Premium membership

papersearch

I just purchased a premium membership...now how do I get my gps recognizing the membership? When I look at a cache on my gps, and ask for further info or for clues or to view log, it tells me this is offered on a premium membership. Now, I didn't have the GPS connected to the computer initially...do I need to re-download with it connected?

I just purchased a premium membership...now how do I get my gps recognizing the membership? When I look at a cache on my gps, and ask for further info or for clues or to view log, it tells me this is offered on a premium membership. Now, I didn't have the GPS connected to the computer initially...do I need to re-download with it connected?

Try logging out and then in again, here on the forums as well.

Are you downloading gpx files? If you're looking at caches where you've downloaded .loc files, there won't be any hints.

Help Center → Geocaching → Finding Geocaches

2.5. Download Cache Information

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=236

Synopsis of the article:

Basic Members can download cache information in the form of LOC files. This file type contains only general information: the cache listing title, GC Code, and coordinates.

Premium Members can download cache information in the form of GPX files. This file type contains much of the listing information: the cache title, description, public additional waypoints (such as parking coordinates), hints, and the most recent logs.

B.

You need to remove ALL data installed into your unit before going Premium.

If any is left in the unit, new info loaded with default to the already existing status of that loaded earlier.

Empty it out, run a Pocket Query and load it. Everything you need would be there, including the hint and five previous logs.

Okay, I try hitting the button that says reset to factory settings and the caches in the area are still there...gonna have to play with it more tomorrow...would it be better to run it through my iPad since it's newer than my computer which is fairly ancient?

If any is left in the unit, new info loaded with default to the already existing status of that loaded earlier.

Empty it out, run a Pocket Query and load it. Everything you need would be there, including the hint and five previous logs.

Okay, I try hitting the button that says reset to factory settings and the caches in the area are still there...gonna have to play with it more tomorrow...would it be better to run it through my iPad since it's newer than my computer which is fairly ancient?

No, don't do a reset. That's not it.

You plug the Oregon into the computer and it becomes just another USB drive. Then go to the "GPX" folder on the Oregon, in

[OR drive]:\Garmin\GPX

and delete everything in that "GPX" folder. After you've deleted the old GPX files, you can Send one or two caches the usual way from cache pages, with the "Send To My GPS" button (so you get the GPX file, which has all the paperless info).

Pocket Queries are better (and they're pretty easy to do). You'll get two large GPX files with hundreds of caches in a Pocket Query, and copy them into that same "GPX" folder. Later, delete the old again, copy the new ones.

The Garmin Wiki has more info on how to manage files on the Garmin Oregon, and there's a lot of other useful info:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

Edited by kunarion

I try hitting the button that says reset to factory settings and the caches in the area are still there...

You'll have to hook it up to your computer, browse to the Garmin drive that shows up, then the "Garmin" folder, then "GPX". You'll probably see a mixture of GPX files and LOC files in that folder. You'll need to delete all of these GPX and LOC files, then re-download whatever you need from the site. If even one of these old files is left on the GPS, it will perform as you described originally.

No it would be better to follow directions-No on told yo to do a factory reset, they told you to remove/delete all caches on the GPS. You should have the option of removing all waypoint/points of interest/ everything you put it in. It takes about 2 seconds.