Uploading The Correct Unknown/Puzzle Cache Coordinates

fajitas-r-fab

Hey all. I own an Oregon 300, and after spending a wintry evening solving puzzle caches I tried to see if I could overwrite the false coordinates in the cache description with the correct ones I had worked out. I want to do this for roughly 30 caches that are within a radius of about 3 miles so that they appear on the same map screen and so that I can work out the best and most efficient route to take to collect them all, rather than find one, then enter the next set of coordinates only to find I passed it on the way to finding the previous one. If I can't do this on the Oregon, is there an app that will allow me, or maybe I can write my own .gpx file? If so, how do I go about this?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Edited by fajitas-r-fab

Use a 3rd party programme to make a .loc or .gpx file.

I keep corrected coordinates in GSAK.

You could enter the coordinates into the GPS and save the waypoint in the GPS and then save a backup to your computer, which can be reloaded into the GPS later.

GSAK has a corrected coordinates function, which will send the cache details, but use the corrected coordinates as the cache coordinates.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

GSAK has a corrected coordinates function, which will send the cache details, but use the corrected coordinates as the cache coordinates.

Is that a macro or a menu option? I've been wondering how to do the same thing.

Menu option.

There's a column for corrected coordinates.

View >Add/Remove Column >Corrected Coordinates indicator

Double click the column and add the coordinates.

GSAK will keep the original coordinates. (They sometimes are the suggested Parking for the cache!)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hey all. I own an Oregon 300, and after spending a wintry evening solving puzzle caches I tried to see if I could overwrite the false coordinates in the cache description with the correct ones I had worked out. I want to do this for roughly 30 caches that are within a radius of about 3 miles so that they appear on the same map screen and so that I can work out the best and most efficient route to take to collect them all, rather than find one, then enter the next set of coordinates only to find I passed it on the way to finding the previous one. If I can't do this on the Oregon, is there an app that will allow me, or maybe I can write my own .gpx file? If so, how do I go about this?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

There is no software that will support puzzle caches beyond manual updates. Do you need help in finding software that will upload the waypoints you've entered?

There is no software that will support puzzle caches beyond manual updates. Do you need help in finding software that will upload the waypoints you've entered?

I think so. I just want to be able to load or amend the correct coordinates rather than the fake ones that are posted with the cache description. It looks like GSAK may be my best bet. I hadn't heard of this prior to this thread, so thanks to everyone for their advice.

Is that a macro or a menu option? I've been wondering how to do the same thing.

Menu option.

There's a column for corrected coordinates.

View >Add/Remove Column >Corrected Coordinates indicator

Double click the column and add the coordinates.

GSAK will keep the original coordinates. (They sometimes are the suggested Parking for the cache!)

Thank you - I'll have a play later :)

Why not just do this on the cache's description page...no third party software or other tools needed. Go to the puzzle cache page, next to the coordinates is the icon for a pencil, click that and enter the corrected coordinates. Confirm the entry. Done. The corrected coordinates for that cache will be set and downloaded in future PQs or "Send to GPS" requests. A cache page with corrected coordinates can be recognized as the coords will be underscored. (Note that this method does not carry over to the GC Map view...don't know why.)

My suggestion would be: Create a Bookmark list (Solved Puzzles); correct the coordinates as above, then add that cache to your Bookmark list; run a PQ off the Bookmark list; load the PQ to your Oregon and plan accordingly. HTH!

Why not just do this on the cache's description page...no third party software or other tools needed. Go to the puzzle cache page, next to the coordinates is the icon for a pencil, click that and enter the corrected coordinates. Confirm the entry. Done. The corrected coordinates for that cache will be set and downloaded in future PQs or "Send to GPS" requests. A cache page with corrected coordinates can be recognized as the coords will be underscored. (Note that this method does not carry over to the GC Map view...don't know why.)

My suggestion would be: Create a Bookmark list (Solved Puzzles); correct the coordinates as above, then add that cache to your Bookmark list; run a PQ off the Bookmark list; load the PQ to your Oregon and plan accordingly. HTH!

This worked an absolute treat. Thank you. I had no idea you could amend the cache coordinates if you weren't the cache owner, let alone keep them from other peoples view!