Driving GPS That Can Also be Used for GC'ing

I'm looking to buy a GPS that I can also use for GC'ing. I already have a handheld and am quite satisfied with it. I originally just wanted to get a gps for my car, but then I started thinking that if I got one that I could easily download gc'es to, maybe those great guardrail caches along powertrails would be easier to locate, without looking at the tiny screen on my handheld.

Looking for opinions (pros and cons) on the best driving gps, for me to get...that I can also put gc'es on as well, by direct download from gc site. Thanks for your help...in advance. :)

I'm looking to buy a GPS that I can also use for GC'ing. I already have a handheld and am quite satisfied with it. I originally just wanted to get a gps for my car, but then I started thinking that if I got one that I could easily download gc'es to, maybe those great guardrail caches along powertrails would be easier to locate, without looking at the tiny screen on my handheld.

Looking for opinions (pros and cons) on the best driving gps, for me to get...that I can also put gc'es on as well, by direct download from gc site. Thanks for your help...in advance. :)

The garmin Montana is the perfect all in one gps...

Garmin Nuvi 500/550 also are fully geocaching capable although they are older units. However, auto GPS suffer from things like shorter battery life, don't like to get wet, dropped etc... the Nuvi 500/550 series never caught on with geocachers. Not sure if Garmin still makes a modern line of auto GPS units that are geocaching friendly.

I have to agree with JakeTheSnake though, if you must have a all in one unit, the Montana while expensive, is your best bet.

I have a Montana 600 and I like it a lot! It has different profiles, and you can have more than one map on it. So, for example, in the automotive profile you can have it look like a nuvi with road maps. Then switch to geocaching profile and you can have too maps with the compass and cache on top or the side, maps are extra, though...

Just get a nice Nuvi for the car and keep using your handheld. The all-in-ones are expensive and not nearly as good as the dedicated car units.

I agree with Red90 on this. The Montana is not very optimized for any aspect in particular. The old saying goes, jack of all trades - master of none. A baseline Nuvi smokes the Montana for naviation and the 62 or even an eTrex outclasses the device for hiking (unless you normally hike with a brick on a lanyard around your neck in which case, carry on).

The ONE area the Nuvi falls down is when you are routing to a "next stage" in a geocache (for the rare cache that the next stage is far enough to require routing) as you have to sit there and punch it in. I have a Macro that loads 35,000 caches on my $30 eBay special Nuvi 265. When I'm on the trail I have a 5oz (barely noticable) eTrex 30 around my neck on the lanyard.

Same here....we have Nuvi 2450 for the car for travel and geocaching. We load it with the same PQ's we put in the handhelds (GSAK & macro). Nuvi to get you within parking distance and handheld GPS for searching at GZ.

No fumbling back-n-forth or clipping it on/off the car mount if you used one unit exclusively. Nuvi's can be bought fairly cheaply and many variations of them available.

Just get a nice Nuvi for the car and keep using your handheld. ...

... $30 eBay special Nuvi 265. ...

I've been thinking along the same lines. My GPSMap 62sc is not easy to use in a vehicle unless you have a navigator to operate it while you drive. I can't justify an expensive GPSr for the car but an eBay special sounds good. It would be worth $50 or so to have a unit with a big screen and optimized for road nav.

I've never really felt the need to have one purely for navigation. I'd primarily be using it to et me close to a cache, trailhead, parking location, etc. Most of the time, I know where I am going, but navigation to some of my service calls would be nice.

There are so many Nuvi models listed. Question is, which should I consider?

That's what I want to know too. WHICH gps for car navigation? and can I upload guardrail gc'es into it? I'm wanting the 5" screen in the car, but still plan to use my handheld to actually find the gc'es. TOMTOM or NUVI? Which is better? Can TOM TOM even do gc'es?

My criteria at the time was how little could I pay. I thought $30 was a pretty good deal.

My Nuvi 265 , as far as I know, does NOT read GPX files like Pocket Queries. But I don't care as I use GSAK to kick out all the caches as POI files - I have 35,000 loaded on my Nuvi at the moment. There are ways to make the caches show up at more zoom levels but they are not for the feint of heart.

Figure out a Nuvi that has the features you require, and don't worry pretty much all of them can have caches loaded on them one way or another. If you have a handheld with paperless geocaching support then all you really need is name and location which is easy to do with GSAK/POI.

My criteria at the time was how little could I pay. I thought $30 was a pretty good deal.

My Nuvi 265 , as far as I know, does NOT read GPX files like Pocket Queries. But I don't care as I use GSAK to kick out all the caches as POI files - I have 35,000 loaded on my Nuvi at the moment. There are ways to make the caches show up at more zoom levels but they are not for the feint of heart.

Figure out a Nuvi that has the features you require, and don't worry pretty much all of them can have caches loaded on them one way or another. If you have a handheld with paperless geocaching support then all you really need is name and location which is easy to do with GSAK/POI.

This is something I'll definitely take into consideration. I came across this thread because I was debating waiting for the Oregon 650's to be released or just purchase a Montana 650 that can be a hand held plus a car navigation. I don't hike a lot so the weight of the Montana wouldn't be a huge disadvantage.

This is something I'll definitely take into consideration. I came across this thread because I was debating waiting for the Oregon 650's to be released or just purchase a Montana 650 that can be a hand held plus a car navigation. I don't hike a lot so the weight of the Montana wouldn't be a huge disadvantage.

The new Oregons do have a nuvi mode similar to the Montana. It's a smaller screen and it will only beep at you instead of talking to you. However, the Montana is much easier to read in the car because of the bigger screen.

The new Oregons do have a nuvi mode similar to the Montana. It's a smaller screen and it will only beep at you instead of talking to you. However, the Montana is much easier to read in the car because of the bigger screen.

Heck my eTrex 30 can draw the map Nuvi style and beep. I just found it easier to "in 300 metres, turn left onto Winston Churchill Boulevard, then keep right". (Also the tiny eTrex screen is a bit hard to follow).

I do agree the new Oregon's will be a great GPS - but for screen size and ease of reading you're not going to beat a Nuvi (or Montana) size screen.

Heck my eTrex 30 can draw the map Nuvi style and beep. I just found it easier to "in 300 metres, turn left onto Winston Churchill Boulevard, then keep right". (Also the tiny eTrex screen is a bit hard to follow).

I do agree the new Oregon's will be a great GPS - but for screen size and ease of reading you're not going to beat a Nuvi (or Montana) size screen.

I agree, can't beat the screen size and voice. It's a tossup to wait for the Oregon 650 and maybe find a cheap dedicated nuvi for the car or get the Montana 650? Decisions decisions...

Edited by Team-Facetious

Yes, the etrex can draw a map, but the Oregon looks like a tiny nuvi complete with the speed limit sign and everything. I'm not disagreeing with you on anything though. It's no substitute for a nuvi or a Montana, but it is much better than an etrex or a 62 for road navigation.

Yes, the etrex can draw a map, but the Oregon looks like a tiny nuvi complete with the speed limit sign and everything. I'm not disagreeing with you on anything though. It's no substitute for a nuvi or a Montana, but it is much better than an etrex or a 62 for road navigation.

Ah yes forgot about the speed limit sign thing. Can you blame me though? I live in Canada where we have, what, three roads with the speed limit listed in Garmin's maps .... laughing.gif

Every time I drive to the USA I think I got a new GPS at the border with the new things that pop up .....

I agree, can't beat the screen size and voice. It's a tossup to wait for the Oregon 650 and maybe find a cheap dedicated nuvi for the car or get the Montana 650? Decisions decisions...

The defining factor will be - are you willing to load your GPS twice, or would that annoy you. If running two GSAK exports (one for the handheld, then again for the Nuvi) bothers you, then you might find the Oregon 6x0 to be a better compromise. For me, I bought an eTrex 30 and a Nuvi and had enough left over that it was a significant savings.

I don't want to have to waste time with GSAK or any other processing that I don't do for my handheld. I just want to dump the PQ results or however I downloaded the caches in to the auto unit and have the location show up. I don't really care about descriptions, etc. I can get that from the 62 if I need it.

I don't want to have to waste time with GSAK or any other processing that I don't do for my handheld. I just want to dump the PQ results or however I downloaded the caches in to the auto unit and have the location show up. I don't really care about descriptions, etc. I can get that from the 62 if I need it.

I'd say you're the target market for the Montana series.

Nope... unless I can get one for $30.

One $400 GPSr is enough.

I don't mind loading the .gpx file twice, I just don't want to have to process it or create a special file for a second GPSr. I want to put he same file in my 62sc and whatever else I get.

Nope... unless I can get one for $30.

One $400 GPSr is enough.

I don't mind loading the .gpx file twice, I just don't want to have to process it or create a special file for a second GPSr. I want to put he same file in my 62sc and whatever else I get.

To get a Nuvi for $30, I had to eBay an older model. That doesn't read GPX files natively. To load 35,000 caches on it believe me there is a couple software pieces doing processing.

So .... good luck!

Ah yes forgot about the speed limit sign thing. Can you blame me though? I live in Canada where we have, what, three roads with the speed limit listed in Garmin's maps .... laughing.gif

Every time I drive to the USA I think I got a new GPS at the border with the new things that pop up .....

With the current maps, at least 50% of the roads have speed limits around here. There are a lot of other features that are useful as well. But for $100, the screen size is worth it. Handhelds are too small.

With the current maps, at least 50% of the roads have speed limits around here. There are a lot of other features that are useful as well. But for $100, the screen size is worth it. Handhelds are too small.

Well ok I was being a bit sarcastic there. I find speed limit coverage is good on the 400 series highways, and near Toronto. Most of the time my wife's (more than $30) Nuvi doesn't show speed limit information on the more rural routes outside the GTA though. It's not just Garmin either. Navigon on my iPhone gets better coverage across the border and better handling of highway interchanges - heck Navigon still doesn't announce Highway 407 in directions, just "take ramp right". That bugs me.

Back on topic I 100% agree that following a Nuvi is much better than following on a handheld. If I could load GPX files or POIs in Navigon (or any other iPhone app with turn by turn) I likely wouldn't bother with the Nuvi either. The newest GeoSphere - via the Geocaching Live API - can send waypoints to Apple Maps or Google Maps on my device so I may switch over to that to skip loading the Nuvi step.

I use GSAK and load 3 PQs of about 650 caches every Thursday into my Nuvi 255w and my 650t, they both show all the info and 5 logs and it takes less then 5 minutes to load both units

Good info...I'm just getting info today,,,I'll be getting started in a few days...very excited...

I just have a few quick questions if you can help ??

You use GSAK and load 3 PQs of about 650 caches)))) and you do that with your Nuvi 255w and your 650t ????

what is GSAK What is a PQs Is the Nuvi 255w a vehicle unit What is a 650t

Thanks for your help..

I use a Nuvi 255W plus handhelds Oregon and PN40 for the two of us.

I guess everyone knows the Pilotsnipes has stopped working for the NUVI. I ended up using a German one [nuvifavoriteexport.gsk] for now on the NUVI. This is OK, since now I have a PN40 plus and Oregon 450 to give me detailed information. Using GSAK [v7] of course.

BTW, car navigation is so important for geocaching.

I use a Nuvi 255W plus handhelds Oregon and PN40 for the two of us.

I guess everyone knows the Pilotsnipes has stopped working for the NUVI. I ended up using a German one [nuvifavoriteexport.gsk] for now on the NUVI. This is OK, since now I have a PN40 plus and Oregon 450 to give me detailed information. Using GSAK [v7] of course.

BTW, car navigation is so important for geocaching.

There is a new Macro that work great. You just need to pay for the new version of GSAK 8. I just tested it and it is a direct replacement for the old pilotsnipes.