Found one too many premium-only caches, I'm out of here..,

Did someone make April "protest about PMO caches" month? Seems like more threads than usual lately...

Its spring time and people are joining up and trying something new. Very normal this time of the year.

Where do you live? It is still full on winter here. We just had another dump of snow over the weekend... Oh for the good old days of global warming...

...you go to the street put your iPhone down and turn around and look back if someone has it in there hands its there's now. Like the Tupperware container once you put it down and leave it in the forest or where ever you can't sue someone call the cops nothing it is no longer in your hands so it is no longer your property.

There seems to be more and more people who think this way, but it isn't true. If you find a cell phone,(or anything that belongs to another,) you cannot just take it. It does not just magically become yours.

People have been prosecuted for finding cell phones and trying to keep them. There also has been at least one case of someone prosecuted for taking Geocaches.

A cache hidden with permission, and in play somewhere, remains the property of the person who hid in. You would be stealing if you take it.

The courts are usually to busy to bother with it, but it doesn't change the fact of ownership, and theft.

Edited by uxorious

Did someone make April "protest about PMO caches" month? Seems like more threads than usual lately...

Its spring time and people are joining up and trying something new. Very normal this time of the year.

Where do you live? It is still full on winter here. We just had another dump of snow over the weekend... Oh for the good old days of global warming...

A place where it rains like Seattle.

To the previous poster, it's not 'finders keepers' if you legitimately know who something belongs to at the time... and everything larger than a micro is legitimately labeled, typically. It's not like letterboxing where nothing is labeled.

Did anyone forget to mention that, compared to many hobbies, Geocaching is pennies on the cache, literally? The economy is currently eating me alive, and I still find the $30 for a year. Even so, three months is $10. I spend more than that on lunch these days!

It's not a scam if millions of people like it the way it is.

To the previous poster, it's not 'finders keepers' if you legitimately know who something belongs to at the time...

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post, since I'm not a legal expert :rolleyes: but I will anyway. :) I remember this topic coming up before. Someone who knew the law said stealing was about "intentionally depriving" someone of something. So if you know it belongs to someone and that they will want it back, then it's stealing, whether it's a cellphone they dropped on the sidewalk or a geocache they hid out in the forest.

Incidentally, I found a smartphone that someone dropped and handed it into the nearest cellphone store (the battery was dead). Apparently this happens all the time and usually they can re-unite it with the owner.

At any rate, this does not compare to a travel bug which was intentionally left in public for the express purpose that someone take it. I don't think that a judge will look at the geocaching guidelines and advisements as law. An interesting concept would be a small claims case for the value of the TB.

This is embarrassing. Can't we at least give a head-fake to opposing crime? I hope land managers don't read this thread.

Land Manager: What's this thing I saw about theft by Geocachers?

Cacher: Geocachers steal other people's property.

Land Manager: Aren't there criminal charges?

Cacher: No, they only steal small items, not worth much, and especially if it's "left for them to take". Then they keep it and dare you to press charges. Or to file a petty lawsuit that will cost you plenty. And some Geocachers have thousands of "small" stolen items.

Land Manager: Don't other Geocachers disapprove of this?

Cacher: No! They have a saying Never place an item in view of a Geocacher, that you don't want to lose. Geocaching means I have no rules. Anything goes.

Land Manager: Certainly the rules of society apply!

Cacher: Not at all!

Land Manager: Then I'd be concerned if I was alone and saw a Geocacher in the woods!

Cacher: So, when can I place Geocaches in this area?

Land Manager: How about... Never!

Edited by kunarion

At any rate, this does not compare to a travel bug which was intentionally left in public for the express purpose that someone take it. I don't think that a judge will look at the geocaching guidelines and advisements as law. An interesting concept would be a small claims case for the value of the TB.

This is embarrassing. Can't we at least give a head-fake to opposing crime? I hope land managers don't read this thread.

Land Manager: What's this thing I saw about theft by Geocachers?

Cacher: Geocachers steal other people's property.

Land Manager: Aren't there criminal charges?

Cacher: No, they only steal small items, not worth much, and especially if it's "left for them to take". Then they keep it and dare you to press charges. Or to file a petty lawsuit that will cost you plenty. And some Geocachers have thousands of "small" stolen items.

Land Manager: Don't other Geocachers disapprove of this?

Cacher: No! They have a saying “Never place an item in view of a Geocacher, that you don't want to lose”. “Geocaching” means “I have no rules”. Anything goes.

Land Manager: Certainly the rules of society apply!

Cacher: Not at all!

Land Manager: Then I'd be concerned if I was alone and saw a Geocacher in the woods!

Cacher: So, when can I place Geocaches in this area?

Land Manager: How about... Never!

:blink:

I keep seeing this argument.

A geocacher did X therefore the land manager or property owner will decide that geocachers (and geocaches) are undesirable.

Of course this hypothetical conversation is more likely to go:

Land Manager: So you'd like to place a cache here. What happens if someone takes something from the cache and doesn't leave something in place?

Cacher: Well that's against the rules, but there is really no way to enforce this.

Land Manager: What about these travel bugs? Aren't they the property of their owners.

Cacher: Yes, and if you take it you're supposed to put it in another cache. But sometimes they get lost and sometimes they get taken by someone who doesn't know this.

Land Manager: Do they ever get taken by someone who knows the rule but keeps them intentionally. Wouldn't that be stealing?

Cacher: It happens, but it's rare.

Land Manager: Do the travel bug owners make a big deal about it? I hope not, since one of my jobs is to investigate crimes in this park that are reported to me.

Cacher: Don't worry. The TB owner may post a rant in the geocaching forum that something needs to done to stop TB theft, but it never goes farther than that.

Land Manager: Good. Then you can leave a cache in the park. If there was a problem with TB thefts, I would have only allowed you to leave a micro that didn't have room for travel bugs.

And before you start attacking me, I maintain TWO premium accounts.

I'm thinking why someome would have two. Only ideas I came up with are (1) reviewer with regular account also, (2) account for spouse or child, or (3) sock puppet account for forum use. Wonder which it is here!

I decided to sign up for geocaching after accidentally finding a cache and trackable. How fun, I thought! I'll give it a try. Since then, I've found several PMO only caches that I couldn't log and feel like I'm constantly nagged online on nearly every click to sign up for a premium membership that seems to offer only relief from artificially imposed limitations rather than premium add-ons. I think I'm done with geocaching already. Probably I'll keep the latest trackable I found in a PMO cache as a reminder of what a scam this site turns to be. I'll keep an eye out for a user revolt at some time in the future.

Uh there are plenty of non premium caches out there. There is also a way round so you can log the premium caches. But keeping someone else's travel bug because you don't like the way this hobby is set up is wrong. It's owned by someone.

technically he can take it ...you go to the street put your iPhone down and turn around and look back if someone has it in there hands its there's now. Like the Tupperware container once you put it down and leave it in the forest or where ever you can't sue someone call the cops nothing it is no longer in your hands so it is no longer your property.

Awesome news! Does that mean if I break into your house and sleep in your bed it's my house now? If I took all your stuff while I'm there and, you know, took it back to one of the other houses that are mine now does that mean it's all legally mine?

Sounds like stealing stuff is an easier way to make a legal living than working for it.

I'm thinking why someome would have two. Only ideas I came up with are (1) reviewer with regular account also, (2) account for spouse or child, or (3) sock puppet account for forum use. Wonder which it is here!

Two premium accounts mean you can run twice as many pocket queries. Some people maintain more than two, especially if they are prolific cachers and routinely cover a very wide area.

I decided to sign up for geocaching after accidentally finding a cache and trackable. How fun, I thought! I'll give it a try. Since then, I've found several PMO only caches that I couldn't log and feel like I'm constantly nagged online on nearly every click to sign up for a premium membership that seems to offer only relief from artificially imposed limitations rather than premium add-ons. I think I'm done with geocaching already. Probably I'll keep the latest trackable I found in a PMO cache as a reminder of what a scam this site turns to be. I'll keep an eye out for a user revolt at some time in the future.

Uh there are plenty of non premium caches out there. There is also a way round so you can log the premium caches. But keeping someone else's travel bug because you don't like the way this hobby is set up is wrong. It's owned by someone.

technically he can take it ...you go to the street put your iPhone down and turn around and look back if someone has it in there hands its there's now. Like the Tupperware container once you put it down and leave it in the forest or where ever you can't sue someone call the cops nothing it is no longer in your hands so it is no longer your property.

Awesome news! Does that mean if I break into your house and sleep in your bed it's my house now? If I took all your stuff while I'm there and, you know, took it back to one of the other houses that are mine now does that mean it's all legally mine?

Sounds like stealing stuff is an easier way to make a legal living than working for it.

Debating this is kinda silly. It's not the crime of the century so we usually decide to live with it when it happens. It comes down to there being two types of people,,, those with morals and those without!

The people without will keep that cellphone when they find it laying on the street. The ones with will try to locate and return the phone to it's owner.

Someone who knew the law said stealing was about "intentionally depriving" someone of something. So if you know it belongs to someone and that they will want it back, then it's stealing, whether it's a cellphone they dropped on the sidewalk or a geocache they hid out in the forest.

I'm not a lawyer, either, but, as I understand it, taking something that even the owner no longer wants can get a person into trouble. Taking trash from a dumpster is technically theft, also. I suspect it might be about identity theft protection or preventing employees from throwing away useful things that they want to salvage after work.

This seems to be a common misconception. A travel bug is not left so someone can take it. It is left so someone can move it. It still clearly belongs to the person who left it to be moved.

The trinkets we put in our Geocache are not there for the taking, they are there to be traded for. You can be prosecuted for theft if you steal a Geocache. (very unlikely, but it did happen in New York once.)

If you see a vegetable stand out in the country that has a coffee can to put money in, and no one around to take your money. You had better believe you could find yourself in trouble with the local law, if you just grab a bunch of veggies and don't pay.

I could have a second account to place theme based caches. I could have a second account to see what the site looks like to a basic members and help them out with questions on the forum.

In response to complaints from people who would like to discuss the topic about premium member only caches, the moderating team has hidden a number of off-topic posts. Please stay on topic. This includes resisting the urge to comment about spelling, grammar and personal traits of other posters. If you wish to criticize, discuss the idea rather than the person who posted it. If you cannot make sense of an idea due to a poorly constructed post, give it the weight to which it's entitled and move on to read other ideas. Thank you.

Someone who knew the law said stealing was about "intentionally depriving" someone of something. So if you know it belongs to someone and that they will want it back, then it's stealing, whether it's a cellphone they dropped on the sidewalk or a geocache they hid out in the forest.

I'm not a lawyer, either, but, as I understand it, taking something that even the owner no longer wants can get a person into trouble. Taking trash from a dumpster is technically theft, also. I suspect it might be about identity theft protection or preventing employees from throwing away useful things that they want to salvage after work.

No it would not be theft and I will being posting a topic later

Edited by Off Grid

I guess that would depend on how the theft statues are written, in the state in question. In Florida, taking something from a dumpster, in and of itself, would not qualify as theft, as described in Florida statute 812.014, though there may be other applicable laws, depending on where the dumpster was located. Here, once an object is placed by its owner in something that is clearly a trash depository, they have effectively relinquished ownership of said object. Because our stature revolves around the concept Incredibles mentioned, (intentionally depriving a person of an item, or the use of an item), it would not apply to deliberately abandoned items placed in trash bins.

That being said, as someone mentioned earlier, when I place a geocache in the woods, I have not abandoned it. It was placed at that location for a very specific purpose, and will be recovered once it has finished serving that purpose. If a muggle were to come across my cache and remove it, thinking it was abandoned, they would not be committing theft, as they were not intending to deprive me of my property. However, if a cacher were to come to my cache, being familiar with the game and recognizing my container as a game piece which is still in play, and they removed it, they would be intentionally depriving me of my property, and as such, would be committing theft.

Here's an unfortunate sequence of logs relating to a 1st-time cacher finding a cache, then re-hiding the cache "better" than before, and then posting a spoiler post. 'Nuff said.

Write note 04/24/2013

(See below.) Don't you love the exuberance and enthusiasm of a cacher making their first find?!

Temporarily Disable Listing 04/23/2013

Pulling this offline until I can confirm the location.

Write note

04/22/2013

In regards to the person posted they found it and moved it...are the coordinates listed now reflecting the NEW cache location??We were there and it was impossible to find...Please do make sure the coordinates were updated when moving a find...thank you.. :)

1 Found it

04/21/2013

YES!!!!! WE FOUND IT!!! KI OUR FRIEND FOUND IT UNDER THE BRUSH!! CLEVER! it was in a log!! We hid it a little further away but HINT its still in the woods. WATCH OUT FOR POISON IVY DANGER!!!!!

When we started geocaching we didn't even know there was a premium account until we were going on a road trip and found out about the travel routes option. We have PMO right now and 90% of the caches we find are not premium member caches. But even with that I don't think buying a member ship was a rip off at all! I think we have gotten every nickel dime and penny out of the money we spent and have absolutely no regrets at all.

If you don't want to buy the premium don't. You can still do cache's, you can still post your stats using another website in your profile, you have a ton of fun.

If you don't want to you do not have to buy it in the slightest.

And I do not foresee a revolt coming any time soon, in fact I see a bomb in the amount of geocachers joining the game and loving the game on its way.

I just don't think this hobby is for you. But I do suggest you return the geocoin. Someone has paid money for it and would really like to watch it travel from cache to cache. If someone stole from you I do not think you would appreciate it.

This guy is walking down the street and sees a neat little store. He goes in and marvels at all the cool stuff. Upon grabbing a handful of items and heading for the door, the store manager says, "you have to pay for those items".

At this, the guy become irate. "Why do I have to pay for this stuff? It should all be free!"

Because this is a business and we are selling those things. It costs us money to have this store, keep the lights on, and provide these products as a service. Someone had to manufacture those products and we bought them to sell to the consumer. We can't give them away for free or there would be no store at all.

The guy goes out on the sidewalk and grabs a bag of items from a lady who had just purchased from the store. "Well, I'll show you. I'll take these items. You just wait. I'm going to complain loudly about you charging money for your stuff and people are going to stop coming here. You'll see."

And the man ran off into the distance with the lady's stuff. A thief into the night.

The store owner thought, "good Lord, what is wrong with people today?"

:ph34r:

This guy is walking down the street and sees a neat little store. He goes in and marvels at all the cool stuff. Upon grabbing a handful of items and heading for the door, the store manager says, "you have to pay for those items".

At this, the guy become irate. "Why do I have to pay for this stuff? It should all be free!"

Because this is a business and we are selling those things. It costs us money to have this store, keep the lights on, and provide these products as a service. Someone had to manufacture those products and we bought them to sell to the consumer. We can't give them away for free or there would be no store at all.

The guy goes out on the sidewalk and grabs a bag of items from a lady who had just purchased from the store. "Well, I'll show you. I'll take these items. You just wait. I'm going to complain loudly about you charging money for your stuff and people are going to stop coming here. You'll see."

And the man ran off into the distance with the lady's stuff. A thief into the night.

The store owner thought, "good Lord, what is wrong with people today?"

:ph34r:

Best post so far on the topic. I tried to have a discussion with someone about premium membership over email. His was adamant that all there shouldn't be any PMO caches because geocaching should be free, just like public libraries and public washrooms. I tried to explain that none of these things are free. Just because there is no user fee, we still pay for them through our taxes. I think some people are just too cheap to buy a premium membership and just won't admit it. Even if you don't like PMO caches, if you're a serious cacher, you're going to want a premium membership for the pocket queries.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I try to get as much as I can out of a basic membership, and I am not interested in a premium membership, unless it's free for life. Most of the PMO features are PMO just to have a reason for users to upgrade. Stick with a basic membership. Don't stop geocaching.

As a premium member I am happy to contribute a yearly nominal fee to keep a site like this up and running. The money has to come from somewhere - ads or fees, take you pick but don't gripe about it. If you don't want to pay or see adds don't participate. Your loss.

I would say that unless the original poster comes back into play to defend the position they are trying to make - the rest of us are shouting at the wind. No real point.

Oh, it's fine, Markwell. I'm sure Groundspeak loves the almost universal chorus of "the website costs money to run, and $30 a year is a great value for a premium membership" posts every time Premium Member Only caches complaints come up. Especially now what with the whole European Value Added Tax fiasco going on over in Feature suggestions and discussions. :ph34r:

Probably I'll keep the latest trackable I found in a PMO cache as a reminder of what a scam this site turns to be. I'll keep an eye out for a user revolt at some time in the future.

I too used to wonder what the point of having premium caches was. once i became a premium member I started realizing that (as a whole) folks willing to pay the nominal fee for a ton of adventuring meant that they tend to respect geocaches, geocaching, and trackables significantly more than basic members. Please note that i recognize there are a ton of good basic members. however, only a very, very few bad premium members exsist. eventually i realized the creation of premium caches were meant to keep people like this from attempting to destroy the 'sport'.

In my area I saw there was a Cache that just came up that was a premium membership only and I thought, why would you do that? The goal for your cache in my opinion should be to get as many people and trackables there as possible, so why would you limit that? But, there are plenty more all user caches around so I'm still satisfied, but I still don't see the point of making an only premium member cache. This is a little upsetting but it is no reason to stop geocaching or expect a revolt so I would just be happy with what you got and keep on geocaching!

The goal for your cache in my opinion should be to get as many people and trackables there as possible,
Why?

What about cache owners who have different goals for their caches?

so why would you limit that?
Here is a list of reasons PMO cache owners have mentioned for why they made their caches PMO:

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/Premium_Member_Only_cache#Reasons_for_PMO_Caches

Getting a large amount of people to find it is not always a great idea. Try leaving an ammo can out in the open in Times Square, Manhattan to see a much quicker version of what often happens.

Probably I'll keep the latest trackable I found in a PMO cache as a reminder of what a scam this site turns to be.

That's pretty big of you, keeping another person's trackable because you have a problem with (supposedly) not being able to log a PMO cache -- something that you could actually do if you'd search or even bother to ask.

But no, you'd rather just keep the item as a sort of "pay back" as would a spoiled child.

this is just the reason I no longer buy travel bugs, all mine have gone missing. That I bought in form of coins etc. for a collection.

Not sure if anyone cares or not, but the OP got the trackable back to the owner, who has put it back in play. So there's that. Not a thief, after all.

Don't make him out to be a good guy. He said he was gonna keep it. In fact, he kept it for 7 months. That makes him a thief. Granted, not a particularly good thief, but still a thief.

Broadcasting your plans at chicanery is not a real bright think to do. He did exactly that, got a blast from a lot of people. I suspect lots more than there were in this thread. And something forced his hand to return what he had swiped.

Edited by Shop99er

Not sure if anyone cares or not, but the OP got the trackable back to the owner, who has put it back in play. So there's that. Not a thief, after all.

Don't make him out to be a good guy.

<snip>

And something forced his hand to return what he had swiped.

By the same token, let's not demonize the guy. Unless he changed it since the last time I looked, his profile did not include any personal information, such as his address, real name, phone number, employer, or anything else which might reduce the difficulties of finding someone known only by a fictional name in a hobbyists website. Those with the torches and pitchforks, who might have forced his hand, had only one real outlet for their angst, and that was the email address provided by the guy. With just a few clicks, he could've shut that down and walked away. There really was nothing to compel him other than his own conscience. After an extended hiatus, he decided to do the right thing. Hardly cause to break out the tar and feathers.

He did the right thing after all. At least after his rant he spent the time to return it. He didn't have to. Not like he would have really been charged with stealing or anything. With only one accidental find he might not have even known that the trackable was owned by someone and sounds like once he found out he returned it. I've been the moderator of a fishing site for over 10 years and sometimes members come on and post bad stuff at the start not knowing what it is all about and then later become great members. I am glad he returned it and it shows he does have the ability to do the right thing. I think if he does continue to find caches he will probably continue to do the right thing. Just new and not understanding how the game works. I hope he finds out how fun this game is and becomes a valuable member or if this is not his thing then hope he finds fun in whatever it is he likes to do.