Cheapest Official Trackables?

somegeek

I'd read in the past a thread where someone posted regarding left over tags from an official event and they were selling them cheaper than the standard travel bugs... I think it was in a cheap travel bug thread. Is there any such thread alive currently?

somegeek

I'd read in the past a thread where someone posted regarding left over tags from an official event and they were selling them cheaper than the standard travel bugs.

How cheap? Google these:

cheap geocoin

cheap geocaching trackable

... and the least expensive I see are $4.25 each for a pack of 8 Official TBs, or for "TrekTags" (but I didn't check shipping costs). And there's a wide selection of coin tags for about $4.45. I've seen one Geocoin shop that sells closeout coins (ugly and obsolete ones, maybe more like what you're asking for, just one or two styles), but I can't find it at the moment, and don't know if those are cheaper than the tags listed above.

Edited by kunarion

I'd read in the past a thread where someone posted regarding left over tags from an official event and they were selling them cheaper than the standard travel bugs.

How cheap? Google these:

cheap geocoin

cheap geocaching trackable

... and the least expensive I see are $4.25 each for a pack of 8 Official TBs, or for "TrekTags" (but I didn't check shipping costs). And there's a wide selection of coin tags for about $4.45. I've seen one Geocoin shop that sells closeout coins (ugly and obsolete ones, maybe more like what you're asking for, just one or two styles), but I can't find it at the moment, and don't know if those are cheaper than the tags listed above.

Think about the upside, kunarion. Ugly coins are more likely to reach their travel goals...
Think about the upside, kunarion. Ugly coins are more likely to reach their travel goals...

I merely specified the reason they are cheap. Although, a case could be made that if they were in fact suitable as travelers, they'd have sold already.

They also may be inappropriate for the coin owner, yet desirable to a certain person or group. I imagined my grandmother buying and sending the "Beer party! I threw up!!" coin, which is embarrassing to have associated with her. Then imagine it arrives at a frat house.

Or the "2007 Minot Basket Weaving Event" coin that has nothing to do with me. Then this out-of-print coin is grabbed by someone with sticky fingers who covets it.

As for "more likely to reach travel goals", I wonder if it's even likely to see grandma (the coin owner) posting "My 'Beer Party' coin is missing and it's very meaningful to me, since it's placed in honor of my new granddaughter. Please help me track it down!"

Edited by kunarion

I have been successful in purchasing discounted trackables for releasing by watching closely for sales, through private and event fundraising threads on the forums and clearance trackables from online retail sites. Then I stock up.

TBs generally don't go for under $4.25. Tags can be found for $3-4. Retail clearance sales for micro coins can be as low as $3, with full-sized geocoins selling for $5. Plus shipping charges, of course. And many of the geocoins are beautiful, quality coins.

Of course, if you want ugly coins for releasing, some of those are available, too. ;)