Old Waterville Valley Road

JR-Keyz

I joined the site a long time ago, but never experienced Geocaching. I’m an old fashion bushwhacker. I use a map and compass.

My reason for this post is, there’s a Geocaching Box off an old logging road, (Old Waterville Valley Road, NH). It’s in the Foss Burbank Cemetery, a very old and sacred place. It dates back to the late 1800’s. The cemetery’s entrance is marked with three head stone belonging to babies, and the other 12 or so people there, died in their 20’s. I saw the box a few times….it’s waterlogged. I emptied out all the water, but what I’m really asking all of you; can you please move this Geocaching Box to a different location? I did a lot of research on this cemetery, and these poor people from England had it very hard. (As you can see by nobody living past the age of their 20’s) This is very sacred ground, IMO. The box is very easy to spot. The cemetery is small, and the box is a Tupperware, blue covered box, behind a tree on the south side of the cemetery.

I’m just asking you from one hiker, to another hiker…please leave this ground pure.

Thank You,

Joey

Likely to be this one The Old Waterville Road .

Logs reflect that it is not in the cemetery, but close to it. The cache page does not specifically say anything about a cemetery, but does provide a possible fleeting remark about being close.

Placed in 2006, CO -- the team that placed it -- last visited geocaching.com in 2007.

It looks as though Picarow and BamaBabe were part of that team and have assumed maintenance. Last visited cache in Jan, 2011.

Last found log Jun, 2011.

Certainly not a busy cache, but still valid on the face of it.

------------

This probably should be moved to a more appropriate forum.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I was just there this morning. It's off of Rt. 49, east of exit 28, off 93.

It is a very old cemetery called, The Burbank Foss Cemetery. It dates back to the 1800's.

I have a web site of all my hiking. Here's the link to the cemetery:

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/JoeR1956/library/Burbank%20Foss%20Cemetery

You guys do what you want...I don't want to argue with anyone.

I just gave you my thoughts about this cemetery. :)

I was just there this morning. It's off of Rt. 49, east of exit 28, off 93.

It is a very old cemetery called, The Burbank Foss Cemetery. It dates back to the 1800's.

I have a web site of all my hiking. Here's the link to the cemetery:

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/JoeR1956/library/Burbank%20Foss%20Cemetery

You guys do what you want...I don't want to argue with anyone.

I just gave you my thoughts about this cemetery. :)

No argument involved. I found the cemetery by performing a cemetery search (it is listed).

Using the coordinates (different format) from that site, I found the closest cache to it listed on geocaching.com. So, it is only a guess that the named cache is actually the one addressed. Some of that info was gleaned from the cache page, some from the logs filed.

The question comes up regarding what specific cache is there -- there are multiple cache listing sites, geocaching.com is not the only one.

Feel free to visit the cache page, it is linked in a previous response.

Outside of that, geocaching.com does not prohibit caches in or around cemeteries, regardless of age. Local laws may and sometimes do prohibit such activity. The fact that you yourself feel it is inappropriate is another matter. Others feel as you, many do not.

I do believe that this is a valid request on your part, be it honored or not. If nothing else, it probably should be discussed. Through those discussions, it may be determined that it should be removed (archived), but I would not hold my breath on that, as it is not my or your decision to make. There are procedures to have such things accomplished and time has proved that they are worthy procedures.

Thanks Gitchee for your thoughts about this. I’m not part of Geocaching, but I have found a few of your cache (is that what you call the boxes?) while bushwhacking. If you don’t mind, I’d love to post every now and then here. Oh…..that box in the Foss cemetery is in bad shape. It needs a new pad inside, and a better seal. Like I said, I did empty the water out of the box, but the writing pad in un-useable.

Pretty cool thing…this Geocaching. Every time I saw one of your boxes, I did put a sealed Wet Wipe inside. That’s about all I could offer, being into bushwhacking. I hope it came in handy for one of your members.

The original coordinates for this cache were 70 feet off and had the cache in the middle of the old road. I found it after searching for a while on 7-8-2011 and posted corrected coordinates which are now being used. If I recall the cache was up a slight bank from the old road and just outside the right rear corner of what would be the boundaries of the very overgrown cemetery. The listed cache owners have only 3 finds and appear to not be active but this is actually an account for a couple of very active cachers who have about 33,000 finds between them.

On a positive note, this cache has shown this old neglected cemetery to many people who otherwise could walk right by and never notice it was there. I believe around 1900 NH was about 90% farms and today it is 90% forest, or something like that. Knowing this it is easy to see why you will run across old cemeteries, stone walls, and foundations in what now is totally overgrown forest.

... The listed cache owners have only 3 finds and appear to not be active but this is actually an account for a couple of very active cachers who have about 33,000 finds between them. ...

Including finds on these 'team account' hides.

A good way to boost those numbers, eh? :huh:

Getting back on subject...

You could always plead your case to the local reviewer if you think it's inappropriate.