europes first terrain

I'd say that's because the terrain rating is what the cache owner selected, based on their understanding of the ratings system. I wonder what that walk is like on an icy winter's day? The container size was the cache owner's choice.

It's better in these forums not to try to dissect the decisions of particular cache owners, it's somewhat lacking in respect to do that.

A better idea would be to start a general thread about ratings, or cache sizes.

I'm hoping to try for this cache in the next 2 or 3 weeks and was puzzled how a "small" cache could hold so many "posted" TBs!

Yes, I thought the same when I looked at the listing a couple of days ago...

When you find the cache would you consider doing your good deed for the day by checking which trackables are physically in the cache, and adding "Not seen" notes to the home pages of those that appear to be missing from the cache?

I like to see old cache trackable listings "cleaned up" from time to time and maybe either the CO, or one of the Irish reviewers, would be able to marked some items missing if it's obvious they're no longer in the cache.

MrsB :)

I'm hoping to try for this cache in the next 2 or 3 weeks and was puzzled how a "small" cache could hold so many "posted" TBs!

Yes, I thought the same when I looked at the listing a couple of days ago...

When you find the cache would you consider doing your good deed for the day by checking which trackables are physically in the cache, and adding "Not seen" notes to the home pages of those that appear to be missing from the cache?

I like to see old cache trackable listings "cleaned up" from time to time and maybe either the CO, or one of the Irish reviewers, would be able to marked some items missing if it's obvious they're no longer in the cache.

We had a successful "day-trip" to Dublin with the main objective being to "find" Europe's First. It wasn't a difficult find but I made a point of checking for trackables.

As it turned out, there was actually only one trackable in the box - a geocoin that hadn't been logged in! We left two ourselves so, on Friday there were only two TBs in the container. I have logged a note on the cache page and sent a message to the CO. I will also place "Not seen" notes on the trackables themselves.

The geocoin was a strange one! I brought it home with me and noted the tracking code before dropping it off but when I came to logging its moves, the tracking record indicated that it was held by its owner in Sweden and had never been placed anywhere. Thinking that I had made a mistake writing down the number I contacted the cacher who had picked it up yesterday in England and he confirmed that I had the right number. I've also contacted the owner in Sweden but not yet received a reply. Can anyone give an explanation? Am I missing something?

Edited by Phil100

The geocoin was a strange one! I brought it home with me and noted the tracking code before dropping it off but when I came to logging its moves, the tracking record indicated that it was held by its owner in Sweden and had never been placed anywhere. Thinking that I had made a mistake writing down the number I contacted the cacher who had picked it up yesterday in England and he confirmed that I had the right number. I've also contacted the owner in Sweden but not yet received a reply. Can anyone give an explanation? Am I missing something?

Is it possible that the Swedish owner had visited the cache just before you but, because they're on holiday, they haven't had a chance to do their logging yet? Is there any Found log from them on the cache?

It's a bit difficult for you to correct the coin's travel details now that it's already gone on to someone else - but they could do it by writing a Note log on the "Europe's First" cache and giving the coin a visit there, just to show that it was in Ireland.

Is it possible that the Swedish owner had visited the cache just before you but, because they're on holiday, they haven't had a chance to do their logging yet? Is there any Found log from them on the cache?

It's a bit difficult for you to correct the coin's travel details now that it's already gone on to someone else - but they could do it by writing a Note log on the "Europe's First" cache and giving the coin a visit there, just to show that it was in Ireland.

I did "dip it" in Europe's First so it is recorded there and will have the miles. It was also "discovered" in EF on Friday, further proof that I didn't transcribe the number. I did look at the owner's profile and his most recent finds were in Sweden, I think, certainly not Ireland, but I suppose he could be touring which could also explain why he hasn't replied to my email.

:ph34r: I was just wondering why europes first is a terrain 3, also its not very big :anibad: :anibad:

You'll find that the early caches like GCD, GC57 and especially GCF0 can be way of the mark when it comes to terrain/difficulty ratings (although I note that GCD has recently upped it's terrain rating, it was only a T2 when I found it - GC1W7KE gives you a good indication of the terrain you get going there - that cache page makes a good read).

GCF0 is a terrain 1 (which means it can be done in a wheelchair :o ), it took me 5.5 hours to get up and down, although it would have been quite a bit quicker if I hadn't done it in a blizzard.

The reason for this was that the ratings back in 2000 were not as defined as they are today and there was little to benchmark them against, so people just put almost random guesses against them. Most of the time hese old historical caches are left as they originally were, which I tend to agree with as it gives a bit of a window back to what things were like in the early days.