Getting Permission

Started caching a couple of months ago. I'm between jobs and caching has helped me keep my sanity! I haven't placed any caches because I though I'd be relocating, and didn't want to abandon them. Found out recently that I won't be relocating, so I need to hide a few. I've read the rules about placing caches, and I am left wondering - just how many people actually get permission from property owners/managers to place their cache?

Thanks!

Depends. I imagine if its a very obvious private business, most would...but if its in a shopping center or a place folks come and go, probably not as much.

All our state parks now in Washington require permission. City parks, with a few exceptions, I doubt many are asking for permissions.

Depends where a lot. Rock wall on the side of the road, who is going to ask, and if so, who?

I have asked permission for every cache I have placed. I contacted our city park department. They have been great to work with. Now, I just give them a heads up on where I have a cache hidden. the other places I contact at a time that isn't a peak time. Usually when you give a brief explanation of what you want to do you'll find out who you have to talk to. I would rather ask permission and get denied than to have a negative effect on geocaching. I also have made my local police department aware of the new hides. I can't say that has always worked well for me, lol

I have asked permission for every cache I have placed. I contacted our city park department. They have been great to work with. Now, I just give them a heads up on where I have a cache hidden. the other places I contact at a time that isn't a peak time. Usually when you give a brief explanation of what you want to do you'll find out who you have to talk to. I would rather ask permission and get denied than to have a negative effect on geocaching. I also have made my local police department aware of the new hides. I can't say that has always worked well for me, lol

^THIS^

I will do a fairly thorough search to see if a park or preserve has geocaching guidelines already in place. From the perspective of a person working at a forest preserve, I can tell you that people don't ask us before putting them out on our property that's open to the public, however a few miles up the road in the next county, there is a very strict permit process for forest preserves, even though it's also considered public land.

For roadside caches and in areas that are questionably "public" I've heard arguments both for and against. Me, I'd certainly seek permission if at all possible. There are plenty of resources available, from basic Google searches to tax assessor records and Plat Books with Public Land Survey Records.

It's my guess that out of about a thousand caches hidden in our local urban concrete jungle of shopping centers, strip malls, light industrial complexes, corner gas stations and office/medical building parking lots, maybe 5 have explicit permission, at least according to the cache pages. I wonder if this is true in other urban areas.

It's my guess that out of about a thousand caches hidden in our local urban concrete jungle of shopping centers, strip malls, light industrial complexes, corner gas stations and office/medical building parking lots, maybe 5 have explicit permission, at least according to the cache pages. I wonder if this is true in other urban areas.

That's what I have gathered from the urban caches in my neck of the woods (Chattanooga). However, I also have the ability to cache in some rural areas as well. From what I have read, I think I'll seek permission. If nothing else, it will keep me from hiding LP caches :lol: That's just in jest, I'll leave that to the other threads!

Thanks for your help folks.

I figure that's about right in our neck of the woods as well. I'm sure a few others ask but for the most part, i would bet i'm one of the few who routinely asks. Personally, i don't care for parking lot hides as i figure that 98% of them have no permission to be placed.

For the one cache i have hidden in front of the local Gander Mountain store, i did make sure to obtain permission. I had no intentions of placing it in the parking lot, but for grins, asked the store manager what he thought about a hide like that. He told me quickly that he wouldn't have given permission for it if that's what i had wanted to hide.

Hi rdtorres3,

I always ask for permission. I don't get turned down so often. In most cases when I get turned down there is a good reason, like it was a protected area which had no signes. No problem with that. Better be turned down than to get problems when people are searching for the cache. One issue with a cache can ruin more for geocaching than you can build up in 5 years.

When you work with local gouvernement and you build a relationship you will see you can get a lot of coorperation of the gouvernement to get caches placed. It is much better than hiding a cache secretly.

Same goes for national parks and nature parks. Although initially they were very sceptic regarding geocaching now a days it is more known and some rangers also do geocaching. Special attention needs to be taken so searching a geocache cannot damage nature. If you work with a ranger that should not be an issue. I even have very positive reactions from rangers and did get back suggestions where to place additional caches! There is even a new organization which contacted geocachers to make some caches to get the hikers off-trail!

Private land owner in general are more difficult to get a permission. But in general if you explain what you do and they will not get trouble and they can contact you in case of issues you will get a permission. But again it is better to be turned down than to get problems later.

Some tips: - Consult other geocachers in your area to find the right contact people

- Work together with other geocachers

- Try to get a positive on geocaching, like organizing a CITO event.

BTW, you say you NEED to hide some caches. There is no need. Only hide some if you WANT to hide. No problem of you don't place a hide.

Started caching a couple of months ago. I'm between jobs and caching has helped me keep my sanity! I haven't placed any caches because I though I'd be relocating, and didn't want to abandon them. Found out recently that I won't be relocating, so I need to hide a few. I've read the rules about placing caches, and I am left wondering - just how many people actually get permission from property owners/managers to place their cache?

Thanks!

I would say most get permission but most don't. You will find in geocachin that sometimes the cache with the most favorite points is actual illegal but people think its funny to go to it tresspass and give it a point.

I have explicit permission on several of my hides. Hides on property owned or managed by a private entity (bird sanctuary, land trust, etc). The vast majoirty of my caches are on state property (parks, management areas) where I know the state has an unwritten acceptance of caching on their properties (having worked with them on several occaions regarding caching).

Thanks!

I would say most get permission but most don't. You will find in geocachin that sometimes the cache with the most favorite points is actual illegal but people think its funny to go to it tresspass and give it a point.

???

Thanks!

???

I was starting to miss the Off Grid gems of wisdom for a few days. Glad to see she is back in the game. It is what keeps me coming back to the forums!

???

I can actually visualize the gears grinding in their head. :ph34r:

Hi rdtorres3,

BTW, you say you NEED to hide some caches. There is no need. Only hide some if you WANT to hide. No problem of you don't place a hide.

I understand completely, and I do want to hide some - just want to do it right and do what's best for the game.

Great info given (and some chuckles). I appreciate it. I've made some inquiries into getting permission for a couple of hides. This will be the route I take from now on.

???

why exactly would they be

???

Because it has to be "most get permission and some don't" or "some get permission but most don't."

You can't have most twice in such a statement.

???

Because it has to be "most get permission and some don't" or "some get permission but most don't."

Most people would agree with you, but most wouldn't. I for one thought the statement was absolutely clear but made no sense at all.

???

Most people would agree with you, but most wouldn't. I for one thought the statement was absolutely clear but made no sense at all.

I think what OffGrid was trying to say was "I wish I could say most people ask for permission. Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is most don't."

Locally, I think saying one out of a thousand have explicit permission is overly kind.

Thanks!

I've placed two caches in each of two parks and gotten permission. The one park is a township park that actually has a cache application form on the township website (no fee). People who place caches w/o permission anywhere run the risk of (1) reviewer denial and (2) later having to remove it because of a landowner complaint. I know of four local examples (and several mentioned on the forum) of the latter - the removal took place days, weeks or months later.

On the other hand, one local cacher here has placed several caches prominently on the property of businesses, right out in front, etc. They're places where he's a customer, and they said sure.

???

I think what OffGrid was trying to say was "I wish I could say most people ask for permission. Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is most don't."

Ah, ok, all clear now. Thanks!