The Waymarking Bug

xptwo

In this morning's paper, I read about how the City of Montgomery, Alabama, dedicated a new historical marker yesterday. I went by this morning, took photos, and submitted it as a new post this afternoon. It was approved and can now be visited. I'm beginning to think I may have been bitten by the Waymarking bug. I wonder if there is a cure for this.

If you are interested about the marker, you can visit "Bernard Whitehurst - Montgomery, AL" WMGWQK

David

What amazes me, is that so few waymarks are ever visited, at least in my area.

I know, I know, I read way earlier that it was much more common for folks to create waymarks than to visit them. One gander at my statistics will show that I am not common.

One of the things that got me into Waymarking was that (like the soggy paper game, as someone called it) it got me to visit locations and things that I may otherwise have missed -- driven by unheeding. Yes, the "vacation spot" waymarks have dozens of entries. But of the hundreds that I have visited in my NotW, only a handful have visits other than the lister and myself. And yet they are good things to see. Some of them are really cool Ozark places that are worth seeing even for the poor nonwaymarker...

Of the >100 waymarks I've posted, only 2 have been visited, and they are in vacation spots.

Ok, I admit it. I am odd or something. But I think folks are missing out by just looking for things to post as new waymarks without visiting the thousands that other folks have taken the time and effort to post.

<snip>

Of the >100 waymarks I've posted, only 2 have been visited, and they are in vacation spots.

Give it time. I find that my waymarks in some areas are visited much more than in other areas. I am up around 400 visits to my waymarks this month. There really aren't many waymarkers in your area thus you have to wait for someone to be traveling through.

<snip>

Give it time. I find that my waymarks in some areas are visited much more than in other areas. I am up around 400 visits to my waymarks this month. There really aren't many waymarkers in your area thus you have to wait for someone to be traveling through.

That goes without saying that I would have to wait some time before expecting any visits. I wasn't saying that. I was just saying that by comparison within my few posts, the only 2 that got visits so far are the vacation spot ones, as expected (per the point I was making).

But what about the hundreds of waymarks around here placed by GEO*Trailblazer 1. Many of these have been around since 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 with no visits (except him and me). And they are good waymarks.

It could be the area. But I have gone back to visit waymarks in other states and found no visits on really great waymarks that have been out for 5 years. 'Twould be interesting to find out what percent of waymarkers log what percent of visits. Like probably 15% of waymarkers log 95% of all visits or something. (Is there a way to determine that?)

Edited by MountainWoods

<snip>

If you have over 3,000 visits, let me know.

brwhiz 4721

onfire4jesus 3315

And Benchmark Blaster -- 4300+. :)

More not mentioned…

petendot 7588

Volcanoguy 6382

Chasing Blue Sky 6284

Queens Blessing 6279

The_Simpsons 6062

Brentorboxer 4722

Marine Biologist 4582

Mooroid 3684

debbado 3532

luzzi1971 3348

Lord Abercrombie 3683

run26.2 3217

ucdvicky 3177

<snip>

If you have over 3,000 visits, let me know.

brwhiz 4721

onfire4jesus 3315

And Benchmark Blaster -- 4300+. :)

More not mentioned…

petendot 7588

Volcanoguy 6382

Chasing Blue Sky 6284

Queens Blessing 6279

The_Simpsons 6062

Brentorboxer 4722

Marine Biologist 4582

Mooroid 3684

debbado 3532

luzzi1971 3348

Lord Abercrombie 3683

run26.2 3217

ucdvicky 3177

Yep, I'm on the "More not mentioned" list. And I have over three times more visits than posts. I enjoy visiting waymarks that others post and search them out where ever I go. I'd probably have many more IF I had more time while out in the playing field. With limited time, I generally have to prioritize the types of things I take pictures of - especially when I'm travelling. When I'm closer to home, I'll usually expand the categories I'm willing to photograph. I have to admit though, that when I'm visiting other peoples waymarks and taking pictures, it is a thrill when I get home and find that others have left some crumbs behind that I can post things in categories that they, for whatever reason, ignored, missed, or just didn't get around to posting. Yeah, if you think that there are few who visit waymarks, I'd be willing to bet that there are far fewer who don't have a backlog of pictures of waymarks just waiting to be submitted. I would also guess that the average backlog is huge!

But yes, you are correct, many of our created waymarks don't get visited and it does seem like the ones that get visited are in areas that would be considered "vacation spots". I would have to say that with the geocaches that I've hidden, there certainly isn't an even distribution of finds across them all. There are certainly some that are found much more often than others - and I'm not sure why some are more popular than others.

While I do like submitting waymarks, I realize that I have no control over whether they get visited. I just do the best I can and realize that it may just be for posterity. If they actually get visited, that's a bonus.

I have about 10 times the number of visits versus postings. When I go looking for a WM, I create my search list with: categories I'm interested in, icons I need for my stats and WMs without a visit. That usually ends up with a pretty good number of WMs to find.

It depends on where you live and travel. I have about five times the posts versus my visits, but I enjoy visiting and have visited as many as possible. There were not that many in the beginning and now there are only two left in my home region. I will get them sooner or later, but posting is clearly much easier where I live.

Since I made the 3,000+ list, I thought I would chime in.

I try to locate waymarks when traveling to get me out of the hotel and out on an adventure, wether in Texas or anywhere else. I'd have many more post if it was easier to do with an iPhone or GPSr. It is impossible to keep up with the find requirements when traveling. An app or an easier way to download waymark data would go a long way to making visits eazier to post. Twenty five downloads is a waste of time.

It such a pain to match up my pictures with the WMs after returning home of to find out I didn't get a picture of that one. I generally carry my GPSr and create a track of my meanderings so I can remember the WMs I visited and then log them from the house.

As to local WMs, I originally visited all I could in the greater Houston area and have been waiting for enough new ones to pop up to make it worth the time to venture out.

I recently found a website that is suppose to use you're iPhones location, skim WM data and let you post a visit with a photo to a WM while out on the street. I'm looking forward to giving it a try soon.

I gave up posting WMs because I ran into a couple of jerks who where reviewers and decided it wasn't worth it. So I just find them now.

Run26.2