Geocaching.com site Extremely slow

Fiver1

Last night I noticed the geocaching.com site was slowing down. This morning it is completely unusable it's so slow. Is there a server problem? All is good on my end and all my normal sites including the Groundspeak forums operate normally.

Some help please?

Yep, this site is very slow. I have noticed that over several days. Are you guys doing something about it? Thanks

Well according to this quotation from the thread about 'RELEASE NOTES' they must be: "The Geocaching team has been working like crazy to roll out updates and enhancements that will make your Geocaching adventures easier, faster and more awesome"

Edited by HEADLANDERS

Website been slow now for over 24 hours, not just me, seeing people avoiding logging finds because it's so frustrating.

Eg, loading a simple cache page takes around 30-40 seconds. Usually 3-4. Map often doesn't show overlays, and when it does, you often can't click on a cache to bring up details.

On the flip side, not seeing the huge delays of emails this weekend that has affected previous weekends going back for a month!

(UK, Firefox and Chrome, win7x64 - all other websites fine)

Yep, this site is very slow. I have noticed that over several days. Are you guys doing something about it? Thanks

Well according to this quotation from the thread about 'RELEASE NOTES' they must be: "The Geocaching team has been working like crazy to roll out updates and enhancements that will make your Geocaching adventures easier, faster and more awesome"

If that's the case, then someone zigged when they should have zagged. All I can say is that the site is awesomely slow and the maps aren't usable at all on my end.

This is not good considering that this is a special CITO weekend and I'm sure a lot of people want to log not only the events they attend, but also the caches they find in the process.

Hopefully this will be fixed very soon.

This morning I've been trying to bookmark caches that I found on vacation last week for DeLorme Challenges and it has been extremely slow going. I should be halfway done but I've been able to bookmark a handful in the hour or so I've been at it. I'm giving up for now because of the terrible slowness.

I have also noticed over this weekend how laggy geocaching.com has become. If it's this bad on a relatively nice spring weekend, what will it be like when summer rolls around? :blink: And while I'm on a roll (or rant, whatever), why must I sign in a 2nd time to post on the forum? I've never ever seen this anywhere else. :tired:

Edited by Popcorn313

Last night I noticed the geocaching.com site was slowing down. This morning it is completely unusable it's so slow. Is there a server problem? All is good on my end and all my normal sites including the Groundspeak forums operate normally.

Some help please?

Extremely slow??? Just a nice description. It's like surfing in frozen syrup from Sweden.

Groundspeak support on duty? Getting this?

Edited by yxza

1:30 PDT on Sunday and the problem persists. Website is extremely slow, forums are slow, and maps fail to load a single cache for me.

The GC System Status page shows all green checkmarks - I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry over that.

Not a peep from the GC Lackeys recently on what the problem might be or when they might expect a resolution. I too am wondering if they over indulged in celebrating 420 day yesterday and there are no hamsters available today to run the data center.

The site is much better today but the maps are still flakey. I have to zoom in and out several times to be able to get the cache label and descriptions to come up. But it is faster than this past weekend. I guess that's the silver lining.

Interesting how, at the moment,

http://www.geocaching.com is dead as a doornail, while

http://status.geocaching.com is operating but clearly not hooked up. ("operating normally")

The status page practically never shows anything but "operating normally", because this page has to be updated manually by one of Groundspeak's employees.

This of course makes the page quite pointless, since they don't even seem it fit to do so today, where they clearly do have problems...

I was working fine until just a while ago and the site got very, very slow again. I couldn't even get the caches to load on the map.

Come ON Groundspeak. A little help here please.

I rarely have anything to say about the site and how things are handled, but please either fix this or let us know what's going on.

Surely it can't be too much trouble to post a notice or something.

It's been so slow and unuseable for the past few days now. It's just spinning here then times out or loads but fails to draw all the details. I find it sad that they can't be bothered to issue a notice. It's a huge site with many members and staff that monitor the running. They have to know that it's broken, so come on guys 'n' gals......We should not have to resort to Google to find a bunch of other people with the same problems. I reset my router etc etc a few times until I realised that it's not my end :mad:

We made some changes today that we feel were the root causes of the slowness of the site with high traffic. We are monitoring the stats and with all luck, won't see this issue again!

-Raine

This post is 3 days old, but the page is still as slow as a snail... and this for almost over a week now.

I´m not able to use the maps, because it doesn´t show any cache symbol and if i try to open a cache page,

it takes up to 50 seconds to show only the header.

Please fix this problem soon.

Geocaching is unusable at this time

Greetings

MaRon07

We made some changes today that we feel were the root causes of the slowness of the site with high traffic. We are monitoring the stats and with all luck, won't see this issue again!

-Raine

Still sloooooooooooooooooow...

Do you have an update please?

Edited by DanPan

"...waiting for www.geocaching.com...."

The site has become completely unuseable.

Can't even get to the Cache search page - browser keeps timing out.

Maps are taking many many minutes to load - then show NO caches.

Even this forum seems slower than normal.

My best guess this is just a traffic - capacity issue. I do wonder if Groundspeak needs to buy some more capacity and at the risk of cries of elitism are Premium Members competing with Members for bandwidth. I Hartley agree that at times the Geocaching website is unusable.

Groundspeak any response to such thoughts ?

Sunflower Twin

To repeat what has been said over and over, site is unusable due to extreme slowness, map doesn't work properly, extremely frustrated.

Come on Geocaching-fix the problem - get a faster server or pay for more bandwidth and fix the maps!!!

Thank you,

Spooklight

I wonder why we should pay for Premium anymore. The Site has been so slow within the last two weeks. This service is so outrageous. I tried to activate one of my Caches and it took about 30 minutes to access the site.

Groundspeak should solve this Problem or they loose me as premium Member. This is currently a dump and lousy Service!

And here in New Zealand we too are having all the same issues as described above. I even updated all my software on the computer as we thought that was the issue but no, nothing has changed. We're planning on a big caching weekend so really hope you guys get things sorted asap.

I started geocaching in October 2010 and the site availability had always been a big problem. Later it seemed to improve but now it is intolerable again :-( I wonder where the advantages of a premium membership are right now?! Sometimes the site is unusable, the map hasnt worked properly since they introduced the "new" map... Totally annoying :-(

Edited by GeoStoney

I wonder where the advantages of a premium membership are right now?!

I agree that the site has been annoyingly slow lately, especially during weekends.

However, I don't think site availability has ever been an advantage of premium membership. When it's slow, it's slow for everybody. :rolleyes:

--Larry

• Upvote 1

Well five days later and it's still slower than slow...

What I find sad is the lack of responses from geocaching.com. The odd few words here and there "is the site still slow for you mr xxxxx", is hardly showering us with information.

When we login there should be a splash screen telling us they have issues, what they think those issues are, and what's being done to rectify them. As it is many people are thinking the problems are with there computer or internet, and as a result are going to great lengths to fix things until they stumble on this post or find something in a web search.

I've just moved to a premium membership, not to be elite and search for premium member only caches....Which by the way I find sad and creates a split between geocachers. I tooke the premium for the added features, like PQ's etc etc...

Premium or basic, we are all suffering when this sites slow then it's slow for all of us. I think it's time that they release a login splash screen telling us what's going on. It will not be a fix but it may calm a few of us down if they take us out of the dark.

Upgrades and beta testing used to be done onsite. It's become clear over the years that the updates are rolled out long before they are ready for the world (Microsoft & Apple) being to prime examples.

And the old blub we get fed about needs to test it live on millions of users is also nonsense. It's easy enough to create server load and system stress without the need to inflict a cobbled together update on your cusstomers/users.

Pull the failing updates, send out a notice, take the code and clean it up. Then spen time testing it before you roll it out...That's the way it should and can be done. :D