3D printed geocaches !

warweed

I wonder if there are 3d scanners as well.

Every Staples in the world (give or take) besides the ones locally, have a 3D printer for sale with all the trimmings. It says "3D Scanner" too, part of the system. I guess it maps the shape of real objects, which then can be scaled and printed. But I've never had the time while traveling to ask about that system.

I wonder if there are 3d scanners as well.

Every Staples in the world (give or take) besides the ones locally, have a 3D printer for sale with all the trimmings. It says "3D Scanner" too, part of the system. I guess it maps the shape of real objects, which then can be scaled and printed. But I've never had the time while traveling to ask about that system.

The Makerbot Digitizer is a 3D scanner/printer. I just recently read an article which describe how Home Depot is going to be stocking and providing some technical support on 3D printers in some selected stores. There's also a site call thingiverse.com that has hundreds of models already created that can be printed with the Makerbot. As someone else suggested though, what's the point. A lot of these models seem to be objects that one could probably find in a toy store and well stocked hardware store and the 3D models mostly seem to exist just because someone took the time to create one. Sure, you could print a container and use it for a geocache but you could probably find a very similar toy for a fraction of the price. Maybe it', s kinda cool to print off a tube, with a cover, but once it's out in the real world it's not going be functionally different than putting together something with PVC pipe and fittings. The other issue that I see is that an object printed on a 3D printer is essentially going to be one uniform color, not the best camo for an object placed in the real world.

As someone else suggested though, what's the point. A lot of these models seem to be objects that one could probably find in a toy store and well stocked hardware store and the 3D models mostly seem to exist just because someone took the time to create one. Sure, you could print a container and use it for a geocache but you could probably find a very similar toy for a fraction of the price.

Why? It would be no doubt cheaper to buy one ready-made. However, have you ever driven around town or spent hours on ebay trying to find just what you want. With 3D printing, you can get exactly what you want.

Maybe it', s kinda cool to print off a tube, with a cover, but once it's out in the real world it's not going be functionally different than putting together something with PVC pipe and fittings.

Making something by hand can be really hard, especially if there are little pieces. The thing I'm making is originally made from wood and you have to make these tiny pieces and then glue things together. Not only would plastic work better outdoors, but I could bypass the gluing and just make certain parts all 1 piece. It should hold up better than something glued and if something does break, I can just print off another piece, in a stronger material if necessary.

The other issue that I see is that an object printed on a 3D printer is essentially going to be one uniform color, not the best camo for an object placed in the real world.

You can always camo it after.

I'm Looking For ALL kinds of containers preferably screw top kinds or locking kinds etc. these are some i made recently :)

2z5lmds.jpg

2i229mo.jpg

2hn9s39.jpg

I think that cryptex and other types of puzzle containers like the ones shown above are probably the best use of 3D printing. I looked at making a cryptex out of PVC and it appears to be a complete PITA to do without some fancy power tools. The black "maze" containers in the first picture also look very interesting.

As someone else suggested though, what's the point. A lot of these models seem to be objects that one could probably find in a toy store and well stocked hardware store and the 3D models mostly seem to exist just because someone took the time to create one. Sure, you could print a container and use it for a geocache but you could probably find a very similar toy for a fraction of the price.

Why? It would be no doubt cheaper to buy one ready-made. However, have you ever driven around town or spent hours on ebay trying to find just what you want. With 3D printing, you can get exactly what you want.

All I'm saying is that most of the models on that site just looked like an excuse to use a 3D printer.

Maybe it', s kinda cool to print off a tube, with a cover, but once it's out in the real world it's not going be functionally different than putting together something with PVC pipe and fittings.

Making something by hand can be really hard, especially if there are little pieces. The thing I'm making is originally made from wood and you have to make these tiny pieces and then glue things together. Not only would plastic work better outdoors, but I could bypass the gluing and just make certain parts all 1 piece. It should hold up better than something glued and if something does break, I can just print off another piece, in a stronger material if necessary.

The other issue that I see is that an object printed on a 3D printer is essentially going to be one uniform color, not the best camo for an object placed in the real world.

You can always camo it after.

I have no idea what kind of container you're thinking of but assuming you're trying to replicate someone one might find "in the wild" (animate or inanimate" adding camo such that it looks realistic is probably the hardest part. But it would be great if you could make something like this:

251129.jpg

I have no idea what kind of container you're thinking of but assuming you're trying to replicate someone one might find "in the wild" (animate or inanimate" adding camo such that it looks realistic is probably the hardest part. But it would be great if you could make something like this:

No, I'm not doing anything like that. I guess I should put a warning here that if anybody from my area is lurking, they may want to tune out as there are going to be spoilers shortly.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Alright, so I went to the club (it's called a Makerspace) and talked to the people there. The material for printing is cheap and they said you can make something the size of a small apple for about $1. That is, if you join the club and pay their $50/month fee or get a member to print it for you. You can make an object solid or put a honeycomb pattern inside to save material and time. The guy I talked to who built the printer pictured below seemed to think PLA would be pretty good outdoors. He said it does biodegrade, but usually only if deliberately composted and it needs heat to break down.

The only problem is printing seems to be quite slow. To print something the size of one of the parts I need done would be about 2 hours. So it's not practical for me to print at the club as there's only 1 printer and I have many parts to print. Best thing is to find a commercial printer where they can have 4-6 machines running at the same time. Of course, printing commercial would cost more. This guy quoted me $50 to setup plus $10/hour.

Photos the printer. He sells the kits to make it for $1800.

034596b8-48cd-4280-922a-4a777e31d4d6.jpg

A short video of the printer running. It's only about 5 seconds as I was kind of in the way of people wanting to see it.

My AutoCAD drawings are coming along. It was a learning process, but I managed to figure things out. Now I just need to figure out how to export STL files and it can be printed on a 3D printer. I may have to also scale things down to reduce printing time and cost.

e98b6f8f-c26a-4f14-a081-6dddfc18a60c.jpg?rnd=0.1977915

Yes, 3d printing isn't a user-friendly process at this stage. It requires a good deal of technical saavy, especially if it's an original design. There's a steep learning curve. And complex designs or high resolution work can't be done on the "basic" $1,000-$2,000 machines. It's got possibilities for cache building, but go in with eyes wide open & time and money to burn.

Yes, 3d printing isn't a user-friendly process at this stage. It requires a good deal of technical saavy, especially if it's an original design. There's a steep learning curve. And complex designs or high resolution work can't be done on the "basic" $1,000-$2,000 machines. It's got possibilities for cache building, but go in with eyes wide open & time and money to burn.

I agree about the tech saavy part, although if you can find some plans ready-made, all you have to do, really, is get them printed. I don't think it would really make sense to buy your own machine, unless you're printing alot. And as far as costs go, I have found a couple of Makerspaces where membership is $25-$50/month, which is dirt cheap, given what you get for it. The only drawback is the speed of the printing. You might have to either stick to small items or be prepared to leave it printing and come back later.

Here's the latest, the most complicated part. I also figured out how to generate an stl file from AutoCAD. This is a good thing as that's the file format you need to print on a 3D printer. Have contacted the OP as well. I have scaled things down by 50% in order to save time and money in printing. The thin rod on the left will be only 2mm in diameter. I may have to make it bigger as it will be under stress and 2mm is not very much. Or I could make this particular part out of metal instead of plastic.

0672437d-28b7-4e59-a89e-b2722e877bc1.png

Here's the latest, the most complicated part. I also figured out how to generate an stl file from AutoCAD. This is a good thing as that's the file format you need to print on a 3D printer. Have contacted the OP as well. I have scaled things down by 50% in order to save time and money in printing. The thin rod on the left will be only 2mm in diameter. I may have to make it bigger as it will be under stress and 2mm is not very much. Or I could make this particular part out of metal instead of plastic.

[photo snipped]

That piece does most of the work in the mechanism. You could just go with a steel rod for the large shaft, and for the other two smaller shafts as well, and make the body bigger to beef it up. I would also make several copies of the part while you have everything set up. It looks like an awesome project, you MUST show pictures as you go and when completed.

I really liked the safe that was made using this mechanism.

Edited by fishgeek

[photo snipped]

That piece does most of the work in the mechanism. You could just go with a steel rod for the large shaft, and for the other two smaller shafts as well, and make the body bigger to beef it up. I would also make several copies of the part while you have everything set up. It looks like an awesome project, you MUST show pictures as you go and when completed.

I agree that steel rods would be better, especially for the thing rod, but #1 where would you buy them #2 how would you attach them?

The original maker suggests either using a nail or coat hanger. I was thinking the coat hanger might bend and the nail would work, but not sure how to attach it in a way it would stay in place, even after repeated abuse.

[photo snipped]

I agree that steel rods would be better, especially for the thing rod, but #1 where would you buy them #2 how would you attach them?

The original maker suggests either using a nail or coat hanger. I was thinking the coat hanger might bend and the nail would work, but not sure how to attach it in a way it would stay in place, even after repeated abuse.

Buy? From the internet of course.

You would probably want to close the end of the hole on one end and leave enough plastic so the assembly can hold it. Then cut the rod short and cork the other end with plastic as well. Need some good epoxy or glue.

If you can 3D-print stuff you can do all sorts of fun stuff with things like left-handed threads without having to go and buy left-handed taps and dies. I like the idea of the mushroom with a cap that unscrews, especially if it unscrews "the other way", so to speak.

Here's a model on thingiverse of a bunch of threaded containers: http://www.thingiver...om/thing:385265

Schraubbox_M18_D14_ALL_preview_featured.jpg

It seem like it would be fairly easy to use these as basis for more elaborate containers. Instead of just a cylinder one could create more real life looking objects but retain the threads. There are quite a few other models in the "containers" section that might work as geocachers.

Here's another one you could try: http://www.thingiver...om/thing:341340

DSC_1583_preview_featured.jpg

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Update.

Even with my design scaled down, the print volume is about 26 cubic inches, which would cost over $100 to print. I need 4 copies of it so the cost to get it printed would be over $400. Or I if I wanted to do it on the cheap, I could sit in a Makerspace away from my family for hours and hours, but that's just not practical.

Since Mr Incredible's been wanting a new toy for quite some time, we've decided just to buy our own printer. We've ordered a printrbot Simple Metal. With shipping and tax, it's under $1000.

http://printrbot.com/compare-printers/

It comes in a kit and you put it together yourself. It has build area of 6"x6"x6" and will print in both PLA and ABS (we'll be printing in PLA). Material is cheap. You get a 1 kg spool of filament for around $30. I will post photos and videos once it's arrived and working.

And, yes, there will be a cache at the end of this. :D

Saw today that Home Depot's gonna be selling the things.

Yeah, I hope so. Right now, at least in my area, you have to order them online.

I read that they're only going to be available, initially, in some of the larger markets (New York, California).

Something else you might consider making are custom trackable items. Buy the tag, then embed the tracking code into whatever you want to print. It would be good for printing coordinates on some object for a multi cache.

My printrbot Simple Metal arrived today (Yeah!) Total cost was $700 Canadian, including shipping and taxes.

To save money and because I like this sort of thing, I bought the kind you need to assemble yourself. I've got all the parts out and have looked at the instructions. I definitely wouldn't recommend going this way unless you really like putting things together. There are some tools you need that are NOT included. Supposedly I need a zip tie gun to put this thing together? That's a $50 tool. There is also some liquid I need to go out and buy. Surely they could have included a little tube of it. Sigh.

acae3f2f-b090-4cdf-b149-b1e9c6fdc151.jpg

2aaac2db-9c71-4904-b630-a7f709659f7b.jpg

c917cd29-6cc5-4434-a476-16ab4176b12b.jpg

Anyway, I'm really excited about this. I've watched lots of youtube videos and read lots online about this printer. I will work on assembling it and should have some videos/photos soon once I get it printing.

Also, found a very useful website. It's got lots of ready-made files for many different objects. Would be a good place to look for cache guardians and in fact, I've got a bunch bookmarked that I am going to print off. Yes, you could go to a store, but sometimes you just can't find what you need.

Thingiverse

For instance, a Viking. :D

sven2_preview_featured.jpg

My printrbot Simple Metal arrived today (Yeah!) Total cost was $700 Canadian, including shipping and taxes.

Looks like a project. I don't know if you saw them in Canada but many years ago there was a company called Heath-kit that sold a variety of consumer electronics products that you put together yourself. I had a room mate that bought their top-of-the line television and I helped him put it together. It was actually a lot of fun.

Also, found a very useful website. It's got lots of ready-made files for many different objects. Would be a good place to look for cache guardians and in fact, I've got a bunch bookmarked that I am going to print off. Yes, you could go to a store, but sometimes you just can't find what you need. Thingiverse

I mentioned Thingiverse awhile back in the thread and posted a couple of other objects from the site in post #71. I got the impression that you could download the ready-made files then customized them if you wanted. For example, you could embed a tracking code in that Viking and make it a TB.

I also just read something elsewhere this morning that indicated that the campus store at the University where I work sells the Makerbot replicator 2 3D printer ($1,999).

I mentioned Thingiverse awhile back in the thread and posted a couple of other objects from the site in post #71. I got the impression that you could download the ready-made files then customized them if you wanted. For example, you could embed a tracking code in that Viking and make it a TB.

I also just read something elsewhere this morning that indicated that the campus store at the University where I work sells the Makerbot replicator 2 3D printer ($1,999).

Sorry, I did read your post earlier, but didn't make the connection. I agree, it's a great site. I'm still not 100% sure about it, though. I have downloaded a bunch of files, all of them .stl files. They are not editable for adding tracking codes, as far as I know. Of course, I'm new to this. I tried loading the .stl files into my software (Repetier) and some of them got rejected so I'm not sure what I would have to do to get them to print. I'm also still trying to figure out if I can scale the objects down.

Yes, the Makerbot does cost alot more. I'm not sure why. There's also a guy here in town that sells printer kits (plus a 2-day course on how to put it together) for $1800. My printrbot can do 6"x6"x6" which will be enough for what I need to do and it seems to have good reviews.

I'm kind of enjoying putting it together, but it's taking longer than expected, some of the instructions are unclear so I've had to take things apart and redo them more than once and I've dropped some of the tiny pieces on the floor more than once. I've managed so far to get by without buying a rubber mallet or zip tie gun. Supposedly this thing takes 4 hours to put together. So far I've put in 6 hours of work and am only 1/2 way there. :blink:

When you get done, you can offer a service of printing things for all of us perhaps? I have some ideas :)

I'd be very happy to do that. The material is not expensive, I would mostly just need my shipping covered.

I think it would be great to have a place like Thingiverse (but for geocaching specifically), where people would upload their creative geocaches and share with others.

Ok so i just got my replicator 2x 3d printer :D I'm very excited because i think it will be revolutionary to geocaching :D I'm not very well skilled in CAD design but I know a bunch of you out there are so I am looking for a bit of Help. In my area (Edmonton, Alberta) there aren't to many overly creative caches I mean don't get me wrong there are some ! that's for sure but not a lot so I would love tog give back to my local community by getting some help designing some new ones if anyone out there is keen on giving a hand I will gladly take your cad designs and turn them into caches and as a reward I will make one for you to ! the only thing i would ask is you paid for the shipping of course i would take some photos of the caches after then done printing and if you would like one 2 i will gladly send it :)

I'm Looking For ALL kinds of containers preferably screw top kinds or locking kinds ect these are some i made recently :)

2z5lmds.jpg

http://coord.info/GC4A9BR

2i229mo.jpg

2hn9s39.jpg

http://coord.info/GC4A1AK

send me a messaging through my geocaching profile

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=9e734c17-8a5d-4683-897a-1fbe0cb06e72

if your at all interested :)

Thanks guys

Please keep in mind the replicator 2x only has a build volume of 9.7 L x 6.0 W x 6.1 H in so if you want to make one bigger it will have to be a multi peice part which can easily be acetone welded together :D

Awesome! A friend loaned his 3d printer for me so I can build my own.

The tape I needed from printrbot arrived. I tried printing again and things still weren't good. I was using the filament that came with my printer. I switched to the BuMat blue filament I bought from Amazon.com and printing was better. It printed a cube pretty good, but didn't do so well when I tried to print a rotor spacer from my plans. I took a video of it printing a rotor. Clearly I have a bit more troubleshooting to do, but at least we're printing!!

fe148814-b62d-42a5-a87b-e114712b888e.jpg

f15d3a7f-af58-478e-a8dc-2610c07c052c.jpg

Progress! I've been having some trouble with print quality, but it's getting better. There are many different settings to consider. It's not as simple as clicking 'print' like you would with a regular printer.

I printed one of the rotors today.

rotor7solid_zps2ca362da.jpg

I also took a video of it printing.

Printrbot has a big forum. I've posted some photos of my results and hopefully someone will help me with my print quality issues.

Soon I hope to be uploading a working combination lock. This is where things will get very cool.

Progress! I've been having some trouble with print quality, but it's getting better. There are many different settings to consider. It's not as simple as clicking 'print' like you would with a regular printer.

Printrbot has a big forum. I've posted some photos of my results and hopefully someone will help me with my print quality issues.

Soon I hope to be uploading a working combination lock. This is where things will get very cool.

I do enjoy the 70's space movie soundtrack it plays while printing. :laughing::P

Im sure you have heard this or read this before but print bed level and speed are very important to good print job. I am looking into buying one for work and I have been doing alot of research on them and those two factors are about the most important ones.

Im sure you have heard this or read this before but print bed level and speed are very important to good print job. I am looking into buying one for work and I have been doing alot of research on them and those two factors are about the most important ones.

I did get some replies from the printrbot forum and apparently there's a wide range of factors that can contribute to the problems I'm having. The printer I've got it auto-leveling. I've reduced all the speeds to 30mm/min which has helped alot. I also increased the extruder temperature to 205C instead of 200C. This helped alot too. There are lots of settings to consider, at least with the printer I've got, but I'm figuring it out slowly. From what I understand, the Makerbot software is more sophisticated and there's less adjustments for the user. If I had the money, I would have bought one of those.

I cant wait until we pull the trigger on buying either a 3d printer or a full blown sls, sla machine same principle as a 3d printer but uses a laser to melt and cure the powdered plastic. Plus there isnt any supports to cut off on odd and weird shapes the uncured powder is the support. I will have all the tools I need to make killer containers software hardware and the know how all at work and not on my dime LOL.

That's the best part! Yeah, so far my new landlord hasn't enquired about the noise. I wonder what they think is happening down here. :huh:

Make a large box of 1/4 inch plywood to completely cover the printer, preferably with a hinged plexiglass door on the front, and set the printer on some thin soft material. Sound level will drop lots. Hours of that loud hum will bother you more than it will bother the landlord.

I cant wait until we pull the trigger on buying either a 3d printer or a full blown sls, sla machine same principle as a 3d printer but uses a laser to melt and cure the powdered plastic. Plus there isnt any supports to cut off on odd and weird shapes the uncured powder is the support. I will have all the tools I need to make killer containers software hardware and the know how all at work and not on my dime LOL.

Yeah, if your workplace will pay for it all the better. :D

I am currently trying to print something off with supports and, I agree, it will be a pain to cut off the supports and then use sandpaper to smooth everything down. In addition to the expensive machine which you describe, I have heard there are 3D printers which will can print 2 different materials at once. The 2nd material being one that will dissolve away.

Hopefully when our financial situation improves, I will be able to fork over a great deal of money to get a better printer. Of course, selling my beloved civic is always an option too. :D

• Love 1

That's the best part! Yeah, so far my new landlord hasn't enquired about the noise. I wonder what they think is happening down here. :huh:

Make a large box of 1/4 inch plywood to completely cover the printer, preferably with a hinged plexiglass door on the front, and set the printer on some thin soft material. Sound level will drop lots. Hours of that loud hum will bother you more than it will bother the landlord.

Thank you, excellent advice. I will do just that. I want this baby printing 24/7 and I'm afraid it's already bothering the family.

Yeah, if your workplace will pay for it all the better. :D

I am currently trying to print something off with supports and, I agree, it will be a pain to cut off the supports and then use sandpaper to smooth everything down. In addition to the expensive machine which you describe, I have heard there are 3D printers which will can print 2 different materials at once. The 2nd material being one that will dissolve away.

Hopefully when our financial situation improves, I will be able to fork over a great deal of money to get a better printer. Of course, selling my beloved civic is always an option too. :D

If you can think it they can make it, printers that can print metal, multi color plastic prints, multi material, disolveable materials you name it.

If you can think it they can make it, printers that can print metal, multi color plastic prints, multi material, disolveable materials you name it.

It's amazing, isn't it. I'm seriously looking at selling my car and buying another 3D printer with a larger build volume and the capability of dual-extrusion. Also, a 3D scanner. Just the essentials. :lol:

I found one this morning with excellent reviews. Cost around $2000 and a larger build volume. 8"x10"x8". This could make for some *really* creative caches.

MakerGear M2

I thought I'd give this post a little "bump" to see if interest in 3D printed geocaching stuff had picked up since this last post. I've been 3D printing for a while now (at my place of employment), and have done some little projects for myself (geocaching of course) just to test a 3D printing concept (threads for attaching 2 things together, how much can I "overhang" a ledge with out support material, layering strength, ect). If someone shows an interest I'll post some pics, or answer questions. By the way, I'm running (2) Makerbot replicator 2X machines (yep, that's right,,, 2 of them,,,, lots of things need to run over night).

phone and GPS mount

Selfie Stick on Trecking Pole

Edited by NOV8TR
3 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

well, it´s a Geocaching forum and it´s fairly alive.

If you are looking for a more active 3D-printing techy forum, this might be not the best place to be.

Technically, this is a topic (or thread) in a sub-forum, of the geocaching forums.   Because there are many topics within a sub-forum,  a topic can quickly get buried.  Once a topic moves down to a second or third page it can be hard to find until someone bumps it as was done here.  

I came across an article fairly recently that demonstrates a 3-D printing technology that doesn't use additive (printing layers of material) technology.    It's probably a long ways off before it would be affordable for consumer use but it's pretty interesting:  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/forget-everything-you-know-about-3-d-printing-mdash-the-replicator-is-here/