Different prices of Premium Membership

Tschakko

Hello there,

I just noticed, that the prices of the premium membership do vary depending on the region you live in. I will move to the amercias soon and so I tried two different countries.

Germany would be 29.99 Euros per year and in America it would only be 29.99 Dollars. That´s almost an additional 10 Dollars for Europeans.

Does anyone know why this would be appropriate? I have to say that I do feel a bit discriminated and disappointed. I really doubt, that the income levels do differ that much...

Well, if they do cover VAT, then they should be based in Europe, as they can not cover European VAT if based in US... If I buy geocoins in the US I do not have to pay more VAT than US citizens either... Just if customs get the letter and cover here...

Also the VAT here would be 19% which equals about 5 Dollars, not 10 as they addded. I doubt that the VAT in the US is another 33% of what you buy.

Also in times of credit cards and paypal it is possible for us to pay in Dollars very easy and not that expensively.

Thank you for your guesses, but all these arguments do not account for an additional 10 Dollars that they expect us to pay over here.

As for me, I decided not to buy the premium membership... I will think about it if I will, when I am over there, but I doubt it... For a company that is promoting a game that´s supposed to get people all over the world closer together this inequality is not a very great move... I am not going to support this policy...

They just try to make money, nothing more... This is ok, as a website does cost money to maintain, but they should take an equal amount of money from all users that want to purchase a premium membership...

The new pricing eliminates bank fees for geocachers outside the of the US, as you now are able to pay in your local currency and do not have to pay a transaction fee. More importantly, as Lil Devil mentioned, VAT is now included in the price.

Did I miss something? Why is a US based company charging VAT unless they have a presence in Europe?

The new pricing eliminates bank fees for geocachers outside the of the US, as you now are able to pay in your local currency and do not have to pay a transaction fee. More importantly, as Lil Devil mentioned, VAT is now included in the price.

Did I miss something? Why is a US based company charging VAT unless they have a presence in Europe?

That´s what I am saying too... It´s just rediculous... There is no sane explanation for this inequality...

Just keep charging dollars as before and keep the price the same for everyone!

That´s what I am saying too... It´s just rediculous... There is no sane explanation for this inequality...

If Groundspeak has a base in the EU and an EU VAT registration number then the inequality is a matter of law rather than anything else, just like US companies charge sales tax to buyers from states where the company has a presence.

If Groundspeak does not have an EU VAT registration number it's hard to see why they are charging VAT in the first place. If they don't have a presence in the EU there's no reason for them to have an EU VAT registration number.

If VAT is being charged I for one will want an itemised VAT receipt showing the registration number and the VAT accounted separately.

Moun10bike is a Groundspeak lackey. I think it's safe to say that his post is Groundspeak's position, and not just some random cacher's explanation. If you have follow up questions based on his post, it might make more sense to follow up with his post rather than discarding it as "rediculous [sic]."

Moun10bike is a Groundspeak lackey. I think it's safe to say that his post is Groundspeak's position, and not just some random cacher's explanation. If you have follow up questions based on his post, it might make more sense to follow up with his post rather than discarding it as "rediculous [sic]."

I am sorry, but it is rediculous! As I stated as a response on that thread (which you might read above), even if they where charging German VAT this would not add up to an additional 10 Dollars. Just for your information: VAT i Germany is 19% which would be a bit more that 5 Dollars. If they take European VAT as for example ebay does take on their fees, this would be 15% which would be even less than in Germany itself.

As you can see the argument of VAT being added is not true, even if Groundspeak had a European company.

Edited by Tschakko

Just to make a long story short: Could you please name as the EU VAT registration number of Groundspeak if there is one. Or the VAT registration number of the European country that Groundspeak is based in?

Thank you very much.

Digital content, like subscriptions, consumed in the EU is subject to VAT. I'm sorry, but we will not be posting our EU VAT registration.

This just is not true, I am sorry to say this...

And as I stated before: Even if it were to be true, it does not amount to a 33% higher price than in the US.

Digital content, like subscriptions, consumed in the EU is subject to VAT. I'm sorry, but we will not be posting our EU VAT registration.

This just is not true, I am sorry to say this...

And as I stated before: Even if it were to be true, it does not amount to a 33% higher price than in the US.

Ok, I have done some research... As it seems there is a taxation on these services, even though they are not based in the EU. But this is already in place ever since 2003. Furthermore the quote differs between 15 and 25% depending on the country the customer lives in.

Still: This does not amount up to the 33% that Europeans have to pay right now.

Furthermore, it shows the price og 30$ on the website until u decide to purchase, then it changes to € which is quite a bit of money more than 30$.

I stay with my opinion, that it just does not seem right as it is right now... The tax was not a problem all theses years... Why now, and why does no one say a word before doing the changes...

I see the price discrepancy not as some being charged a higher price, but as those living in a certain location receiving a discount. :ph34r:

This would be a system that would be ok, but then it should be based on incomelevels... And US and Canada are definetely no countries that would need such a discount... I would give the discount to some countries in Africa or Asia or South America... There is even some European countries which would deserve this. I think of Romania for example or Greece...

The communication on this is just lacking... It does not all fit together...

I am sorry, but it is rediculous!

That's reeediculous.

It's OK to increase the price from time to time regarding inflation,

but that's an increase of more than 30%.

It's not about some Euros/Dollars, I spend much more in Cache equipment,

gas, trade items and so on,

the justification is strange. In germany's greatest board we have a discussion

about sense and nonsense of Premium Membership, and as I'm thinking about it,

I do not really need it, it's Ok, there are some nice features, but I'm not

sure if it's worth 30 Euros.

Bank fees?

Let me see: I can pay via credit card or via Paypal.

Receiving money via Paypal costs the same, no matter where the money comes from.

Paying via CC doesn't cost any bank fees. The Dollar amount will be converted into and charged in "home" currency. That's all.

And: Which European country charges 30% VAT?

BTW: It seems not to have any VAT outside of EU. Strange, isn't it?

Last year my bank account was charged by about 23€ for 30$ (paid via paypal). There are no fees!

There are various amounts of VAT in each country of the EU, but everywehre the amount (29,99€) is the same. Why? The amount for a PM in Switzerland is still 30$.

You should think about your price-policy urgently!

btw: i.e. in the Czech Repubic or Poland, there is no € ;-)

Edited by _Dani_

Also ich musste bisher noch irgendwelche Bankgebühren oder ähnliches zahlen. Paypal rechnet sauber nach aktuellem Wechselkurs um und fertig. Demzufolge halte ich die doch recht fadenscheinige Begründung, man wolle den Kunden Gebühren sparen, indem man sie in ihrer Heimatwährung zahlen lässt für einen ziemlich schwachen Versuch, hier die Kuh hinten herum einfach ein wenig mehr zu melken. Groundspeak weiß recht genau, das die europäischen Geocacher und hier speziell die deutschen, die ja den weltweit zweitgrößten Markt darstellen, ohnehin nur kurz meckern und dann am Ende doch alles schlucken. Und wenn tatsächlich zwei oder drei Mann künftig auf die Premiummitgliedschaft verzichten, dann wird das durch die freche Erhöhung von 23% ganz locker über die anderen kompensiert.

Nach Alternativen sieht sich ja sowieso keiner um, und das weiß Groundspeak ganz genau...

So since you state that VAT is now included - what is the exact percentage of VAT you are adding?

And please don't worry about the fees we'll have to pay - better worry about implementing features your users really wanted in the first place, or about bringing out an update which doesn't break at least three other features for a change. Seems like the testers really did a lot of (anything but) testing for the latest update - as so often.

Sorry for the hash tone here, but this really seems to get more and more ridiculous by the time, and GS know they can do more or less whatever they like, because there's no real competitor out there. And even if there would be - no one easily wants to leave behind all the caching history he has gathered here...

Edit to add:

To be clear, only new/nonrecurring members will be paying the new rates. If you have a recurring membership, you are locked in at the rates you have always been paying.

What if we now change from non-recurring to recurring?

And why wasn't something like this announced a bit more prominent?

Edited by java.lang

To be clear, only new/nonrecurring members will be paying the new rates. If you have a recurring membership, you are locked in at the rates you have always been paying.

Und? Das ändert trotzdem nichts an der Tatsache, das hier je nach Herkunft unterschiedliche Preise verlangt werden, und das mit einer Begründung, die absolut unhaltbar ist. Denn auch Neukunden zahlen bei Paypal bzw. mit Kreditkarte keine Bankgebühren.

This makes the VAT argument even more unbelievable...

If Groundspeak wants to earn more money, then communicate it properly and charge everybody equal! Everything I heard so fare are just lame excuses!

That's greedy guys! :mad:

And you really think that we believe your arguments? Shame on you.

So now I am sure that I will not prolong my PM.

This is the only way to show you that the party is over.

GC is going down anyway, so all hands abandon ship!

By the Way: did you ever think that we are your customers?

Edited by EinNorder

This makes the VAT argument even more unbelievable...

If Groundspeak wants to earn more money, then communicate it properly and charge everybody equal! Everything I heard so fare are just lame excuses!

Premium in Europa teurer als USA! - Will man uns für doof verkaufen? Preiserhöhung um 23% bzw. 7 EUR nur für Europäer! (auch wenn ich nicht glaube, dass da einer reinschaut...)

If you convert it to Dollars it´s an increase of 33%

so recurring members don't have to pay taxes and they have to deal with this "expensive" bank fees?

Dear GC,

there ist an great missunderstanding in your acting:

Please notice - we do not need YOU - you need us. OUR community, OUR Caches, OUR country, OUR money.

If WE descide today to close, there will be nothing to win (and to earn) for you in whole Germany tomorrow.

Wouldnt ist be cleverer for you, to realize this and to tread us like friends and compagnions than as fools?

Greets

Der Zappo

Edited by Der Zappo

OK, let's have some perspective.

Groundspeak does not levy this VAT on us EU citizens, our home countries do, so complaining to Groundspeak would be efforts directed in the wrong direction.

A tax which in theory we have been liable to pay for the last 10 years, but we are only now paying. We've had quite a freebie this past decade.

I've done some sums (using our UK membership as an example), if we were to renew our PM membership now, the Sterling equivalent of $29.99 would be £19.63. Add on the 20% VAT that, I would emphasise, Groundspeak is not levying but our governments are, that gives £23.55. I was quoted on GC.com's website tonight at £24.99.

OK, so I would be keen to hear from GS where the £1.44 goes, but we spend far more than that looking for petrol per week to get to most caches. That's a fraction of the cost of the a GPS.

EDIT: Granted, I would like to have seen a more frank and timely announcement from Groundspeak.

Edited by Beach_hut

It seems to me that Groundspeak once again lacks communication with its customers...

The attempts to explain the difference in price for EU customers (and maybe other region outside US) are not convincing.

What is happening Groundspeak? Are you sick of your customers and supporters outside US? I just renewed my membership and the price was the usual, and I would easily accept a raise but not this way as it seems to be - only for some and not for all.

Groundspeak does not levy this VAT on us EU citizens, our home countries do, so complaining to Groundspeak would be efforts directed in the wrong direction.

A tax which in theory we have been liable to pay for the last 10 years, but we are only now paying. We've had quite a freebie this past decade.

I've done some sums (using our UK membership as an example), if we were to renew our PM membership now, the Sterling equivalent of $29.99 would be £19.63. Add on the 20% VAT that, I would emphasise, Groundspeak is not levying but our governments are, that gives £23.55. I was quoted on GC.com's website tonight at £24.99.

OK, so I would be keen to hear from GS where the £1.44 goes, but we spend far more than that looking for petrol per week to get to most caches. That's a fraction of the cost of the a GPS.

It´s not about a higher price... It´s about the lame excuses which just are not more than excuses. They had to pay the VAT the last 10 years to the governments too, so this is not the reason.

It´s a company, nothing more, you can´t tell me they gifted the VAT to us for 10 years. If the VAT were the issue it would have been back in 2003 when the law went in place, not now...

But you will have PM-fee and VAT separately on your bills + your tax registration included, as german law requires it?

I honestly doubt the $=€-policy has anything to do with VAT or banking charges. Just another cheap trick to raise your profit, which is generated by your MEMBERS. What´s next?!

TRADE FAIR - TRADE EQUAL Groundspeak!

Edited by DO1MET

It´s not about a higher price... It´s about the lame excuses which just are not more than excuses. They had to pay the VAT the last 10 years to the governments too, so this is not the reason.

It´s a company, nothing more, you can´t tell me they gifted the VAT to us for 10 years. If the VAT were the issue it would have been back in 2003 when the law went in place, not now...

We're not in a position to speculate about Groundspeak's tax affairs, being as they are a private company, but your post above from the European Commission's website does clearly state that VAT is liable, so why is VAT not the issue again?

You did miss off the last sentence of my quote I added later, where I did add that I agreed the communication could have been better. Poorly handled yes, excuse no.

Why can't I choose to pay in US dollars?

If I were to renew my premium membership, I would have to pay £24.99, but if I payed in dollars, I would only be paying less than £20 (inlcuding fees).

I am seriously considering not renewing on principal, since I will not support any company who tries to rip off their UK (and other countries) customers.

Please give us the option to pay in US dollars, without having to supply a US address.

Why can't I choose to pay in US dollars?

If I were to renew my premium membership, I would have to pay £24.99, but if I payed in dollars, I would only be paying less than £20 (inlcuding fees).

I am seriously considering not renewing on principal, since I will not support any company who tries to rip off their UK (and other countries) customers.

Please give us the option to pay in US dollars, without having to supply a US address.

It's not the currency that comes into it, I'm afraid. It's the taxman.

Beach_hut is correct; the VAT is something that the EU requires, not something that we have imposed. Yes, the change has led to a price increase overseas, and was decided on to allow for a buffer with ever-changing exchange rates and the like. As for where the extra £1.44 goes at this time, those decisions are made above my pay grade! :) In any case, if you currently have a recurring Geocaching Premium Membership, we will honor the price with which you signed up.

They had to pay the VAT the last 10 years to the governments too, so this is not the reason. It´s a company, nothing more, you can´t tell me they gifted the VAT to us for 10 years.

I'm sorry to say, but that is exactly the case. We have been working with the EU to come into compliance and this change reflects that effort.

You are definitely correct, however, that this could have been communicated much better, and for that we are sorry. The team is discussing ways to do better as I type this.

We're not in a position to speculate about Groundspeak's tax affairs, being as they are a private company, but your post above from the European Commission's website does clearly state that VAT is liable, so why is VAT not the issue again?

You did miss off the last sentence of my quote I added later, where I did add that I agreed the communication could have been better. Poorly handled yes, excuse no.

I say it´s an excuse and does not count because this tax has to be paid by Groundspeak to the EU ever since 2003. As you said it´s a private company. If VAT would have been an issue they would have dealt with it in 2003. No company does wait 10 years. The VAT had been inclueded all these years and it certainly did not rise just recently.

Furthermore I already said, that if it were for VAT reasons it would not have been 10 Dollars more. It would have been just about 5 Dollars. There is no European country that has a VAT of 33%.

Edited by Tschakko

Beach_hut is correct; the VAT is something that the EU requires, not something that we have imposed. Yes, the change has led to a price increase overseas, and was decided on to allow for a buffer with ever-changing exchange rates and the like. As for where the extra £1.44 goes at this time, those decisions are made above my pay grade! :) In any case, if you currently have a recurring Geocaching Premium Membership, we will honor the price with which you signed up.

They had to pay the VAT the last 10 years to the governments too, so this is not the reason. It´s a company, nothing more, you can´t tell me they gifted the VAT to us for 10 years.

I'm sorry to say, but that is exactly the case. We have been working with the EU to come into compliance and this change reflects that effort.

You are definitely correct, however, that this could have been communicated much better, and for that we are sorry. The team is discussing ways to do better as I type this.

Well, I still have my doubts.

If you decided to cover VAT, then just cover the VAT, not more than that. We can pay in Dollars easily, the exchangerate then is a problem of us not you.

The price then would be: 29.99$ minus the Washington State VAT (6.5 or 9.5%) plus VAT of the country the customer lives in (Germany 19% for example). This does not amount anywhere close to 29.99 Euros.

I am curious on the official statements...

I admit that this discussion marks the first time I am questioning my decision to be a PM. However while I am not qualified to contribute to the discussion on taxes etcpp, the question about the seeminlgy unexplained (unexplainable) exchange of curency signs leaves a foul taste...

Just out of curiosity... If I find a well-meaning US person that were to gift me a premium membership, would that person be charged the US$ equivalent of €29.99 or would they pay the 'regular' amount?

I realize that there might again be two answers... One from GS and one from the community, but please humor me. Both.

Best,

Thore

Why do you think you have to include VAT to sales to Europe? VAT has to be only included for sales inside the European union. Last time I checked the US didn't belong to the European union.

I think everyone would over here have welcomed the idea of being able to pay in Euros if you had either decided to apply the current exchange rate to each sale or if you had used a calculator and had calculated a fair price which is on the same level as the US price. 25 € vs. 30 $ would seem quite fair.

Atti

Edited by Atti

But if you're charging VAT on a product or service in the UK you are legally obliged by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs to supply a VAT receipt showing your VAT registration number, and the amount of VAT itemised. As Team Tsiri I will want a VAT receipt if I renew. So as you're obliged to give the VAT number to anyone paying for their membership why is it a secret?

But if you're charging VAT on a product or service in the UK you are legally obliged by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs to supply a VAT receipt showing your VAT registration number, and the amount of VAT itemised. As Team Tsiri I will want a VAT receipt if I renew. So as you're obliged to give the VAT number to anyone paying for their membership why is it a secret?

same law in Germany. the tax number has to be shown also on the Website.

30 Euros are currently about 39 USD. That is a difference of 30%.

VAT in Germany is 19% max, depending on the type of product.

And there wasn't even an e-mail from Groundspeak announcing the new price.

I had to find this thread by accident as it was mentioned in a different forum.

Well, then good bye Premium Membership.

I am not going to renew it when it will be due next month.

I admit that this discussion marks the first time I am questioning my decision to be a PM. However while I am not qualified to contribute to the discussion on taxes etcpp, the question about the seeminlgy unexplained (unexplainable) exchange of curency signs leaves a foul taste...

Just out of curiosity... If I find a well-meaning US person that were to gift me a premium membership, would that person be charged the US$ equivalent of €29.99 or would they pay the 'regular' amount?

I realize that there might again be two answers... One from GS and one from the community, but please humor me. Both.

Best,

Thore

An interesting question and concept.

Considering the discussion so far, I suspect the person paying for the membership would pay the price charged for where the membership would be 'consumed'. :(