How do I create a PQ of caches along a TRAIL?

coconutcrispy

Whenever I try to create a route on the map, it snaps to the nearest road. I want to find caches along a trail. Is this possible?

If the trail is one that is recognized by Google Earth, you can ask for directions using nearby locations (cities, known businesses, waypoints). This will "snap to the road," as you are experiencing.

Then, up near the top of the navigation pane after you enter your search for directions, there is a little icon that shows an auto, a train, a pedestrian, and a bicycle. If you wish to use a bicycle trail, click on the bicycle and see what happens. If Google Earth knows about a nearby trail, it should stop snapping to the road.

Save as a .kmz file by right-clicking on "Route" in the navigation tree.

If you can get Google Earth to follow the trail and create a .kmz file, you can go to "Find Caches Along a Route" as normal at geocaching.com. Choose the tab farthest to the right, which is "Upload a Route." This will create a PQ based on your .kmz file.

Fellow geocachers offer simple instructions for a simple two-point, straight line route.