Stumbled across a geocach without a device,

janardis

definitely in the right place...the forum and website. Look around for Intro areas, and How-to areas. Also start looking and deciding how much you want to spend on a GPS device. If you have a smart phone (iPhone, Galaxy, Droid, Thunderbolt, etc, etc.) you actually can download the app and use the phones GPS to start.

Look around a bit. On your profile page, you can set the coordinates of your home (or as I recommend, a spot near your home, but not exactly, for security reasons) and from there map out caches near you. Don't know much about where you are, but if near a town, should be a number of them not so far away. Read the logs and such.

Also, if look for an event with other cachers. They'll likely be more than happy to show you the ropes. One or two might even take you on some hunts with them before you acquire a GPS so you can see if you like the game before investing $100 or more on the GPS.

Hi Janardis. Welcome to the addiction sport.

One thing you can do is look for event caches near you. You don't mention what part of Canada you're in, so I can't suggest any offhand, but here in Southern Ontario there are a couple of geocaching groups that hold meet-and-greet type events in local restaurants on a monthly basis. There are also a couple of larger picnic events held annually.

At any of these events you'd find geocachers more than willing to discuss what GPS they use, and why. There's also a very good chance that there will be someone willing to show you what it's all about by taking you out to find some geocaches.

Hi and welcome aboard.

With time you will settle in to the sites and will find ways to find information. Sometimes it's not quite apparent at first glance.

I can see that you are listing Chatham ON as home area. Thus, I hope you attract the attention of BC & Ms Kitty who are in that area and quite friendly. I'm not remembering exactly where, but they are there abouts and certainly a lot closer than I am ( out in BC) and even chris-mouse is closer than I used to be.

I certainly hope you will stick around, and most here will answer questions for you, but it is much easier for some in person.

For example, clicking on a user name or their avatar will take you to that users profile from most locations on the sites... cache logs or pages, forum posts etc. This can be handy since you can send 'blind' emails to them if you should spot someone who appears knowledgeable and active in your area. There are also the Private messaging links in the forums that can do that 'on site' if you chose to limit your email contacts. Look for that little envelope under your avatar. Incoming shows up at the top right of your forum page.

Anyway, welcome again.

Doug 7rxc