Montana 600 and GSAK GPX Files

I have used a Garmin 60c handheld for years that finally died. I bought a new Montana 600 a couple of weeks ago and have been pleased with it. Took it to Las Vegas and downloaded just one PQ into it and did just fine. Today I pulled a bunch of PQ for a road trip tomorrow and find that it appears that I can download one PQ, but when I go to download the next PQ it overwrites the first one, so I can only download one PQ at a time. I can't find any settings in GSAK that have changed and when I go look on the Garmin removable drive in the computer when attached by USB only one GPX file shows up. Any idea how to fix this or circumvent it? Thanks for the help.

I'm not familiar with GSAK so may be off the mark here, but here goes anyway...

If you're exporting a PQ you'll most likely end up with a file called something.gpx - if you export another PQ and get another file with the same name you'll end up overwriting the first file, which is what you've described.

Try exporting your first PQ, rename "something.gpx" to "something else.gpx" and then export the second PQ. Now you should have two files with different names. Copy them both to your Montana and you should see all the caches in both queries.

If you're exporting a PQ you'll most likely end up with a file called something.gpx - if you export another PQ and get another file with the same name you'll end up overwriting the first file, which is what you've described.

Try exporting your first PQ, rename "something.gpx" to "something else.gpx" and then export the second PQ. Now you should have two files with different names. Copy them both to your Montana and you should see all the caches in both queries.

Thanks. I will try renaming the PQ's I have never had to do it before, but may need to with the new GArmin.

Thanks. I will try renaming the PQ's I have never had to do it before, but may need to with the new GArmin.

I also know nothing about GSAK but . . .

On my Montana from Easy GPS I get a file called "SendToGPS_4_16_2013_9_35_32_AM".

If I do another one, it's called "SendToGPS_4_16_2013_9_39_47_AM"

No overwriting or renaming involved. May be different if you're using GSAK.

This should work... it always has with my Delorme. :)

When setting up for a cycle ride, I would run a number of Pocket Queries, naming them for the area that I would be in sometime through that ride. Upon being in that particular area, I would simply open that particular named query. No muss, no fuss. There have been times that I have had up to 11 named queries on a single SD card.

I use GSAK to combine at least 6 weekly PQs and then export a single .gpx file named like "MyTotalCaches.gpx". Put all your PQs in a folder and go to File/Load GPS/LOC/ZIP File. Have the Load type option checked for "Folder". (Oh, un-check the "Use Defaults" button to give you all the options).

It will combine all the caches and you can run filters if needed. When done export to a .gpx of your name choice. I have %code written in the Waypoint name window to keep the proper cache name appearance. You can experiment with the various options in GSAK for exporting data.

I have used a Garmin 60c handheld for years that finally died. I bought a new Montana 600 a couple of weeks ago and have been pleased with it. Took it to Las Vegas and downloaded just one PQ into it and did just fine. Today I pulled a bunch of PQ for a road trip tomorrow and find that it appears that I can download one PQ, but when I go to download the next PQ it overwrites the first one, so I can only download one PQ at a time. I can't find any settings in GSAK that have changed and when I go look on the Garmin removable drive in the computer when attached by USB only one GPX file shows up. Any idea how to fix this or circumvent it? Thanks for the help.

I second team trsri as I use GSAK & have a Montana 600 and I came from a 60CSx as well. Just change the gpx file name before sending. Also, if you have maps, you can put several maps on one sd card and pick which ones you want by enabling & disabling them. You can have road for auto and too for geocaching. I thought that was super cool when I figured that one out!

hi

I am use the following Macro on GSAK call Garmin Export it export to the following GPS Oregon,Colorado,Dakota,GPSMap 62 78

see link GarminExport.gsk

I too use GSAK and maintain my own offline database, with PQs containing caches with changes in last 7 days and new caches added regularly. I don't tend to load PQs manually into my Montana, but just run the abovementioned GSAK macro to easily create my own custom GPX files. There is also a tickbox option with this method to choose a LARGER font for the cache text - very readable with my failing reading-sight in low light!

Good luck!