Geocaching.com site Extremely slow

Fiver1

In addition to very slow accesses, I'm also getting occasional

"The service is unavailable.

Server is too busy"

This isn't generally a bandwidth issue, more usually a server concurrency maximum.

Groundspeak - any news on improving capacity?

Ran into that problem Sunday morning, about 3 AM Seattle time. It cleared up a few hours later. One would not think that Sunday mornings would have a band width problem. Unless they were wrking on the system, or people in Spain were logging their Cinquo de Mayo cache finds?

I wonder if it automatically raises the difficulty for caches that you do manage to find, despite the difficulties encountered using the website...

Good job we British can maintain a sense of humour really, since Groundspeak responded to my contact response after four days with "We have implemented some changes that should resolve the issues with site slowness."

Have about 40 more to log. Maps are not showing caches so logging finds has become an impossible task for me. Why does this go on week after week?

I'm at a loss. Why do you need to have caches show on map in order to log them? I am seriously missing something.

Have about 40 more to log. Maps are not showing caches so logging finds has become an impossible task for me. Why does this go on week after week?

I'm at a loss. Why do you need to have caches show on map in order to log them? I am seriously missing something.

Because I track my wanderings on a map, not a GPS.

Trust me, if there was an easy and straight-forward solution, we would have implemented it.

What browser and version are you using, and what server are you on when you encounter this issue (http://www.geocaching.com/whoami)?

It was server 12 last night, and Safari Version 5.1.9 (6534.59.8) Around 12:15AM EDT it came back and started working again.

Edited by edscott

It's completely off the air at the moment. Not even accepting connections.

trunkie% telnet www.geocaching.com 80

Trying 66.150.167.189...

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

I'm beginning to wonder if the running "hamster" joke is in fact not a joke at all.

Trying 66.150.167.189...

I'm beginning to wonder if the running "hamster" joke is in fact not a joke at all.

The thing is That they did not tell us the site is going to be down today or it is down right now. I am not able to get on it either. It has been down for three hours already. I can not evan get on the status.geocaching.com website

Edited by fitbobcat

Trying 66.150.167.189...

The thing is That they did not tell us the site is going to be down today or it is down right now. I am not able to get on it either. It has been down for three hours already.

Off-line here in Indiana - Eastern time zone - as well. Surely they're not doing an update at 6 am Pacific? Nothing in the announcement forum, either.

The only site I can get onto is this forum. I'm finding it sad and rude that when we do get a response, it holds no explanation. It's just one or two lines that tell us nothing "Trust me, if there was an easy and straight-forward solution, we would have implemented it"...........Is hardly informative.

I blame myself for the sites problems....It was fine until I took out a premium membership :P

Come on guys. It costs nothing to give us some feedback. Atleast more that "we are trying to resolve the issue"

Getting bored now.........

The only site I can get onto is this forum. I'm finding it sad and rude that when we do get a response, it holds no explanation. It's just one or two lines that tell us nothing "Trust me, if there was an easy and straight-forward solution, we would have implemented it"...........Is hardly informative.

I blame myself for the sites problems....It was fine until I took out a premium membership :P

Come on guys. It costs nothing to give us some feedback. Atleast more that "we are trying to resolve the issue"

Where did you find that information?

Where did you find that information?

Post #59......read up :D

...you'd think you'd put your status site on a different server than your other sites.

It doesn't matter. Even if it was on a different server, it doesn't update automatically, so it will say everything is just fine until someone goes and manually updates it. However, this usually doesn't happen until the site is actually back up, at which point they'll update the status page to say the site is down!

...you'd think you'd put your status site on a different server than your other sites.

It doesn't matter. Even if it was on a different server, it doesn't update automatically, so it will say everything is just fine until someone goes and manually updates it. However, this usually doesn't happen until the site is actually back up, at which point they'll update the status page to say the site is down!

lol...........

Who puts there site status page on the same server as the site !!!

I can't spell roket sience, but come on guys :unsure:

What does it matter? The page is static. It doesn't actually monitor the site and report on it. It only changes when someone goes and changes it.

The fact that it too is missing tells us a lot more then if it simple reported what we all know.

For the last few days refreshing caches via the API has been painfully slow: typically taking three to four times longer than it used to, and PQ downloads are also much slower.

Hopefully Groundspeak will use the extra revenue from the increased prices to European cachers to invest in some resources...

Who puts there site status page on the same server as the site !!!

I can't spell roket sience, but come on guys :unsure:

What does it matter? The page is static. It doesn't actually monitor the site and report on it. It only changes when someone goes and changes it.

The fact that it too is missing tells us a lot more then if it simple reported what we all know.

It does matter, and it should matter. It's a status page, static or not makes no odds. If the site goes down then one of the monkeys at Groundspeak can update the status page. Running a status page on the same server, serves no purpose. If the status page says the sites down then true we can find this out fromn trying to reach the site, but if the sites down for an extended period of time then a status page can be updated by a human. That human may also have at hand an update as to what the problem is and what is being done to rectify it. Now I rest my case on the use of a status page and why static or not they need to be hosted some place else :P

I'm from Germany and I have the same problem. Website and map overlay are extremely slow. Very unusual.

Felt no difference in speed for a few days.

My server from whoami: WEB19.

I'm using Firefox 20.0.1.

Tell me why I should renew my premium account if I can't even plan a regular Geocaching trip! :huh:

Edited by BoundToBeFound

I'm from Germany, too. During the last weeks the connection to Groundspeak gets slower and slower. <_< Unfortunately I have renewed my PM account tree weeks ago. Why didn't Groundspeak invest the money from the PM accounts in increasing the bandwidth and server capacity? :mad:

Edited by UUS

Giving up for tonight the map page doesn't load at all just times out - considering there has meant to have been enhancements in yesterday's update it has got worse than ever. Some kind of acknowledgement from groudspeak would be good.

A very sorry state of affairs.

Same problem here in France.

I'm on WEB20.

Ping loss to the server:

Réponse de 63.251.163.200 : octets=32 temps=222 ms TTL=233

Réponse de 63.251.163.200 : octets=32 temps=225 ms TTL=233

Délai d'attente de la demande dépassé.

Réponse de 63.251.163.200 : octets=32 temps=220 ms TTL=233

Réponse de 63.251.163.200 : octets=32 temps=219 ms TTL=233

Réponse de 63.251.163.200 : octets=32 temps=222 ms TTL=233

Réponse de 63.251.163.200 : octets=32 temps=221 ms TTL=233

Réponse de 63.251.163.200 : octets=32 temps=219 ms TTL=233

Réponse de 63.251.163.200 : octets=32 temps=224 ms TTL=233

Réponse de 63.251.163.200 : octets=32 temps=224 ms TTL=233

If you look at you will see that today the avg response is twice as normal.

Geocaching.com resonse time:

Sep14 546ms

Sep15 660ms

Sep16 555ms

Sep17 564ms

Sep18 548ms

Sep19 523ms

Sep20 937ms (2x average performance per day)

Geocaching apps response time ()

Sep14 874ms

Sep15 869ms

Sep16 879ms

Sep17 881ms

Sep18 899ms

Sep19 841ms

Sep20 1264ms (50% increase)

Edited by DanPan

If you look at you will see that today the avg response is twice as normal.

Geocaching.com resonse time:

Sep14 546ms

Sep15 660ms

Sep16 555ms

Sep17 564ms

Sep18 548ms

Sep19 523ms

Sep20 937ms (2x average performance per day)

Geocaching apps response time ()

Sep14 874ms

Sep15 869ms

Sep16 879ms

Sep17 881ms

Sep18 899ms

Sep19 841ms

Sep20 1264ms (50% increase)

I find it very slow to scroll through maps, get information etc. Is it worth paying to be a premium member? I wonder.

The weather is getting nice and folks are thinking about geocaching so they get on the site. It is always slow Saturday afternoon to Monday afternoon during nice weather. It gets better in the fall.

1 hour ago, MZCacheHunter said:

I wonder why Groundspeak is so bad in maintaining a proper performance.

Every time they get more performace into data center it seems to be used for visual enchangements called "streamlining" which multiplies the load to the servers. That's ok if they also put methods to limit the load by removing some features temporarily. For example, loading tons of avatar images could be stripped off without any harm. (I have no idea will this help but it is an example)

2 hours ago, MZCacheHunter said:

The website is so terribly slow again, it's really unusable. I wonder why Groundspeak is so bad in maintaining a proper performance.

The speed is an issue today.  

The choice of date also seems to repeat in this thread.  Odd.