No signal. Left it on for 12 hours.

Hello. Im in Uzbekistan and I simply can not get a lock. I left my GPS on for over 12 hours and it simply will not find the satellites. the sky is clear -- i was in the middle of the desert. I have been to a bunch of countries and I have never had this problem. I sort of had the same problem in Turkmenistan. It found me but after about 30 minutes it said Low Signal and then would not pick up again. Is my GPS busted? Help!!!

when I was trying to get a signal when I first posted this thread I was in the middle of the desert. Nothing close for hundreds of km. Yesterday I was in Istanbul where I have previously used this GPS with no problem. I met with other geocachers who had no problem with their GPS. I did a hard reset by holding the top left of the screen on start up and it still was unable to find the satellites.

Has any one ever had a problem like this? Could my GPS be fried?

edit: splashy. What is 'yammed'?

also not sure what wifi has to do with my GPS.

Edited by releasethedogs

Wifi has nothing to do with gps, but if the satellitebars are reacting on the Wifi (because this often happens) you know the receiver works.

Certain places on earth are blank for gps reception.

If you are in Istanbul now and you tried on an open space to get a satellite lock without anything between the gps and the sky for about 20 minutes, then the Gps might be broken if you don't have a satellite lock by now.

.... Yesterday I was in Istanbul where I have previously used this GPS with no problem. I met with other geocachers who had no problem with their GPS. I did a hard reset by holding the top left of the screen on start up and it still was unable to find the satellites ... Could my GPS be fried?...

Sounds like it to me. Best evidence is you've tested it in an area of known good reception where other GPS units are working and yours still doesn't.

Called Garmin. The "tech" said it "mucst be defective" then they said it would be over 150 dollars to swap it out.

What a slap in the face, after buying 0ver 6 GPS units from them over the last 10 years they wont swap out a defective GPS.

The "tech" said it worked just fine during your warranty period.

Yeah convenient.