Garmin etrex 20. School me

Toecutter1978

So I became a premium member to be able to download the GPX files. I imagine this has been covered before and please don't flame me for asking a question that been covered, the search on a mobile device sucks on my iPhone. How do I download multiple caches at once, instead of one at a time. I looked at the pocket query, but with all the options really confused me. Especially the how many days search?? Also, I tried to put the zip code in the search in the pocket query, but said inadequate info. Any pointers, or links to how to do this with the etrex 20? Thank you.

PQ tutorials:

http://markwell.us/pq.htm

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/ (U.K. based, but a good tutorial)

Zip Codes:

Probably shouldn't use zip postal codes. They have always seemed to be problematic -- sometimes good, sometimes out in left field.

Instead, use the geocaching.com Google maps. Select the area you plan on caching in and you can run a PQ DIRECTLY from that page.

Otherwise, choose your area and select a cache centered in that area and use that cache (by GC# as your centerpoint -- it's one of those "parameter things" located near the zip code box).

Days Search(?):

You may be referring to one of two things -- auto PQ's to run each and every time that particular day comes, OR simply day of the week to run. Both utilize the same check box. The key is what follows by using the appropriate choice of the buttons regarding how often the PQ is to be ran. If you are a busy local cacher, you would choose "Run this query every week on the days checked", if you are a more occasional cacher, generally you would use "Run this query once then delete it".

Some folks run queries for every day of the week. You can run 5 queries per day.

Tip:

If you set up a PQ, leave UNCHECKED the day of the week to run. [submit] it. Once you click that button, scroll back up to the top of that page and a red-colored link will allow you to view the results of that search. The PQ itself HAS NOT ran, this is only the search results based upon the info submitted. It allows you to see if you made a mistake, etc.

If you are happy with those results, then backpage, CHECK the day of the week to run and [submit] it again. The PQ will then be generated and sent to you.

If not happy with those results, then backpage, make the parameter adjustments and repeat the process.

This technique allows you to play with creating PQ's without "spending" your limit of 5/day.

Take note that checking the boxes for caches "I haven't found" AND "I have found" self-cancel and your results will be "0".

Also note that it is not necessary to run PQ's containing 1,000 caches. You can run any number that you desire up to 1,000.

Pocket Queries of 500 or less are emailed to you. Pocket Queries of 501 or more are available only as a download -- middle tab on the Pocket Queries page.

Another Tip:

Stay away from that [Add to Queue] button. It runs ONLY a My Finds Query, and has nothing whatsoever to do with running a PQ for loading into your GPSr. It will return ONLY caches that you have logged as Found. You currently do not have any, therefore your results will be "0". A My Finds Query is used for generating stats with other programs. It can be ran only once every three days.

For the time being, play with setting up Pocket Queries. See what works and what doesn't. Practice makes perfect, ya know.

Once you have some practice, you are ready to run PQ's for real.

That's it in a "nutshell". Loading the info to your unit is a different story. Practice with the PQ first. Once mastered, re-read those tutorials or return to the forums and inquire as to how to load your GPSr.

No flames.... but a lot of typing.... :)

Sounds like you're having problems more with using PQ's than with the device itself.

Picking a day for the PQ to run...if you just want the PQ run once, select whatever day today is and select "run once then delete". Some people like to have the PQ run weekly automatically, because they just want a weekly updated PQ of the same area. If you don't need it to repeat weekly, just tell it to run once.

As far as searching by zip code, i prefer not to use any of the "Search By Zip code/country/coordinates etc " options. Go to the bottom of that list and use "Search From The Map". Zoom and center the map until the whole area you are interested in is neatly contained within the frame. Then, in the left hand panel, select "Generate Pocket Query". Viola, all the caches in the map view are now in a PQ. Simple. That's the method I find easiest.

Also, make sure you don't apply any filters to the query that cancel each other out. A common example is when people check off "caches I have found" and "caches I haven't found". The query doesn't interpret this as "all the caches I have found AND all the caches I have not found", but rather as "all the caches I have both found and not found". Of course you cans have both found and not found the same cache, so they get zero results on the PQ.

GOOD LUCK!