iPhone App: Ability to display disabled caches

ertyu

On numerous times I've happened upon the location of a disabled cache and needed more information about it. I fire up the app only to find that the cache can't be made to display in the app at all. At which point I have to go back and search through the web to get the info required.

Certainly would be nice to have an option to show disabled caches and a toggle to show/not show them as well.

On numerous times I've happened upon the location of a disabled cache and needed more information about it. I fire up the app only to find that the cache can't be made to display in the app at all. At which point I have to go back and search through the web to get the info required.

Certainly would be nice to have an option to show disabled caches and a toggle to show/not show them as well.

This is something I've always thought was very odd about the apps. I can't think of any good reason why disabled caches should be hidden. I've had many scenarios when I wanted to look up a disabled cache, but I couldn't through the app and had to go to the website instead to look it up, which is much more painful and time-consuming on a smartphone. It can't be to save bandwidth, because forcing people to use the site instead would surely use more bandwidth than the API.

likely to save bandwidth, search resources or some other silly justification that they can afford, but rather see profit over value (hey I had a cache named that, and they published it..hahahahah). But either way...agree, I really would like to see the app have the ability to include disabled caches. Heck, I don't always trust disabled caches. I've found a couple (and even my own ARCHIVED cache) still in 100% condition.

Heck, I don't always trust disabled caches. I've found a couple (and even my own ARCHIVED cache) still in 100% condition.

Actually, that may very well be the reasoning (misguided as it may be) behind not displaying them. TPTB may not want n00bs blindly going after disabled caches. However, this could easily be solved by popping up a message when you open a disabled listing that says something like "This cache is disabled. It may not be there. Read the logs for more information before going any further."

I don't think it's anything to do with bandwidth or resources, because other uses of the API (ie. GSAK) allow the downloading of disabled caches. AFAIK, it's just the official app(s) that won't show disabled caches.

Edit to add: I should detail my reasons for wanting to look up disabled caches.

The most common reason is checking on a past find that's disabled. Out of the kindness of my heart (and to facilitate the NA process :laughing: ), I'll occasionally go out to past finds that seem to have problems to see if I can find them. There have been many occasions when I want to read the logs while on site, but it's difficult to do so if the cache is disabled.

Another scenario is if I'm visiting one of my own disabled caches. If I perform maintenance, it would be handy to just bring it up in the app and log the OM/Enable on site. As it is, I have to bring up the website, browse to the cache, and then submit the log. Not nearly as convenient.

Edited by The A-Team

Another scenario is if I'm visiting one of my own disabled caches. If I perform maintenance, it would be handy to just bring it up in the app and log the OM/Enable on site. As it is, I have to bring up the website, browse to the cache, and then submit the log. Not nearly as convenient.

I have run into this issue more than once.

Instead of logging the maintenance and enabling the cache with ease (and in a timely manner) using the app, I need to mess around using the website...or just wait and do it when I get home.

When I've been hiding caches, I'll search the app to make sure I'm .1 mile away from any others. But the disabled caches don't show up, so I place the cache, go through the website upload process, wait for the reviewer to publish it ... only to find it's too close to a disabled cache. Then I have to go back and retrieve the hidden cache feeling slightly frustrated.

Was burned by this again yesterday. Was walking by a cache I had previously found but by chance noticed it was disabled earlier. When I went to look it up on the phone it wasn't in the list so I assumed it was archived, so I didn't bother to check up on the cache for them. :(