Jeepers Creepers Protect Your Peepers

Snoogans

To keep the thread where the quotes below are posted from being derailed from the direction it has taken, I decided to start a new thread.

For instance...Ask yourself this... How many cachers do you know that have had an eye injury or a near miss with branches/objects in their eyes while caching? Ask the crowd at your next event and see what happens.

Now, how many of those future injuries and near misses could be prevented if awareness was raised just to add a pair of safety glasses to your caching supplies and to remember to use them when the need arises?

We can do this ourselves.

I had a recent near miss of my own while night caching in the woods of Wisconsin while on a business trip. When the branch touched my eye all I could think of was my safety glasses in my vehicle geocaching supplies kit that I left in my car at the airport and how much good they were doing me there. I flippin' knew I would be going caching. I had no idea I would be caching in the woods at night. I was lucky. Imagine having to explain that injury to my boss.... I just got lucky.

The safety glasses immediately graduated to my don't leave home without it geocaching kit. I wear them even if I have to search in bushes, high grass like you find around guardrails, or urban landscaping.

How many of you regularly use safety glasses while geocaching?

Please post about your near misses that could have affected your eyes if they had gone further wrong.

Post about how many other cachers you know of that have had eye injuries or near misses with objects/branches in the eyes while caching.

It only takes a few bucks and a second or two to remember to USE safety glasses while caching in the woods or bushes. It's a habit that must be formed from conscious practice until it becomes unconscious muscle memory.

I think as a community we should raise awareness to include eye protection in your caching preparation routine. What do you think?

Anyone want to share?

Anyone out there that never even considered using eye protection while caching that may be considering it now?

I wear regular prescription glasses (and sometimes those Granny Terminator sunglasses that fit over my prescriptions) and have been thankful for it a number of times. The rest of my body could use a kevlar suit - I sometimes see bruises and wonder why, then remember I went geocaching.

Edited by L0ne R

I'd put myself into the category of "Anyone out there that never even considered using eye protection while caching and is still not considering it now".

I can remember more close calls at home playing with the kids in the yard than I can remember on the trail. I don't feel the need to wear safety glasses everywhere I go.

This weekend, I was on a hike (not geocaching) and leaned into a cactus as I was taking a sip of water...won't stop me from hiking in shorts either.

There will always be risks out there. I try not to take too many risks and work on awareness over wearing more protective items at the expense of comfort.

My most painful injury geocaching involved my ear, not my eye.

I was searching GZ, stood up whilst turning, and impaled the side of my head on a sharp branch. The pain put me on my knees. Very little blood though, and after a short while, I could hear out of both ears. Rather than wear earmuffs, I think I'll just pay closer attention to my surroundings.

As for eye protection? Age has taken care of that for me. :P

I haven't heard alot of people talk about that here. Never heard of any cachers here who got a serious poke in the eye either. Maybe it's just the way our caching is here or maybe it's not a big problem overall. 99.9% of the caches I've found don't require any heavy bushwacking and if they did, I'd avoid them.

For me, personally, I'm sure I've had some branches in the face, but nothing too bad I would remember it. Of course, I always wear prescription glasses. Not for safety, but because I wouldn't be able to see without them. :rolleyes:

Good topic, though. It's a good idea, actually to bring safety in general up at events. I found a cache today that was very dangerously positioned and an accident-waiting-to-happen. It's kind of sad that other people noticed the danger too but didn't think to move it, so I did. Keeping each other safe is important!

My last job was looking after the elderly and the disabled so watching out for dangers and reporting them was a daily part of my job. If I didn't do my job, someone could have fallen or died, so safety is something I take seriously.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Good topic, though. It's a good idea, actually to bring safety in general up at events. I found a cache today that was very dangerously positioned and an accident-waiting-to-happen. It's kind of sad that other people noticed the danger too but didn't think to move it, so I did. Keeping each other safe is important!

According to geocaching rules you should replace a cache where you found it. If that spot is too dangerous, you should contact the owner or a reviewer. Imagine the next person hanging around that dangerous spot just a little too long because they can't find the cache you moved. That might just increase the risk of an accident happening...

Now that I need glasses for reading, I mostly use those.

I will wear wrap-around safety glasses if I go for those bison-in-a-pine-tree hides (gotta be a decent hike to it) - the reason I now need glasses.

Anyone who ever had to go to the ER with a cup over a pine needle stuck in the eye will probably think to use a pair.

Safety coordinator at work, sometimes get on a mission (usually after somebody screwed up on the job) and I'll leave safety glasses or ear plugs in a hide. Someone must use them (via emails looking for more), as they're usually gone pretty quick, but we never see anyone wearing them caching.

- I figure if they're using them at home, that's cool too.

What about steel toe boots and hard hats while you're at it?

I've used a climbing helmet occasionally while doing rappeling, and sometimes will use the same for biking if its in an area where it is required, although a biking helmet is made a little different and probably should be used instead. Steel toe boots will stop small stubs but are dangerous if a large boulder comes down, as it could cause toe amputation. On FTF hunts a groin cup protector could come in handy to prevent strong offensive strikes..

Good advice from the OP.

I have sight in only one eye, so you'd think I would know to be more careful. When I reached for a cache at the base of a tree, a got a poke in my good eye from a twig. After a minute or two screwing up my eyes I managed a couple of blinks and I could see, but everything was slightly blurred. It took the rest of the day for the blurring to go.

Now I am extra careful and pack a pair of safety glasses in my caching bag.

You want me to wear safety glasses in the woods. Seriously?

Yup, and a hardhat too. :P

Seriously, when I happen to go for a midday cache that is in a deserty area (natural vegetation) I often get upset with myself for not putting my hat on as I leave my truck. :mad:

The cache is inevitably placed under some desert shrub and I have to crawl in there to get it.

Nothing like showing up at your next service call with your hair in disarray and twigs poking out. :lol:

If one of those twigs happened to gouge my scalp, it would be even harder to explain the blood running down my forehead. ;)

I rarely wear safety glasses while geocaching but have a pair or two in my car just in case I might need them. I have gone on a couple of search and rescue missions and wore safety glasses at all times because you are going to have to do some serious bushwhacking to maintain the search line. When using a chainsaw it is always safety glasses and a helmet with ear protection and a face shield.

I rarely wear safety glasses while geocaching but have a pair or two in my car just in case I might need them. I have gone on a couple of search and rescue missions and wore safety glasses at all times because you are going to have to do some serious bushwhacking to maintain the search line. When using a chainsaw it is always safety glasses and a helmet with ear protection and a face shield.

I fully support eye protection for bush work (and other situations), our SAR has made them mandatory part of basic gear for ground SAR ops. Of course their use is up to the user's discretion... do you need them in open places?

Well, there are more hazards than just branches and twigs. Gusts of wind can move dirt and debris around... no question that snow can be a pain literally. How about simply moving into a strong cold wind. I've had my eyes freeze up with tears and windchill while skiing, snowshoeing or just walking.

Eye protection covers a lot of ground both for need and design. Glasses may be fine for some situations, but often you need side protection as well, since all hazards to not come 'head on'. I prefer the wrap around style, or even the 'goggle' style. Even a pair of glasses with side shields attached can work. And most can be had in anything from clear to tinted various shades. Most these days provide for UV and IR protection as well.

When to use each is user supplied of course, but the tools should be at hand. Speaking of which, some sort of restraint device can be useful as well, since they do no good if they are lost or knocked off.

Doug 7rxc

I'm going to type this as a separate post.

When in the bush, DON'T let branches go suddenly! If you move them out of your way, get in the habit of releasing them in a controlled manner. I usually stay well clear if I'm following someone even when controlled release is in play since even the best can lose control. Always watch how the person ahead moves stuff and act accordingly, including chastising them if they don't even try to control it. A second chat usually means that person will suddenly be very lonely.

It's harder when you are the person who slips up and you 'hit' yourself with a dropped branch, but I remember some auto cursing more than a few times, with and without eye protection when searching... one reason for using a walking stick etc. to move brush aside so you can inspect/ assess.

Doug 7rxc

Actually, I don't want you to do anything you don't want to do.

When I started caching in early 2003, geocachers were mostly outdoor types. Folks with a better than average knowledge of outdoor risks and precautions. Most had a handheld GPS before they ever learned of caching.

Today, new cachers don't always enter the game possessing an outdoor skillset. When you can download a $10 app and head off trail to find a cache a moment later without considering personal safety... It's up to US geocachers as a facilitating community to raise awareness for considering the options for greater personal safety.

That said, there is a measure of satisfaction for having donated blood to the Earth on a particularly challenging hunt.... But I can't imagine a cache that would be worth one of my eyes. It's entirely up to you if you want to protect your own. Mine are covered. And if you ever go caching with me, I keep a couple extra pairs in the car if you need some. :)

Edited by Snoogans

Wearing eye protection seemed like a huge hassle when they first started making us wear them for SAR years ago but a pair saved an eye once so now if it's too dark for sunglasses I wear a pair of clear glass cheaters (with reading bifocal) because I have to admit my eyes have gotten a bit old and it's easier to read with them at night. I also have to admit that since I grabbed a possum's butt checking for a cache I also wear gloves too.

Yup, and a hardhat too. :P

Seriously, when I happen to go for a midday cache that is in a deserty area (natural vegetation) I often get upset with myself for not putting my hat on as I leave my truck. :mad:

The cache is inevitably placed under some desert shrub and I have to crawl in there to get it.

Nothing like showing up at your next service call with your hair in disarray and twigs poking out. :lol:

If one of those twigs happened to gouge my scalp, it would be even harder to explain the blood running down my forehead. ;)

And steel toed boots as well. :ph34r:

According to geocaching rules you should replace a cache where you found it. If that spot is too dangerous, you should contact the owner or a reviewer. Imagine the next person hanging around that dangerous spot just a little too long because they can't find the cache you moved. That might just increase the risk of an accident happening...

Sorry, but if the next person to go looking for a cache is in DANGER of falling and killing themselves, I'm going to do something RIGHT AWAY not go home like a coward and send a bunch of emails and hope that "someone" does "something" about it. Contact a reviewer? Nope, they won't get involved in a safety issue. Contact the CO? Forget it; they're the ones who put the cache there in the first place.

Imagine the next person hanging around that dangerous spot just a little too long because they can't find the cache you moved. That might just increase the risk of an accident happening...

Hard to explain, but not an issue in this case. The cache was only moved a few meters. If moving the cache INCREASED THE DANGER, would I have done that? Or maybe you're assuming I'm dumb and didn't think things through?

When it comes to safety, it doesn't have to be complicated. All that is needed is 1) a functioning brain and 2) a good attitude 3) a willingness to take action to reduce risks.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

My 9 year old needs a hard helmet LOL She decided to try and swing on a branch near GZ and when she yanked on the branch to see if it would hold her and entire fat log/branch came crashing down and hit her right in the middle of the head. Luckily she was fine and just a little shook up, but that is just one of the 100 that have been near misses for her. The other 3 seem to just fine LOL No glasses for me, but I really need to wear jeans or something all the time as my legs are scarred up from all the branches and stuff that get me!

I agree with the need for glasses. I've worn them for 50 years and they have saved my eyes more times than I could count. Last week for the first time a branch came between my forehead and glasses and poked me in the eye....I was startled but fine and the risk there is not enough for me to want to wear goggles.

I basically wear geocaching uniforms....I cache in the deep south and all my clothes, outerwear and underwear, are moisture wicking. I wear long pants always even if I don't think I'll be up in the brush because I usually am. I wear a hat because I can't stand branches, cobwebs, and ticks in my hair.I always wear a pair of hiking boots and the few times I don't take my hiking stick out of the truck I usually regret it.

It is a good idea to go over this with new cachers.