front of me and Elvis stepped out...

--> Yeah, I saw *that* too once icon_wink.gif<--

Seriously, though, all joking and spooky ghost stories aside, I have seen some things in this world that I cannot explain, attempting to do so would ensure that you write me off as crazed or delusional, that's all I will say at this point. I think there are forces out there that many people are not able to comprehend, the few that are aware of them are laughed at or locked up....

If you're not going to share your story, then why post in the first place? *Look At The Title OF This Thread: "Really Strange Anomalies in the Backcountry."

This thread is for this type of thing. If you don't share it, we can't enjoy it. I have experienced my own type of "unusual something." I have shared these occurrences with others with whom is shared an attitude of open mindedness, respect, and non-judgment.

These are the type of people you need to associate yourself with--people who have a deeper sense of who they are, why they're here, and what they're doing, and why things are the way they are, and want others to learn the same, but don't press their own belief system on the person in question, namely you.

Seek your own truths, Team360. Don't look to others when your own True Self is hankering for the answers. I had done this for years before I became aware of this truth: My experiences are my own, no one else's experiences are my own. Therefore, who is the better qualified source of information? The answer was obvious: ME, not THEM!

So out with it, already. It is obvious to me you want to, or you wouldn't have posted. So how about it, eh? Tell of your adventures. Life is short, is meant to be lived fully and joyfully, and sharing this information with others raises the conciousness and intelligence of the entire human race (read: "global community")!

Why not let me decide for myself if I think you're a kook or not icon_wink.gif heh. In other words, don't worry about it!

Waiting for you to tell your story,

Firefishe

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

---------------------------

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)

---------------------------

[This message was edited by Firefishe on April 10, 2003 at 10:28 AM.]

I was out exploring some quite Oak forest canyon routes, looking for the Giant Western Golden Chanterelles (really big, tasty mushrooms).

No luck, too hot lately, but kept some waypoints of likely areas to check later. The GPSr is great for recording areas of interest that would be difficult if not impossible to find later.

Anyway, made my way up to the top of the mountain, enjoying the incredible wildflower show. Keeping one eye out for "snake", who is out somewhere lying in the sun. Snake, despite laying in or crossing the path, does not want to get stepped on. He rattles his tail and coils to make the point. We met once last week, so I know he is out hunting too.

Atop the ridge, I see half a dozen buzzards on the tallest outcropping suning and playing, so... I make my way up.

Buzzard is gone, but here is a great view of the surrounding oak covered valleys and grassy ridges.

Learned a little trick... to stop every once in a while and scan the surroundings, looking for movement...learned from coyote. He walks (actually trots) a while then stops and looks around.

Well, I spotted another man, one in a red shirt, only the second that day, crossing a saddle to the ridge I was on. There in the valley below was coyote...headed toward the man, about to cross paths on a 90? angle.

So, I hunker down to see what happens.... Coyote ALWAYS sees me first.

It's very hard to trick coyote, but I have surprised him many times. I know because he's running away at close range and not calmly trotting on his way.

Coyote looks at the man, then back at me. Coyote is stopped, just looking and waiting. The man in the red shirt just keeps walking and sees neither me on the ridge outcropping, nor Coyote, just to his right in the draw, waiting for him to pass.

I wanted to yell out to the man "look, there is a coyote right on the trail near you!"... but like coyote, I was just there, quietly waiting and watching for these others to cross... the very same path I would cross, to head back home.

The man in the red shirt kept walking, on to his destination...he never saw anything, because he did not stop to look around....

----------

Greenjeens

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm... will stalk you silently."

It's been a long time (way before GPS was available) since I came upon a spot worthy of note here. I was still a boy, and as boys will do, often played in the batture behind the hurricane protection levee on the banks of the Mississippi close to home. One day, I had ridden my bicycle along the top of the levee, and chose a place to enter the woods. It might be interesting to note that the place I entered at is directly across the road from the site of an old plantation home. At the time, you could still see the burned out ruins rotting under the oak trees. In the years after the civil war, the house had been converted into a restaurant, and it was a kitchen fire that was blamed for it's destruction. Rumors circulate even today that arson played a role...

Anyway, I pulled my bike into the weeds behind me so it wouldn't be a target for theft, and continued up another, smaller earthen dam. Once I made it over the top, there was a break in the dense canopy that allowed sun to filter through and illuminate the area with that golden light you only see in the late afternoon.

There before me was a large patch of the most indescribably green ferns, the like of which I'd never seen. The filtered sunlight was shimmering on the fronds, and I was transported to another place, or time. I was struck by the incredible beauty of this vista, and I left quietly, never to forget that vision.

Today, the ruins of the plantation are gone, but there is a cache right on the second levee I climbed. Unfortunately, the ferns are nowhere to be seen.

eyes.GIF

"Searching with my good eye closed"

Generally I am level headed. Hey I am a tekkie and so is my wife and my son falls right in place. We were caching in the Lehigh Valley Pennsylvania Saturday and hit a cache to trade bugs at dusk. Cache was isolated and down a long path near a cliff edge on the Delaware River. The beginning was fine as we petted two labs whose trainer was walking them back to thier truck parked next to us at this isolated spot. We continued on for another half a mile when I was cutting up with my son and my wife turned and looked up taken back. We turned just as a kid locked up the brakes of a mountain bike. I said "Wow you scared us" and he smiled and biked off down the trail in a hurry. We kept on walking and shrugged it off and laughed at how he almost hit us. As we approached the cache spot we saw the kid down the trail staring off at the river in deep thought. He was blond and pale and wore a black T-Shirt with a spinal chord print and khaki shorts. He paced as he looked up at the path at us and we paced awaiting this stand off and avoiding the cache. We finally sat down on a log and about ten minutes latter he silently walked by us never looking. You could have heared a pin drop. Now we were all just trying to act normal but all felt the hair on our neck rise. He walked a hundred yards down the path and walked back and fort across a bridge that crossed a ravine. Same long off forlorn look on his face. We were contemplating what to do as we were worried he was going to jump or something and wondered what happened to the bike. He finally walked off up the path and we shook our heads and immdiately took care of our cache duites with one of us on the look out. We all were busy on the hike back trying to rationalize this strange characters appearance when we all looked up and suddenly saw him walking towards us again! Afterwards none of us can remember seeing him a moment before but our freak out button was getting pretty high and darkness was setting in. We kept walking towards each other and this time he wasn't happy and I tightened my grip on my walking stick just in case. He mumbled something at us as he walked by and went down the trail into darkness. We continued on another half mile to the truck occasionally looking back just in case. The engineering logical side took back over in the truck. We think he may have stole the bike and was racing to hide and ditch it and was mad we were around. That's it right...... or is it!

Wags, Russ & Erin

Okay, I will post, but you will think I should be committed after reading this. I was out on a hike, on a cloudy day, and when I looked up at the clouds, there was an oval opening, and some clouds inside had formed the EXACT likeness of Jesus Christ, just like the traditional oval pictures you see of him in semi-profile. A sign in the sky, I am sure of it. Of course, I didn't have my camera.

There was a time at night, out on the central western Arizona border, when I was star gazing and saw a light moving slowly, way up high, across the sky. Then it became bright for a second, like a headlight sweeping across me. (Scanned?) The light then went quickly UP and INTO THE SKY, not ACROSS it, but UP, and disappeared. Both absolutely true stories, and I will swear to them both until the day I die.

Ooooh please share stories. I love to hear about haunted places.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

[This message was edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking on April 23, 2003 at 03:49 AM.]

quote:

There was a time at night, out on the central western Arizona border, when I was star gazing and saw a light moving slowly, way up high, across the sky. Then it became bright for a second, like a headlight sweeping across me. (Scanned?) The light then went quickly UP and INTO THE SKY, not ACROSS it, but UP, and disappeared. Both absolutely true stories, and I will swear to them both until the day I die.

Sounds kind of like a satellite moving across the sky, then a flash from a satellite (sun reflecting of the solar panels).

There is a site somewhere that can give you cords, time, and direction to look to see flares made by Iridium satellites.

here is some data about them http://www.satobs.org/iridium.html . And a way to find the location http://www.heavens-above.com/ . More data here: http://www.bisque.com/thesky/tom/iridium.htm#Get%20the%20coordinates%20from%20the%20web .

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

quote:

Sounds kind of like a satellite moving across the sky, then a flash from a satellite (sun reflecting of the solar panels).

There is a site somewhere that can give you cords, time, and direction to look to see flares made by Iridium satellites.

here is some data about them http://www.satobs.org/iridium.html . And a way to find the location http://www.heavens-above.com/ . More data here: http://www.bisque.com/thesky/tom/iridium.htm#Get%20the%20coordinates%20from%20the%20web .

Wyatt W.

The Heavens-above website tells you when and where an iridium flare will occur, as well as other satellites and the space station. Real accurate too.

"Ich erhielt zwei Drehscheiben und ein Mikrophon"

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

Ooooh please share stories. I love to hear about haunted places.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

[This message was edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking on April 23, 2003 at 03:49 AM.]

just the usual footsteps, flying things, lights going on and off and faces in windows! icon_rolleyes.gif

My husband and I were camping for the first time together about 10 years ago. We were laying on a blanket by the fire (now coals) looking at the starts. I saw what I thought was a satellite moving slowly across the sky. As I watched, it just stopped. I remember thinking it was as if it just parked, and looked just like any other stationary star. Don't know what the heck it was.

quote:
Originally posted by Tomebug:

My husband and I were camping for the first time together about 10 years ago. We were laying on a blanket by the fire (now coals) looking at the starts. I saw what I thought was a satellite moving slowly across the sky. As I watched, it just stopped. I remember thinking it was as if it just parked, and looked just like any other stationary star. Don't know what the heck it was.

i grew up in the country and remember seeing many satellites in the nighttime sky. they always completed their track across the sky and never appeared to stop. i don't know what you saw when you were camping, but it couldn't have been a satellite. maybe it was the 'mothership'? icon_biggrin.gif

One thing I've never been able to figure out... If aliens are so technologically advanced that they can travel across the galaxy, defying every law of physics that we know of, how come they can't build a craft that doesn't have exterior illumination on it?

sigavatar.gif