Secret Society?

RIK666

My Family and i are reasonably new to Geocaching (3 weeks), Already our 16 Year old son, and 3 Year Old Granddaughter join us on our outings... The fun and excitement in the adventure is amazing. The other day we were at a very beautiful location along a major River in Australia, the scenery was so picturesque. So we took some photo's of the surrounding area, being very careful as to not include specific landmarks as to reveal where the location exactly was, and to make sure the cache remained hidden.

This is where my problem lies, upon posting the pic with the caption "GC with the family" a fellow geocacher & family member was angered that we are revealing this secret society to the world. The less people that know about it the better, she said... I informed her of the Share with Friends on Facebook function, the merchandise, the facebook page, the youtube channel etc...

What is everyone's thoughts... are we a Secret Society and we never speak of geocaching or do we share our experiences with friends and family, to try and recruit more????

1st RULE: You do not talk about GEOCACHING

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about GEOCACHING.

seriously though. sounds like someone got some thorns stuck ah.... errr.... well.... you know where.

I don't actively try to recruit anyone- but I don't try to be "skull and bones" about it either . that's just silly . no one I mention it to ( as in the response to the casual " what did you do this weekend) even knows what I am talking about... or really cares for that matter.

I posted a photo of one of my own hides on FB with detailed directions on how to get there. Trying to entice my friends up the hill. Not a chance...nary a single friend will actually go up that hill for something as ridiculous (in their eyes) as my cache. I can't even bribe my co-workers to go with me up there. :D I think there is absolutely no worry that a photo will compromise anything.

The only people who might have any concerns about photos being posted are the cache owners themselves (when you add a photo to a geocaching.com log) - and that's not what we're talking about here (and even if it was, you did everything right by not actually revealing the cache location itself, so no worries there).

Now...were I to video myself putting $10 dollar bills inside my cache and put that on FB...maybe that'd actually get them up there??

This is where my problem lies, upon posting the pic with the caption "GC with the family" a fellow geocacher & family member was angered that we are revealing this secret society to the world.

I sincerely hope this other cacher is new and just doesn't know what they're talking about. If it's an experienced cacher, then I give them a :blink: , followed by a :unsure: , then a <_< , and lastly a :rolleyes: . The secret has been out for many, many years. Come to think of it, it never was a secret. You might want to suggest to them that they Google "geocaching" and see how many results they get. Surely a secret society wouldn't show up that many times in Google, would it? In fact, the post that started it all was on a public USENET newsgroup that anyone could see.

You should ignore this other cacher and keep doing what you're doing. If I was in your shoes, I'd actually step up my game and post even more photos. :laughing:

With all the "TFTC" logs and no pics on many lately, we'd like to see pictures of folks having fun and showing unique locations seen.

Wish more would do the same.

- Just no spoilers.

Sounds like the "cacher" doesn't know what they're talking about.

edited -spllelinng

Edited by cerberus1

Sounds like your family member is a cranky-pants. If you have a fun activity you enjoy, why would you NOT want people you know join in the fun?

Just to make your crazy relative even crazier, be sure to start a geocaching blog, post TONS of photos on facebook, tell everybody you know about geocaching (perfect strangers too), start a geocaching club and put on classes at your local community center!

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I have introduced eight people to geocaching over the years, guess what?, none of them have kept it up past a few months. In fact where I live there seems to be less and less cachers then there was when I first started in 2008. When you look through an old cache's logging records you see lots of people with a low find count who were very enthusiastic about this great activity, but their(old)log records rarely go past about 20 finds.

I don't think we need to worry about caching becoming mainstream at the moment, at least where I live.

I think it used to be a bit of a secret society say 7-8 years ago, but nowadays it's mainstream. It's frequently featured in magazine articles, TV & radio shows, and there are hundreds of facebook groups, and like you say GC.com has added the ability to post your activity to facebook.

I think your friend is over reacting.

We have introduced a few work colleagues to Geocaching and some of them are still going strong, some are still the recovering from experience of being dragged through the bushes, being furtive, while dressed in a suit and tie while we were out on a work trip.... heh heh heh. And quite a few have said, "oh, you too?" and while I don't advertise it loudly, I do have a trackable patch on my backpack, which is recognised by quite a few people at work, who march in and loudly ask, "who's the Geocacher?"... It's no secret, but we like to be furtive in finding our caches and when introducing someone to geocaching, its good to explain to them that you don't let 'muggles' see you do it, in order to preserve the cache.

This is where my problem lies, upon posting the pic with the caption "GC with the family" a fellow geocacher & family member was angered that we are revealing this secret society to the world. The less people that know about it the better, she said... I informed her of the Share with Friends on Facebook function, the merchandise, the facebook page, the youtube channel etc...

Geocaching became mainstream the day I received my first iphone app generated blank find log in 2010. :laughing:

Her opinion isn't too popular, but it's an opinion, and she's entitled to it. It was indeed more of an underground secret society years ago. For the first time, I just realized I've been Geocaching since before facebook existed! Apparently it was not open to everyone in the general public until 2006, although it was launched, with accounts by invitation only, in February 2004. That being said, people posting Geocaching photos to Facebook, or "taking about" Geocaching on Facebook never phased me one bit.

I've probably told a couple dozen friends, relatives, and coworkers about Geocaching over the years. To date exactly 0 of them have gone on to become active Geocachers.

OP's relative makes the assumption that the only way to keep everyone in the world from playing the game is to keep it secret. In reality, way more people than the current registered users already know about it. They just don't care.

I think the aforementioned relative has confused the need for stealth (to prevent random muggles from spotting the location of a particular cache) with keeping the whole game a secret.

Geocaching became mainstream the day I received my first iphone app generated blank find log in 2010. :laughing:

Her opinion isn't too popular, but it's an opinion, and she's entitled to it. It was indeed more of an underground secret society years ago. For the first time, I just realized I've been Geocaching since before facebook existed! Apparently it was not open to everyone in the general public until 2006, although it was launched, with accounts by invitation only, in February 2004. That being said, people posting Geocaching photos to Facebook, or "taking about" Geocaching on Facebook never phased me one bit.

Geocaching is now very much part of Facebook, I'm a member of quite a few FB geocaching groups. I even like Groundspeak. :laughing:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: (Psst. I'm also a member of the Masonic Geocaching Society on FB) :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I bet some of my friends and relatives wish I would treat it like a secret, and shut up about it already. :P

+1 :lol:

+1 more

Virtually all of my friends know of my lunacy (caching, I mean, not that other stuff) and like others, to date, not one has taken up the hobby. Took my sister on the ET Highway. She has not logged even one of the 970 caches we found on that trip. My other sister will tag along, mainly to visit during the hunt, but avoids logging.

The only thing I would say about keeping it quiet is to keep caches from getting muggled. If you are going to discover this game, you will find it eventually, then hop along by yourself for the ride.

Cache Happy

There is nothing wrong with sharing the public aspects of the game. I cached for a long time before anybody taught me the secret signals that can be used in times of distress to identify ourselves

2e21bcc1-e7c8-409c-90ef-760e4689b190.jpg

Just don't tell your friends and office workers about the latter. Trust me on that.

My Family and i are reasonably new to Geocaching (3 weeks), Already our 16 Year old son, and 3 Year Old Granddaughter join us on our outings... The fun and excitement in the adventure is amazing. The other day we were at a very beautiful location along a major River in Australia, the scenery was so picturesque. So we took some photo's of the surrounding area, being very careful as to not include specific landmarks as to reveal where the location exactly was, and to make sure the cache remained hidden.

What is everyone's thoughts... are we a Secret Society and we never speak of geocaching or do we share our experiences with friends and family, to try and recruit more????

Not secret at all. A friend of mine tolerates me occasionally stopping to find a cache when he and I are out together, although I restrict myself to caches we're walking right past if they are quick and easy finds.

One year when he was on holiday he and his wife were sitting on a bench enjoying the view when someone emerged from the bushes, saw them, and looked as if they needed to come up with an explanation as to what they were doing. He asked if they were geocaching, and they said they were and asked him what his caching name was, and seemed surprised when he said he wasn't a geocacher.

Some people hear about it and want to try it, others hear about it and think it's sad. Of those who try it some enjoy it and some think it's sad. To each their own I guess.

But no, geocaching isn't a secret at all, even if we don't need to go out and spread the word it's not something that needs to stay secret.

No, it's not secret. But I contend it should be.

If it was secret, how would you have found out about it?

My former college math teacher's ex-wife's boyfriends neighbor's brother, who's the manager of a 7-11, knows someone from Bolivia that let me in the game. I could tell you his name but then I'd have to.. fer-get it.

Very poor secrecy. Just watched on FB a 6 mins mainstream news report on geocaching from Manitoba. And tonight on my local news (in Ontario) there was a little segment on the pre-new feel good news part on local news.

ONLY thing that I think we need to keep secret as Geocachers is the places we bury the bodies after we make the sacrifices to Signal. :laughing:

I've probably told a couple dozen friends, relatives, and coworkers about Geocaching over the years. To date exactly 0 of them have gone on to become active Geocachers.

It was probably a good decision then that you didn't make public relations your career choice.

Can't blame the messenger. I've told dozens of people too, taken many people out caching, but my net result is also ZERO recruits. 2 families went so far as to buy GPSs, 1 family even found some caches on their own, but NONE have actually gone on to become active geocachers.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Can't blame the messenger. I've told dozens of people too, taken many people out caching, but my net result is also ZERO recruits. 2 families went so far as to buy GPSs, 1 family even found some caches on their own, but NONE have actually gone on to become active geocachers.

My success ratio is a little better as some of the people I've "recruited" have gone on to cache regularly. Not every week or weekend...or even every month, but they still go out now and then. I would agree with the sentiment that geocaching isn't a secret anymore but many people, even if you can get them to go out caching a time or two, just won't embrace it the way we do.

That's normal for any hobby. Some (ok, alot) of people around here live and breathe hunting and fishing. I enjoy fishing or hunting when I go (rarely) but I don't make any special plans to do it and if I don't go, I don't exactly feel like I'm missing anything, either. I'd rather spend my weekends geocaching :ph34r:

I agree it's hardly a secret these days. On the other hand there are some caches, particularly urban ones, which do seem to be placed to make the finder feel part of a secret society. They are not near anything of interest, often need extreme stealth, and seem to imply that the finder is "in on the secret", while all those people who walk by every day without noticing are not.

:laughing:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

So this isn't a secret society after all?

Does this mean the secret geocache decoder ring I spent a fortune for was a ripoff?

Dang! I wish somebody had filled me in sooner. This takes half the fun out of it.

:P

--Larry

Forget the decoder ring. I want the puzzle-solver ring! I'll gladly pay a fortune for that! :grin:

When I first started caching, I thought it would be something I would want to share with everyone. That was six years ago and I have directly influenced a grand total of two people and indirectly two others.

Apparently I will never be a success as a pyramid-scheme sales-person.

On the other hand, all four of those people are still caching today and enjoying it.

That's my theory about geocaching. It isn't a secret, but I have absolutely no interest in getting the hoi polloi involved. If I meet someone who I think would enjoy the hobby, I'll talk to them about it. Otherwise, I don't say anything. After all, others are doing a fantastic job of informing the rest of the world and I'm not really convinced that geocaching has benefited very much from that.