Psychic Visions Aid in Selection of First GPSr???

Now this is just plain weird in my book...and believe me, my book has always been a little off-kilter icon_wink.gif.

I've been hashing my brains out, trying to find geocaches *sans GPSr* for months now. Well, I'm finally going to be able to afford my first GPSr at the end of August now, and I've narrowed down my choices:

--Garmin GPS-V or GPSmap 76S--

Now I've been enamored with the etrex Vista for months prior to the 76S being released and, when it was, I really liked the idea of the built-in compass and barometer features. I also liked the auto-routing feature of the GPS-V, so I'm kind of stuck. . .

Until, that is...I began "seeing things" in my mental pictures. icon_wink.gif...and they all look like the GPS-V.

Someone trying to tell me something? Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

Probably a little insane to get started with all of this anyway! Chasing around the countryside with a box in your hand, looking at the sky to check tree cover, skulking around until everyone has left the area so that you aren't observed opening the cache...

Sounds a little abnormal! icon_wink.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

quote:
Originally posted by Night Tracker:

Just get the V. What are you waitin for. You found five without one, It should be a cake walk with the Garmin V. My 315 and a ten dollar compass works better than the e-compasses on any of these gps units,( No calib. or batts. needed). Be happy with the V, you'll be wishing you had it sooner..

Just had a chance to test the GPS-V at my local Boater's World store.

I am going with my Impressions icon_wink.gif...This thing is fantastic.

Walked around the large parking lot with it and could not believe the sensitivity...I am eagerly awaiting the 3/4 part of August icon_smile.gif.

I like the fact it takes 4, instead of 2, batteries, has an excellent, ten-level, bluish-white lighting system, and has the auto-routing. The CDI "Course Pointer" 'compass' is excellent. I set a Goto, and walked about 8 feet or so left and right of my course line, and the CDI "arrow" moved when I got barely 3 to 5 feet either side of the course line. Very handy!

I'll stick with my tried and true, late 1970's or early 1980's vintage (I've had the thing for about 20 years) Silva Ranger compass, and it's little brother Polaris, for my compass work. Besides, I can set the area declination for a given area on the Ranger so it reads True North at a glance. Now how handy is that? I can use the Polaris for magnetic.

So the GPS-V Deluxe (updated City Select and full unlock codes for all areas ) is my choice. Decided. Finally.

Thanks, All, for all the help icon_smile.gif

Warm regards,

Firefishe icon_cool.gif

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

quote:
Originally posted by Firefishe:

Until, that is...I began "seeing things" in my mental pictures. icon_wink.gif...and they all look like the GPS-V.

Someone trying to tell me something? Thoughts?

Yes, you're insane (and buy the GPS5).

The 5 it is!

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Night Tracker:

Thank God you finaly decided. Now how long did it take you to settle on the Silva Ranger compass.TIC

--

Heh! Funny you should mention that compass. I bought that when I was in Boy Scouts, years ago, well over 20 (I'm 36 now).

Answering your question, I picked it out immediately. That's all we had available back then. I'm probably going to be picking up a Brunton Eclipse sooner or later. Rock-solid, smooth action on the compass card and stops on a dime!

Compasses were my first love, and now, GPS's, and Geocaching. What do you think we'll have next?

How 'bout: "Location-determining-through-relative-juxtaposition-to-the-nearest-particle/wave-of-weak-nuclear-force?"

--Spoken from a man who, because he can not bend over, has had to develop the ability to psychically tie his shoes. Ooommmm.

Warm regards,

DementoFishe icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

196939_600.gif