Freeways?

incredibleHolt

Stopping for any reason other than an emergency on any Interstate freeway is illegal (this actually includes ramps, but enforcement lacks somewhat there).

You may do so if you want, but don't complain about the ticket you may get.

Edit to add: Freeways other than Interstate freeways may have differing regulations, but I wouldn't chance it, myself.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

In my experience, caches are never, ever placed on freeways or freeway ramps. Consider whether there's some path nearby that passes under or next to the freeway, or look more carefully to see whether the cache isn't actually on a side road. Things could be different in Georgia, but it seems unlikely.

I’ve hunted only one cache “close to a freeway entrance” in Georgia. It was hidden in a little forest, kind of a green space between a main street and the on-ramp, and you walk up the hill approaching the freeway, but still in the forest. I parked on the shoulder next to the street below. That’s where the County Sheriff parks, and it looks so odd to park there, it draws Sheriff attention. He thought I may have car problems, so I had to explain what I was doing. But it’s possible to park in the non-freeway place. I’d hope they’re all like that.

Hi, I'm new to geocaching and i notice several caches on my GPS say they are on or near freeway entrances or exits. Is it ok to pull over on freeway entrances or exits in Georgia to find caches? I'm currently in Columbus. Please help!

Welcome to the addiction!

To answer your question, no that would be dangerous.

It's a violation of most state laws of which I'm aware, including Georgia's, to park on the side of a controlled access highway (like the interstate) unless you're broken down. That includes ramps. I know I've seen semis parked on the shoulder of onramps many a time, they do so at the risk of being ticketed. It's also just not safe, regardless of the law.

In light of this, most if not all caches that are near a highway or highway interchange are not designed to be reached by parking on the side of the highway. The good ones will tell you where to park safely. For those that don't, use your judgment on where to safely park, but I would recommend not doing it on the highway or ramp shoulder.