Urban Hides...

First, my heart goes out to the victims in Boston and their families, friends and loved ones. I also feel for the Bostonions in general, who now have to deal with what most be a sense of fear that there could be more devices in their city. And I suspect people all over must be thinking "Is my city next?"

With the events in Boston, should we, as a community, temporarily disable, and possibly temporarily remove, our urban hides, espeially ones in areas where large groups of people congregate? We have all read the news accounts of caches being investigated as bombs. I suspect things will only get worse with people on edge even more. People stopping, looking left and right, and quickly retrieving and stashing something in a bush, behind a park bench, under a payphone will now look doubly suspicious.

I have one "urban" hide in Newport, which I think I will disable, especially with tourist season fast approaching.

Thoughts?

I think anyone who'd urban cache in Boston right now is foolish.

Tensions high and, "that guy just put something that looks like a pipe bomb into that bush" kinda thing may get you hurt.

And temp disable hides around the City's probably a smart thing to do.

- Some just have to get that smiley and sometimes common sense isn't part of the plan.

But with many looking for more, easier, faster ways to get-that-smiley, I don't picture urban hides dying out anytime soon.

Just last month I was right near where the bombs went off.. I found two caches within 500 ft of where the bombs went off.. GC2W302 which is right off of Boylston and I actually grabbed (GC1GQZ1) which is literally right outside Old South Church on Boylston under a railing leading into the entrance which can definitely be seen as suspicious when someone replaces the hide a key there.. makes you think twice about hiding/finding caches in the city.. definitely something to be aware about..

Now that being said, there are other options for urban caching.. there are 2 Wherigo caches in boston common and there was an earthcache right at Old South Church.

Now, I don't think urban caching will be eliminated entirely, but there definitely is a new wave of caution going through at least me while I am urban caching.

Just use common sense when placing hides. If you are questioning it now, it never shoulda been there in the first place.

Times change. What may have been OK two days ago, may no longer be OK.

Oh come on now. How often do we see a forum post about a cache being blown up by the bomb squad? The hand-wringing about caches placed on electrical equipment and so forth? We've been hyper-anxious about "suspicious packages" dang well since 9/11 AKA the earliest days of Geocaching before you or I even started. So no, I don't think times have changed.

Just use common sense when placing hides. If you are questioning it now, it never shoulda been there in the first place.

Oh come on now. How often do we see a forum post about a cache being blown up by the bomb squad? The hand-wringing about caches placed on electrical equipment and so forth? We've been hyper-anxious about "suspicious packages" dang well since 9/11 AKA the earliest days of Geocaching before you or I even started. So no, I don't think times have changed.

So go poking around a guard rail or lamp post in Boston right now, and see how quickly a LEO confronts you. I bet it will be a lot quicker than it was last week.

That's nonsense. Caches should be placed in such a way that they're always okay.

Unfortunately, there is a human response to do "something" to "improve" safety after tragic events, when often nothing could've been done to prevent it. London is already ramping up security near tourist attractions and hotels while no one even knows who caused this particular tragedy and why.

If we give in to the fear now, we've lost -- even if the bombs were not the work of a terrorist. That's another thing. People jump straight to conclusions about who did it. I'll await the results of the FBI and police investigation.

I'll keep caches and have no intention of disabling my urban hides. I do think it's a good idea to be more sensitive about people feeling what you're doing is suspicious. Don't keep what you're doing secret and remember to ask permission in the first place.

If you change what you do as a result of a terrorist act the terrorist wins.

I vote for temporarily reducing the 528 rule in urban areas so we can saturate the area and show our resolve to not be cowed.

Edited by Walts Hunting

That's nonsense. Caches should be placed in such a way that they're always okay.

Unfortunately, there is a human response to do "something" to "improve" safety after tragic events, when often nothing could've been done to prevent it. London is already ramping up security near tourist attractions and hotels while no one even knows who caused this particular tragedy and why.

If we give in to the fear now, we've lost -- even if the bombs were not the work of a terrorist. That's another thing. People jump straight to conclusions about who did it. I'll await the results of the FBI and police investigation.

I'll keep caches and have no intention of disabling my urban hides. I do think it's a good idea to be more sensitive about people feeling what you're doing is suspicious. Don't keep what you're doing secret and remember to ask permission in the first place.

That is a very reasonable viewpoint. Good post.

Greater awareness that our searching/hiding behavior is often perceived as suspicious by the muggle public is in order. We shouldn't voluntarily restrict our activity as a knee-jerk reaction to this incident.

I went caching at night with 2 cops last year while on a business trip to Milwaukee. We were asked what we were doing at the first stop. Without hesitation I said Geocaching, expecting to have to explain it. The person said, "That's what I thought," and continued on their jog.

My point. Be honest and forthcoming without hesitation and don't assume everyone is ignorant to the activity.

Just last month I was right near where the bombs went off.. I found two caches within 500 ft of where the bombs went off.. GC2W302 which is right off of Boylston and I actually grabbed (GC1GQZ1) which is literally right outside Old South Church on Boylston under a railing leading into the entrance which can definitely be seen as suspicious when someone replaces the hide a key there.. makes you think twice about hiding/finding caches in the city.. definitely something to be aware about..

Looks like the cache owner for GC1GQZ1 has temporarily disabled it, in light of yesterday's events.

I suspect that there won't be a problem with urban caching after an appropriate pause. People will go back to their ordinary lives after an appropriate period of reflection; this will include how much suspicion they view strangers with on the street looking at lampposts and newspaper boxes.

First, my heart goes out to the victims in Boston and their families, friends and loved ones. I also feel for the Bostonions in general, who now have to deal with what most be a sense of fear that there could be more devices in their city. And I suspect people all over must be thinking "Is my city next?"

With the events in Boston, should we, as a community, temporarily disable, and possibly temporarily remove, our urban hides, espeially ones in areas where large groups of people congregate? We have all read the news accounts of caches being investigated as bombs. I suspect things will only get worse with people on edge even more. People stopping, looking left and right, and quickly retrieving and stashing something in a bush, behind a park bench, under a payphone will now look doubly suspicious.

I have one "urban" hide in Newport, which I think I will disable, especially with tourist season fast approaching.

Thoughts?

no need to disable people have common sense well most

Thoughts?

no need to disable people have common sense well most

*Some* people have common sense. "Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire.

Thoughts?

You've been awarded the eye-roll of the week award.

This post has it spot on as far as I'm concerned. (Edit, and the same goes for common sense while searching too)

Edited by Beach_hut

I wouldn't say so. Over the past 13 years that geocaching has been around, this isn't the first incident of this nature that has taken place. It's not as if geocaching wasn't aware of the threat of terrorism and how we may inadvertently cause suspicion by placing and searching for hides prior to what happened in Boston.

In the UK, the reviewers ask that for urban hides, anything larger than a 35mm is marked up and/or has clear sides, and there is a clear hint on the cache page so the finders can go straight to it if need be, to avoid looking suspicious by searching. I think that's about right.

"just use comon sens when placing hides."

I think this is very true. If I need to "use stealth - high muggle area", then it is maybe not a good location for a cache or the CO should provide detailed guidance on how to best approach the cache without having to search for too long and look suspicious. Don't get me wrong: I am a big fan of tricky cache hides but not in areas where I would cause a lot of attention if I stay too long.

I think urban caches have a different focus and a different audience compared to hides in the woods.

The attractiveness of a cache increases based on the location, the hide, the story behind it, but not based on the likelyhood of being taken to custody.

Just my two cents.

danboss

Edited by danboss

nonaeroterraqueous

Would've helped to mention that.

:huh: Why, because people are more paranoid in California?

No, but it would be pretty relevant if you happen to live in Boston, or for that matter, any major city in the U.S. Even though I don't live in a major city myself I'm still cognizant of the emotional impact an incident like this can have, and frankly find it rather insulting when some dismiss the emotional impact an event like this can have. One of the casualties of yesterdays event was an 8 year old boy. As the father of a 9 year old boy, perhaps I'm a little more sensitive to what happened. I have tentative plans to go to NYC this November with my son to attend the Thanksgiving day parade and to Madison Square Garden to watch the Cornell Hockey team play against Boston University. The incident yesterday gives me pause to consider doing that, and I think reasonable to take a break from urban caches (unless increasing your find count is really important :ph34r:), especially in cities that are currently under an elevated state of security.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

No, but it would be pretty relevant if you happen to live in Boston.

The title of the thread refers to "Urban Hides," not Boston hides. I guess I assumed that's what we were talking about, that being the name of the thread, and all. The point is that cities across the United States are generally quite paranoid at the moment. I'm not going to apollogize for being on-topic.

"just use comon sens when placing hides."

I think this is very true. If I need to "use stealth - high muggle area", then it is maybe not a good location for a cache or the CO should provide detailed guidance on how to best approach the cache without having to search for too long and look suspicious.

I don't believe a CO has an obligation to "provide detailed guidance on how to approach a cache". Funny, common sense was mentioned. A little of that goes a long way when finding too. Like I said in post #2, if I run into a problem retrieving, it's a reflection on my finding skills, not the CO.

Terrorist acts are only effective on those who agree to be terrorized.

I would agree that it might be a good idea to cut back on the Geocaching in Boston for a week or two.

I'm not going to stop riding a train, flying in a plane, visiting major landmarks, or going on vacation. However, I'm not going to be caching anywhere near an active crime scene investigation anytime soon.

The origin of acting stealthily was due to the fact that caches once had items of value in them. It really doesn't make sense to behaving that way anymore for urban micros. Until the bomber is caught, urban hides could pose a problem.

I think you confuse acting stealthy and being stealthy.

Yep. Acting "stealthy" is a good way to raise a red flag with anyone paying attention to their surroundings.

It's unnatural behavior in an urban environment and will focus a curious person's attention on you.

I cached with some cops and asked them why other cachers seem to be constantly questioned by police where I had never been approached in 10 years of caching. The answer I got was that most people avoid eye contact with police officers and a great many "turds" (their term) try to look normal or act stealthy hoping they will pass on bye which only creates focus on themselves.

If you want to BE stealthy own your activity and go about it as if you belong there. Props help at times but you really need to gauge appropriateness before using them. I keep a clipboard and a bright yellow safety vest in my car as well as trash bags and 3 foot pick-up/reach tool for picking up trash. I've only needed them to be "stealthy" a few times. Most of the time they are not needed. However, there is not much that is less interesting than someone picking up trash.

nonaeroterraqueous

Would've helped to mention that.

:huh: Why, because people are more paranoid in California? By the way, it turned out to be nothing but a very suspicious piece of trash. The nearest geocache was half a block away, but they haven't discovered it, yet.

You could have directed them over there while they were out....

I think it would be wise to let things settle down for a while before hiding or searching for urban hide caches. The last thing the port needs right now is attention. The scenario of of a person hiding or searching for a cache near a trashcan right now or a creative container in an urban area isn't going to end with a LEO and a cacher slapping each others backs and hearty laughing. Everyone is ultra sensitive right now and sadly, there are cachers in this very forums who can't see past their own GPS to realize that now isn't the time.

I equate some cachers like gun owners who will rush out just to be spiteful in the face of a tragedy.

I think it would be wise to let things settle down for a while before hiding or searching for urban hide caches. The last thing the port needs right now is attention. The scenario of of a person hiding or searching for a cache near a trashcan right now or a creative container in an urban area isn't going to end with a LEO and a cacher slapping each others backs and hearty laughing. Everyone is ultra sensitive right now and sadly, there are cachers in this very forums who can't see past their own GPS to realize that now isn't the time.

I equate some cachers like gun owners who will rush out just to be spiteful in the face of a tragedy.

The Boston bombs were horrific, and so are those that go off around the globe almost daily. This is a international forum.

Bold #1: Don't think that's true...take a CNN break.

Bold #2: Huh?