What are the compatible browsers for GC.com

My laptop has little memory, so i dont want to upgrade the browser (for speed issues). There is this toolbar for GC.com that's from Fuzzy's Geocaching Page o' Wonders, but it is only compatible with the older browser. Here's the Link: Cache Simplifer

Oh goodness. I do know a "little old lady" who is not very computer savvy, who has recently received messages that her old browser will no longer be supported by Geocaching.com. You really don't want to upgrade the browser because of speed issues? I've never heard of that, to be honest.

There's a Help Center page on browser support. It is a bit vague, in that they specify one widespread browser they don't support (IE6) and "encourage" the use of certain other browsers.

IE6 not supported. Blocked, I think. IE8 or later "encouraged." If I try to use IE7, I get a banner at the top of the page saying that Groundspeak is phasing out support for older browsers.

I prefer Seamonkey, a Gecko-based browser like Firefox. Usually it works fine, but every so often a site update breaks functionality by insisting on Firefox, even if Seamonkey is a newer version of the same "engine" required.

My netbook is only 16GB hard drive and 1GB of RAM. I got Firefox and Chrome on it, no problems at all with memory issues with those browsers. I was running XP on it just fine, however now I run Linux Mint Mate, which is extremely fast and much faster then any of the buntu's.

Regardless of which browser you use, this utility won't work anymore. It's designed to simplify cache listing pages that look like the one in the screenshot on the linked page. Listing pages haven't looked like this for many years. Since Feb 16, 2005 in fact. The listing pages have gone through at least 3 revisions since then.

If you want to simplify a cache listing page, a better way would be to use the built-in printable-page function. See just below the coordinates on each listing page.

Sorry, I just read your subtitle. What myself and my "computer guy" that I work with do with old computers is convert them to the Ubuntu operating system, and you can surf the web to your hearts content with the latest version of Firefox. And get email and all that stuff. :P

My laptop has VERY LOW MEMORY like 30gb for a hard drive, the model is a Compaq Presario 2135US. It is made with a floppy and a cd rom, so it doesent have much space for memory. Ubumto is WAY DIFFRENT than windows. Its got IE6 but i maybe can upgrade to IE7.

Why not use Chrome and ditch whatever you're using now? And, be careful of Ubuntu--it seems to be very good for those that have a high level of PC knowledge. I don't, tried it on a old laptop as an experiment, ended up throwing it out. Despite a lot of help/input from others on forums, could not get it to work right.

My laptop has VERY LOW MEMORY like 30gb for a hard drive...

30 GB is plenty of space for the average user. Our PCs at work, fully configured for a wide variety of possible uses, only use about 20 GB of hard drive space.

Rather than focusing on the total amount of space, a more useful number would be the amount of free space you have. I bet you'll find you have plenty of free space to allow for the small increase an upgrade to IE will require. If not, you could look through what you do have installed and see if there's anything you don't need that you could uninstall.

Sorry, I just read your subtitle. What myself and my "computer guy" that I work with do with old computers is convert them to the Ubuntu operating system, and you can surf the web to your hearts content with the latest version of Firefox. And get email and all that stuff. :P

I'd be inclined to clone the hard drive partition onto a bigger hard drive. I did that with my old laptop and upgraded from 60GB to 250GB. Took a few hours but most of that was just leaving a computer to its own devices - you don't need to watch every movement of a two-hour progress bar.

My laptop has VERY LOW MEMORY like 30gb for a hard drive...

30 GB is plenty of space for the average user. Our PCs at work, fully configured for a wide variety of possible uses, only use about 20 GB of hard drive space.

Rather than focusing on the total amount of space, a more useful number would be the amount of free space you have. I bet you'll find you have plenty of free space to allow for the small increase an upgrade to IE will require. If not, you could look through what you do have installed and see if there's anything you don't need that you could uninstall.

I still like converting almost worthless old computers to the Ubuntu OS, but I see there's not too much support for that here. :lol: But you know what, that isn't even the case here, now that I read more carefully. That's a lot of space. I don't know what's eating up the space on that box, but you definitely need to free some up. Gigabytes worth, most likely. B)

30 gigs is small in today's standards but used to be a whopping size just a few years back. Newer programs and the junk accumulated over time can take up that amount of space pretty quickly.

First, i would check to see how much free space you actually have on the drive. Go to "my computer", then right click on the drive, then click on properties to see how much free space is left. If there's not much, then a good cleaning out of unused programs and files is in order. Afterwards, upgrade to a more up to date browser.

My laptop has little memory, so i dont want to upgrade the browser (for speed issues). There is this toolbar for GC.com that's from Fuzzy's Geocaching Page o' Wonders, but it is only compatible with the older browser. Here's the Link: Cache Simplifer

If you don't mind just plain text, no pictures, etc which is what "Cache Simplifier" does (did) then try logging on at wap.geocaching.com

No good for anything (like puzzle caches) that require viewing the graphics however.