Caches in National Cemeteries

I would doubt very much that you could get permission to place a physical cache in a National Cemetery.

When Waymarking started a category on graves of Medal of Honor recipients, the VA sent Groundspeak a letter asking them to remove this category. The idea of people visiting these graves to take a photo of their GPS at the site was deemed disrespectful. I believe the comprise was to change the requirements for logging a visit and ask that nothing be placed on the grave when taking the photo.

The definitive response probably would come from this agency , although I certainly can understand the reasoning behind Toz's post. I also really doubt that permission would be granted.

We have toured the Chatanooga National Cemetery a few times, both after an internment and just because. Indeed, it is a place for reflection, remembrance and learning, too. Most cemeteries are that also, but this just seems to have much more impact.

PART 12: NATIONAL CEMETERY REGULATIONS

36 CFR PART 12

§12.3 Definitions.

Recreational activity means any form of athletics, sport or other leisure pursuit or event, whether organized or spontaneous, that is engaged in by one or more persons for the primary purpose of exercise, relaxation or enjoyment, including but not limited to the following: jogging, racing, skating, skateboarding, ball playing, kite flying, model airplane flying, throwing objects through the air, sunbathing, bicycling and picknicking. This term does not include walking, hiking or casual strolling.

§12.11 Recreational activities.

Engaging in a recreational activity is prohibited.

http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/12-3-definitions-19769210

Edited by palmetto
In addition to the three virtuals in Arlington National Cemetery, there also are three multi-caches

Two of these are old staged Virtuals, the third has virtual stages in the cemetery, and a physical final elsewhere. Just as clarification, there are no physical caches in Arlington National Cemetery.

There are several awesome Virtuals in Arlington National Cemetary that I hope to grab on my trip down there in two weeks. As for regular caches, I know a few cachers who have placed caches in cemeteries with no problem.

My father is buried in section 68 at Arlington. The caches there are very cool and educational. I think all of the caches I did there are on my favorites list. There were also some fun challenges there but they went the way of the dodo.

Spend the 8 bucks and take the tour. Not every tour guide will mention where MOH recipient Audie Murphy was laid to rest. FYI it's on the far edge of parking across the street and to the left from The Tomb of the Unknowns.

Edited by Snoogans

Thanks for the replies. I was always under the impression they were not allowed. Although I have many cemetery caches, I thought a National Cemetery would be off limits. Much like the National Parks. Virtuals and multis where you obtain information in the cemetery to find the container outside I thought were OK as long as they were done respectfully.

The reason I asked the question is because a new cache (and the first cache) appeared in DFW National Cemetery. It was placed on the grave of his father to honor him. While I understand his reasoning, I can't help but feel this sets a president and other caches may soon follow and lead to a huge PR problem for Geocaching.

It makes me wonder from whom permission was granted to place the cache. I seriously doubt that the DFW National Cemetery would allow it. I have visited graves of relatives there. I sincerely hope that a finder doesn't get caught breaking the activity rules of the cemetery, palmetto quoted above.

There are several awesome Virtuals in Arlington National Cemetary that I hope to grab on my trip down there in two weeks. As for regular caches, I know a few cachers who have placed caches in cemeteries with no problem.

My father is buried in section 68 at Arlington. The caches there are very cool and educational. I think all of the caches I did there are on my favorites list. There were also some fun challenges there but they went the way of the dodo.

Spend the 8 bucks and take the tour. Not every tour guide will mention where MOH recipient Audie Murphy was laid to rest. FYI it's on the far edge of parking across the street and to the left from The Tomb of the Unknowns.

What I really liked about the multi stage virts in Arlington was that you may start at a location that gets plenty of visitors. But once you adjust your coords per the instructions on the cache page you are taken to a corner of the cemetery that doesn't get the visitation it might deserve, and you will probably learn something that you didn't know.

We felt like we were in Lincoln's shadow the whole weekend we were in DC. We started our caching in Arlington on Friday, with his wife's grave as the first stop of one of those multis. It will lead you to the grave of someone else involved in his history. The next day we attended an event at the Masonic Temple in DC and spent some time viewing his shelf in their library. That evening we wandered around town, found the cache at Ford's Theater, and finished the day at the Lincoln Memorial virt around midnight. The Mall is always a beautiful place, but there is something really special about being there after dark.

As for regular caches in regular cemeteries-it depends. Some places allow them, some do not. "All local laws apply is in the guidelines for a reason.

Edited by wimseyguy