Does anyone still use Palms or PPCs

I have 4 Sony Clie PJ25's and 2 Palm M500 units. Before paperless units these were great in the field for cache info.....then folks used work-arounds to get cache info on Nuvi's ( I stll do this for long trips when I may have cache info on 40000 caches stored.)

I would put that money toward a paperless GPS.....much better way to go plus only one device to carry in the field.

I use to use a Tungsten E until I got my iPod touch, then used that until I got a paperless GPSr. PDAs are nearly useless anymore with smartphones and tablets on the market. They still can benefit if you already own one or can get one dirt cheap, but if you are going to save up, you are better off with one of the newer devices.

I use a Compaq iPaq 3970 for field notes and voice notes. I keep a 2GB SD card in the device itself for text & voice notes, and a 2nd 2GB CF-Card in an adapter, plugged into a expansion/battery sleeve. It's as big as a brick, but handy... At least, I can export text notes to .TXT format, then cut/paste them to new log entries. (the Magellan eXplorist GC is my main GPSr, but It takes too much time to type in an entire log entry.. I write a number for the find or DNF, then correspond to the text note written on the iPaq.)

It's come in handy, with the voice recorder, because I ran across one cache a few years ago, and it had a very odd sound coming from it.. turned out someone put a StarTrek 'Scotty' figure from Burger King, and every time you moved the cache, it suddenly blurted out "I'm given'er all shes got, Captain!".. I HAD to get a recording of it!!!! [:D]

Edited by gelfling6